Re: New to group & DD'ing

  • geneandbrenda2004
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
      Wells, theres 2 of us in this area of town, lets see what happens now.

      --- In HoustonDumpsterDivers@yahoogroups.com, "mom2esd" <mom2esd@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey, ya'll:
      > I'm new to the group and to DD'ing. I live in the NW part of
      > Houston (I45/Louetta/1960) and would be open to the suggestion I've
      > seen in other posts about getting together a group. I have always
      > been interested in DD'ing, just never got around to doing it on my
      > own. None of the friends I've talked to about are even a tiny bit
      > interested in joining me and I think I'd really rather go with a
      > buddy or friend or in a group. Just seems safer to me especially
      > since it seems like alot or most DD'ing is done after dark.
      >
      > I'm watching Oprah (today is Wednesday 2-27) right now and she
      > started out talking about "freegans" who DD at grocery stores for
      > perfectly good food ~ all sorts from what I saw on the show:
      > boxed/packaged foods, fresh/perishable foods like fruit & veg,
      meat,
      > chic, seafood (that one is the only one that scares me!) & dairy.
      > When I heard they were DD'ing for food my 1st thought
      > was GROSS OUT, but after seeing how one woman lives off of food
      from
      > DD and then a group doing a "tour" to DD for food it changed my
      > mind. Seems like grocery stores throw out tons of totally good
      > stuff. I mean PERFECTLY good stuff! Anyone here do this type of
      > DD'ing?
      >
      > FYI: there is a big garage sale on Saturday (3-1-08) at the Klein
      ISD
      > Instructional Center (4411 Louetta Rd.). I am thinking it will
      be
      > pretty big since the Instructional Center is a fairly large and
      there
      > are signs posted about it all the Klein ISD schools I've
      > passed by (to me that means maybe the staff at the schools are in
      on
      > it also which would make it an even bigger sale, ya know?). In my
      > experience sales put on by groups like this are
      > usually the best ones: plenty of nice stuff and prices like prices
      > should
      > be at a garage sale, kwim? Too many garage sales out there are
      > pricing stuff like its dipped in gold or new & right off the store
      > shelf. If I wanted to pay RETAIL prices I'd go to the store
      > and pay it there~not in someone's drive-way. SHEESH!
      >

      > So anyone who wants to put a group together, let me know cuz I'd
      love
      > to join up w/ ya. It would be nice to join up and DD with folks
      who
      > dont think I'm crazy for wanting to do it AND who are "experienced"
      > at it. I'm a DD'ing virgin!
      >
      > Thanks in advance~
      > LA

    • marneliahamilton
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
        I also watched Oprah and I'm definately interested. I live 1960/I-45
        as well.

        Let's keep in touch.

        --- In HoustonDumpsterDivers@yahoogroups.com, "geneandbrenda2004"
        <geneandbrenda2004@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > on
        > > it also which would make it an even bigger sale, ya know?). In
        my
        > > experience sales put on by groups like this are
        > > usually the best ones: plenty of nice stuff and prices like
        prices
        > > should
        > > be at a garage sale, kwim? Too many garage sales out there are
        > > pricing stuff like its dipped in gold or new & right off the
        store
        > > shelf. If I wanted to pay RETAIL prices I'd go to the store
        > > and pay it there~not in someone's drive-way. SHEESH!
        > >

        > > So anyone who wants to put a group together, let me know cuz I'd
        > love
        > > to join up w/ ya. It would be nice to join up and DD with folks
        > who
        > > dont think I'm crazy for wanting to do it AND who

      • Cherise Scally
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
          There is 4 of us now! It wont be long now till we can get started
          Freegan Style!
          Cherise