Re: [EMHL] English Language Question

  • Eisso J. Atzema
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2006
      l.c (Latin) = loco citato, that is: in the passage/work quoted...

      Eisso

      Quang Tuan Bui wrote:
      > Dear All My Friends,
      > When reading J.W. Clawson "The Complete Quadrilateral", so many times I see in the footnote the "l.c.". (The paper is not clear so I don't know 1.c. or l.c). For example page 233 footnote: "... It is the first of Steiner's theorems, l.c. ; ..." or page 235 footnote: "This is the second of Steiner's theorems, l.c...." or "This theorem was partially stated and proved by Davies, l.c...."
      > Could any body inform me:
      > - What is it exactly: 1.c. or l.c and what it means?
      > Thank you and best regards,
      > Bui Quang Tuan

      Eisso J. Atzema, Ph.D.
      Department of Mathematics & Statistics
      University of Maine
      Orono, ME 04469
      Tel.: (207) 581-3928 (office)
      (207) 866-3871 (home)
      Fax.: (207) 581-3902
      E-mail: atzema@...
    • Moses, Peter J. C.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2006
        Dear Tuan

        l.c. is an abbreviation for the Latin, loco citato, meaning "in the place or
        passage quoted"
        The abbreviation is often loc. cit.

        Best regards
        Peter.