[CEMI] Re: [EMHL] [CEMI] octagon

  • Alexey.A.Zaslavsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      Dear Francois!
      Thank you for interesting idea. I proved this theorem using the projective map transforming the line pqr to the infinite line. Also it can be obtained from some general facts of agebraic geometry.

      Sincerely Alexey

      Dear Alexey
      I did not know this theorem.
      You take any 8 points on a same conic and you note your intersections:
      p = (12,45), q= (34,67), r = (23,78), s= (56,81)
      Now you move point 8 on the conic and look at what happens.
      As points r and s are on some homographic range on the lines 23 and 56, line
      rs envelopes some conic tangent to the lines 12, 13, 23; 56, 57, 67 and pq,
      that's what you are meaning?
      Is there some duality around here, for starting from 8 points on a same
      conic, we get 8 lines tangent to another one!
      Friendly
      Francois