Re: 76 wr360 update. decel power pulses.

  • blauerstriefn
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
      Thanks guys!
      My husqy starts and idles smoothly. starts cold usimg the enricher lever, runs rough after warm.if enrich is used. Its the power pulses on decel that bother me. I dont want to melt a piston.

      I thought i was dealing with the idle circuit since i wasnt even touching the throtle while starting.
      Unless maybe the idle speed screw was lifting the slide too much during the starting process.
      Im at 1 1/4 turns out on airscrew.
      Float levels are exact. I have the two independnt floats, with a float arm shaped like
      ___
      |___

      with lower arm 17-19mm off the bowl seat bead using the 3/4" stanley knife blade width technique from youtube. Each arm adjusted meticulously.

      I was battling low float levels, with too big of jets.
      Im going to try the no main jet technique.

      Any more opinions on the sudden stalls?
      --- In HuskyOwners@yahoogroups.com, "ronsracers" <CoolHuh73@...> wrote:

      > Where is the air screw? With the proper pilot jet your engine should idle smoothly with the air screw backed out between 1-1/2 to 2 turns.
      > Less than 1 turn your pilot is to small. More than 2 turns and your pilot is to large.
      > If the engine speed increases as you adjust the air screw, slow the idle down and adjust again.
      > Once you have the air screw set, you can fine tune by whacking the throtttle open and adjust usually a 1/4 turn in either direction to improve throttle response.
      > Have you verified the float specs for your carb and confirmed your float setting?
      > A high float level will richen your jetting across the board, especially at idle and slow speeds.
      > I agree with Brian, a pilot less than 35 sounds awfully lean.
      > I run a 40 in my 250CR.
      > A 410 main sounds reasonable, but nobody can tell you what your bike needs. You will have to do wide open chops, to read your plug color and that is only perfect on that day.
      > Changes in barometric pressure and temperature can change things in the same day.
      > Best to start with to large of a main jet and work down until it cleans out at wide open. To be safe, error on the rich side.
      > Here's a test I always do. If your needle and seat are to small, it won't matter how large your main jet is.
      > Raise the clip on the needle to the top position and run the bike with the main jet removed.
      > It will start and idle normal and run fine up to 3/4 throttle. From 3/4 to wide open it should blubber badly.
      > If it continues to rev close to wide open, your needle jet is to small.
      >
      > Ron
      >

      > --- In HuskyOwners@yahoogroups.com, Brian Kirby <bkirby84c@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Are you sure its the pilot circuit that is rich and not the needle jet? The pilot ONLY effects idle, as soon as you crack the throttle even the slightest bit its the needle, needle jet and the slide cutaway. I've seen a lot of bikes where people super-leaned out the pilot trying to fix a rich needle jet. As a guess, I would say a 35 is the leanest that bike should have, but I've never worked on a 360 so I cant say for certain.
      > >

      > > Brian
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • ronsracers
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
        With the throttle closed the only path for fuel is the pilot jet, the engine sound should remain constant on decel.
        Once you crack the throttle, it should pull smoothly. Holding the throttle steady on level ground, should make it 4 stroke a bit.
        The only thing I can think of that would cause the engine rpm to change with throttle closed, is an air leak.

        --- In HuskyOwners@yahoogroups.com, "blauerstriefn" <jason.l@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > Raise the clip on the needle to the top position and run the bike with the main jet removed.
        > > It will start and idle normal and run fine up to 3/4 throttle. From 3/4 to wide open it should blubber badly.
        > > If it continues to rev close to wide open, your needle jet is to small.
        > >
        > > Ron
        > >

        > > --- In HuskyOwners@yahoogroups.com, Brian Kirby <bkirby84c@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Are you sure its the pilot circuit that is rich and not the needle jet? The pilot ONLY effects idle, as soon as you crack the throttle even the slightest bit its the needle, needle jet and the slide cutaway. I've seen a lot of bikes where people super-leaned out the pilot trying to fix a rich needle jet. As a guess, I would say a 35 is the leanest that bike should have, but I've never worked on a 360 so I cant say for certain.

      • Robert Smell
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
          Hi,

          I've been following this thread, and please post the You Tube address, for adjusting the independent floats.

          Thanks,

          Bob

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 5, 2012
            Thanks ron.

            I just tried going in another quarter turn on the airscrew. Ot is now exactly ome turn out.

            It started right up. I rode around the yard a little. And then did abouit a tenth of a mile accel, then hard decel.

            I think the quarter turn less pilot air did the trick!!
            Hopefully it will be good for the six days!

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 7, 2012
              Search you tube for "checking the float level on a mikuni VM38 carb"
              The guy is sitting at an end table in a living room

            • greg@premoconstruction.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 7, 2012
                here is the link