Another way to look at X(1276) and X(1277).

  • space
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
      Dear all,

      In ETC, X(1276) and X(1277)(2nd and 3rd EVANS PERSPECTOR)
      are described as perspectors of excentral triangle and special
      triangles T, T'(some typoes in the description I believe).
      Moses(8/9/2004),further gave a relationship of these two points,
      X(1276) = inverse-in-Bevan-circle of X(1277).

      Here give another way to look at X(1276) and X(1277).
      Actually they are ISODYNAMIC POINTs X(15), X(16) wrt excentral
      triangle.

      Since X(15)=inverse-in-circumcircle of X(16) and the Bevan circle is
      the circumcircle of the excentral triangle,then the result of Moses
      follows obviously.

      I would like to suggest "double-index notation," Xd( p| q),
      to describe those notable points wrt special triangle.
      Xd( p| q) = X(p) wrt X(q)-special triangle,
      d denotes some kind of special triangle.
      I believe it is helpful to build new concept and extend Kimberling's
      points. For example:
      X(1277) = Xd(15| 1) = X(15)-of-excentral triangle
      X(1276) = Xd(16| 1) = X(16)-of-excentral triangle
      where d = "anticevian triangle" and
      excentral triangle= anticevian triangle of X(1).

      The properties of X(1276) and X(1277) in ETC is not many,
      now we know how to add more(with the help of X(15),X(16)). For
      example the pedal triangle of X(1276),X(1277) wrt excentral triangle
      is equilateral.

      Best regards
      Chia-Lin Hwang
      Taipei, Taiwan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
        Dear friends

        let P be a point in the plane of triangle ABC

        let I be the incenter of the cevian triangle of P

        what are the regions of the plane which cannot contain I ?

        all the best for 2006 to all of you

      • 黃嘉麟
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
          Dear all,

          Sorry, my mistake, there is no typo in the description of X(1276) and X(1277) in ETC.

          For the concyclic properties of X(1), X(484), X(1276), X(1277), here is another proof.
          X(1277) = Xd( 15| 1), X(1276) = Xd( 16| 1),
          X( 1) = Xd( 4| 1), X( 484) = Xd(186| 1). d = "anticevian triangle"
          Since X(15)=inverse-in-circumcircle of X(16) and X(4)=inverse-in-circumcircle of X(186), it is easy to show X(4),X(186),X(15),X(16) are concyclic. Then it follows that X(1), X(484), X(1276), X(1277) are also concyclic.

          Note: For a circle with center O, radius R, if (P1,P2) and (Q1,Q2) are inverse pairs in circle O, then OP1*OP2=OQ1*OQ2=R^2. So triangle OP1Q2 is similar to triangle OP2Q1 and P1,P2,Q1,Q2 are concyclic.

          Happy new year
          Best regards
          Chia-Lin Hwang

          space <hwangd2000@...> 說:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ___________________________________________________ 最新版 Yahoo!奇摩即時通訊 7.0,免費網路電話任你打! http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/

        • Steve Sigur
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
            Bernard,

            What a wonderful problem.

            Let the seven regions of the Plane of ABC be numbered as

            0 for the central region
            1,2,3 for the regions found by crossing (from the central region) the
            a,b, c segments of ABC.
            4,5,6 for the regions found by crossing the vertices.

            The incenter can be anywhere in the central region. There is always
            an excenter in the central region as well (from observation).

            For 1,2,3
            Consider the triangle plane with the ex-median lines added.

            If the point you mean is the incenter of the triangle formed by the
            three lines that form the Cevian triangle of P, then this center
            changes discontinuously as P crosses an exmedian line and a Cevian
            vertex travels through the line at infinity. So the incenter (defined
            thusly) will never be in a region between an exmedian and an edge.

            For 4, 5, 6

            There seems to be a curve they cannot cross so the incenter cannot be
            everywhere in this region, but I cannot figure out what the crurve is.

            What a wonderful problem,

            Back from Princeton,

            Steve