Re Pencil of conics

  • John Sharp
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2009
      Quim

      The two conics intersect in 4 pts.
      Choose any other point in the plane to give the 5th point of another conic
      of the pencil.
      It's a slightly different proposition if the two conics intersect in
      imaginary points.
      Then you have to determine how to draw the conic.
      I haven't thought this through, but I guess it involves the double points of
      an elliptic involution.
      I would go to Hatton's Geometry of the Imaginary for that.
      It's available on the Internet Archive

      http://www.archive.org/details.php?identifier=theoryoftheimagi033568mbp

      John S