Re: general conjugacies

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 24 , May 31, 2008
      Dear Steve and friends,

      What makes us say a model conjugacy has four fixed points?

      Sincerely, Jeff

      On Oct 19, 2005, at 7:53 PM, Jeff Brooks wrote:

      > It really seems odd that only 4 or 2 fixed points should yield
      > conjugacies; certainly, I'm overlooking something obvious. I really
      > hate it when Mathematica says this involves solutions of
      > a "transcendental" nature..

      [Steve]
      Well I do not think it is odd because, as I understand them, we model
      conjugacies on the basic centroid ( or incenter) one, which has 4. We
      then use a projective transformation that fixes ABC into a new
      conjugacy. The number of fixed points are preserved.
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 2, 2008
        Dear Friends,

        Do the conjugacies or conjugate points in triangle geometry have
        anything to do with the conjugacy classes or conjugate elements in
        group theory? Does someone have an example?

        Sincerely, Jeff
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 2, 2008
          Dear Friends,

          Where does this name 'conjugate' come from in triangle geometry?

          Sincerely, Jeff