Homothetic triangles

  • Antreas
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2010
      Let ABC, A'B'C' be two homothetic triangles
      and X,Y,Z three collinear points.

      Are the triangles bounded by the lines
      (AX, BY, CZ) and (A'X, B'Y, C'Z) perspective?

      APH
    • Antreas
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        --- In Hyacinthos@yahoogroups.com, "Antreas" <anopolis72@...> wrote:

        > Let ABC, A'B'C' be two homothetic triangles
        > and X,Y,Z three collinear points.
        >
        > Are the triangles bounded by the lines
        > (AX, BY, CZ) and (A'X, B'Y, C'Z) perspective?

        As Francisco pointed out: "this follows inmediately from Desargues
        theorem for any ABC and A'B'C'"

        We can use it in the reference triangle ABC to get points,
        from two given triangles and three collinear points.

        Here is an example:

        Inside ABC exists a unique point P such that:
        Three Congruent (equal) circles (A'),(B'),(C') concur at P,
        and circle (A') touches the sides of the angle A,
        (B') of angle B and (C') of angle C.
        [A', B', C' are the centers of the circles]

        Now, let Lp a line passing through P and
        intersecting the circles (A'),(B'),(C') at
        X,Y,Z resp. (other than P).

        The triangles bounded by the lines
        (AX, BY, CZ) and (A'X, B'Y, C'Z) are perspective.

        Which is the locus of the perspectors
        as L moves around P?

        APH
      • Barry Wolk
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2010
          Antreas wrote:
          > Here is an example:
          >
          > Inside ABC exists a unique point P such that:
          > Three Congruent (equal) circles (A'),(B'),(C') concur at P,
          > and circle (A') touches the sides of the angle A,
          > (B') of angle B and (C') of angle C.
          > [A', B', C' are the centers of the circles]

          I get two such points P. If your 3 circles have radius r*R/(R+r)
          then P=X(55). And if their radius is r*R/(R-r) then P=X(56).
          --
          Barry Wolk
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2010
            On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Barry Wolk <wolkbarry@...> wrote:

            > Antreas wrote:
            > > Here is an example:
            > >
            > > Inside ABC exists a unique point P such that:
            > > Three Congruent (equal) circles (A'),(B'),(C') concur at P,
            > > and circle (A') touches the sides of the angle A,
            > > (B') of angle B and (C') of angle C.
            > > [A', B', C' are the centers of the circles]
            >
            > I get two such points P. If your 3 circles have radius r*R/(R+r)
            > then P=X(55). And if their radius is r*R/(R-r) then P=X(56).
            > --
            > Barry Wolk
            >

            > Indeed. Two points P. But I think only one point with circles centers
            inside triangle (that's what I had in mind)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25 5:04 PM
              Let ABC be a triangle and A'B'C' the cevian triangle of I.

              Denote:

              Bc, Cb = the reflections of B, C in CC', BB', resp.

              Oa = the circumcenter of ABcCb. Similarly Ob, Oc.

              OaObOc and the excentral triangle IaIbIc are homothetic.

              Which point is the homothetic center wrt triangles:

              1. ABC (on its OI line)

              2. OaObOc (on its Euler line)

              3. IaIbIc (on its Euler line)  ??

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25 6:05 PM

                [APH]:

                Let ABC be a triangle and A'B'C' the cevian triangle of I.

                Denote:

                Bc, Cb = the reflections of B, C in CC', BB', resp.

                Oa = the circumcenter of ABcCb. Similarly Ob, Oc.

                OaObOc and the excentral triangle IaIbIc are homothetic.

                Which point is the homothetic center wrt triangles:

                1. ABC (on its OI line)

                2. OaObOc (on its Euler line)

                3. IaIbIc (on its Euler line)  ??

                APH

                Locus:

                Let ABC be a triangle P a point and PaPbPc the antipedal triangle of P.

                Denote:

                Bc, Cb = the reflections of B, C in CP, BP, resp.

                Oa = the circumcenter of ABcCb. Similarly Ob,Oc.

                Which is the locus of P such that OaObOc, PaPbPc are perspective?

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26 4:39 AM

                  [APH]:

                  Let ABC be a triangle and A'B'C' the cevian triangle of I.

                  Denote:

                  Bc, Cb = the reflections of B, C in CC', BB', resp.

                  Oa = the circumcenter of ABcCb. Similarly Ob, Oc.

                  OaObOc and the excentral triangle IaIbIc are homothetic.

                  Which point is the homothetic center wrt triangles:

                  1. ABC (on its OI line)

                  2. OaObOc (on its Euler line)

                  3. IaIbIc (on its Euler line)  ??

                  APH