176RE: Huachuca Station

  • gemjlm2
    Nov 25, 2013

       Your in the correct site. Just go to the files and you will find the history of Huachuca City that I have been putting together, The Huachuca/Turner/Campstone Train Stations/Post offices are all the same place just different times and different owners. The building still stands on railroad Ave just to the West of Huachuca City.

      If you need additional info you can contact me at:

      E-mail: gemjlm2@...

      Ph# 1-520-456-1237(home) or 1354(work)

      307 Elgin St, Huachuca City, AZ 85616-9706

      Best Wishes Gene&Jan McCullough.

      ---In HuachucaCityAz@yahoogroups.com, <glane@...> wrote:

      Does anyone on this group know the history of the railroads that served the area?  I found a photograph of the “Huachuca” Station prior to 1926.  The note on the photo says that the Station was renamed Campstone on June 15, 1926.  I understand that this is now Huachuca City.  I have a second photograph that shows a train station on Ft. Huachuca in 1924 which I assume is the Southern Pacific RR station on the spur built from Lewis Springs to Ft. Huachuca in 1913.

      Can you confirm for me that there were two different railroad stations, one at Huachuca City and the other on Ft. Huachuca.  I know that the El Paso and Southwestern RR built the spur from Lewis Springs to Ft. Huachuca with the first train arriving on Feb. 16, 1913.  In 1923, the Southern Pacific RR bought the rights to this line.  I am trying to figure out where the El Paso and Southwestern line going to Huachuca City originated.  Was it a separate line directly from Benson to Nogales?  Or was it from Benson to Fairbanks and then to Nogales?

      I have attached the two photographs and would greatly appreciate any comments you can make.

      Thank you,

      George Lane

      Silver Spring MD  (formerly of Sierra Vista from 1972 – 83)

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic