Re: New to group & DD'ing

  • Cherise Scally
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
      I am new to the group as well. I just watched Oprah and started really
      looking for organized participation in this endeavor. I have found
      great items in the past this way but never thought of it as a way of
      making a statement before. I believe we waste too much and buy too
      much on the backs of less fortunate people. I am working on a life
      change that is green, organic, healthy and now as free as possible. I
      would love to get together with others in the Spring area 1960 to 242
      in the Woodlands that are living this lifestyle.

      Looking forward to hearing from new FREEGANS!
      Cherise
    • geneandbrenda2004
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
        Wells, theres 2 of us in this area of town, lets see what happens now.

        --- In HoustonDumpsterDivers@yahoogroups.com, "mom2esd" <mom2esd@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey, ya'll:
        > I'm new to the group and to DD'ing. I live in the NW part of
        > Houston (I45/Louetta/1960) and would be open to the suggestion I've
        > seen in other posts about getting together a group. I have always
        > been interested in DD'ing, just never got around to doing it on my
        > own. None of the friends I've talked to about are even a tiny bit
        > interested in joining me and I think I'd really rather go with a
        > buddy or friend or in a group. Just seems safer to me especially
        > since it seems like alot or most DD'ing is done after dark.
        >
        > I'm watching Oprah (today is Wednesday 2-27) right now and she
        > started out talking about "freegans" who DD at grocery stores for
        > perfectly good food ~ all sorts from what I saw on the show:
        > boxed/packaged foods, fresh/perishable foods like fruit & veg,
        meat,
        > chic, seafood (that one is the only one that scares me!) & dairy.
        > When I heard they were DD'ing for food my 1st thought
        > was GROSS OUT, but after seeing how one woman lives off of food
        from
        > DD and then a group doing a "tour" to DD for food it changed my
        > mind. Seems like grocery stores throw out tons of totally good
        > stuff. I mean PERFECTLY good stuff! Anyone here do this type of
        > DD'ing?
        >
        > FYI: there is a big garage sale on Saturday (3-1-08) at the Klein
        ISD
        > Instructional Center (4411 Louetta Rd.). I am thinking it will
        be
        > pretty big since the Instructional Center is a fairly large and
        there
        > are signs posted about it all the Klein ISD schools I've
        > passed by (to me that means maybe the staff at the schools are in
        on
        > it also which would make it an even bigger sale, ya know?). In my
        > experience sales put on by groups like this are
        > usually the best ones: plenty of nice stuff and prices like prices
        > should
        > be at a garage sale, kwim? Too many garage sales out there are
        > pricing stuff like its dipped in gold or new & right off the store
        > shelf. If I wanted to pay RETAIL prices I'd go to the store
        > and pay it there~not in someone's drive-way. SHEESH!
        >

        > So anyone who wants to put a group together, let me know cuz I'd
        love
        > to join up w/ ya. It would be nice to join up and DD with folks
        who
        > dont think I'm crazy for wanting to do it AND who are "experienced"
        > at it. I'm a DD'ing virgin!
        >
        > Thanks in advance~
        > LA

      • marneliahamilton
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
          I also watched Oprah and I'm definately interested. I live 1960/I-45
          as well.

          Let's keep in touch.

          --- In HoustonDumpsterDivers@yahoogroups.com, "geneandbrenda2004"
          <geneandbrenda2004@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > on
          > > it also which would make it an even bigger sale, ya know?). In
          my
          > > experience sales put on by groups like this are
          > > usually the best ones: plenty of nice stuff and prices like
          prices
          > > should
          > > be at a garage sale, kwim? Too many garage sales out there are
          > > pricing stuff like its dipped in gold or new & right off the
          store
          > > shelf. If I wanted to pay RETAIL prices I'd go to the store
          > > and pay it there~not in someone's drive-way. SHEESH!
          > >

          > > So anyone who wants to put a group together, let me know cuz I'd
          > love
          > > to join up w/ ya. It would be nice to join up and DD with folks
          > who
          > > dont think I'm crazy for wanting to do it AND who

        • Cherise Scally
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
            There is 4 of us now! It wont be long now till we can get started
            Freegan Style!
            Cherise