New to group & DD'ing

  • mom2esd
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
      Hey, ya'll:
      I'm new to the group and to DD'ing. I live in the NW part of
      Houston (I45/Louetta/1960) and would be open to the suggestion I've
      seen in other posts about getting together a group. I have always
      been interested in DD'ing, just never got around to doing it on my
      own. None of the friends I've talked to about are even a tiny bit
      interested in joining me and I think I'd really rather go with a
      buddy or friend or in a group. Just seems safer to me especially
      since it seems like alot or most DD'ing is done after dark.

      I'm watching Oprah (today is Wednesday 2-27) right now and she
      started out talking about "freegans" who DD at grocery stores for
      perfectly good food ~ all sorts from what I saw on the show:
      boxed/packaged foods, fresh/perishable foods like fruit & veg, meat,
      chic, seafood (that one is the only one that scares me!) & dairy.
      When I heard they were DD'ing for food my 1st thought
      was GROSS OUT, but after seeing how one woman lives off of food from
      DD and then a group doing a "tour" to DD for food it changed my
      mind. Seems like grocery stores throw out tons of totally good
      stuff. I mean PERFECTLY good stuff! Anyone here do this type of
      DD'ing?

      FYI: there is a big garage sale on Saturday (3-1-08) at the Klein ISD
      Instructional Center (4411 Louetta Rd.). I am thinking it will be
      pretty big since the Instructional Center is a fairly large and there
      are signs posted about it all the Klein ISD schools I've
      passed by (to me that means maybe the staff at the schools are in on
      it also which would make it an even bigger sale, ya know?). In my
      experience sales put on by groups like this are
      usually the best ones: plenty of nice stuff and prices like prices
      should
      be at a garage sale, kwim? Too many garage sales out there are
      pricing stuff like its dipped in gold or new & right off the store
      shelf. If I wanted to pay RETAIL prices I'd go to the store
      and pay it there~not in someone's drive-way. SHEESH!

      So anyone who wants to put a group together, let me know cuz I'd love
      to join up w/ ya. It would be nice to join up and DD with folks who
      dont think I'm crazy for wanting to do it AND who are "experienced"
      at it. I'm a DD'ing virgin!

      Thanks in advance~
      LA
    • Cherise Scally
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
        I am new to the group as well. I just watched Oprah and started really
        looking for organized participation in this endeavor. I have found
        great items in the past this way but never thought of it as a way of
        making a statement before. I believe we waste too much and buy too
        much on the backs of less fortunate people. I am working on a life
        change that is green, organic, healthy and now as free as possible. I
        would love to get together with others in the Spring area 1960 to 242
        in the Woodlands that are living this lifestyle.

        Looking forward to hearing from new FREEGANS!
        Cherise
      • geneandbrenda2004
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
          Wells, theres 2 of us in this area of town, lets see what happens now.

          --- In HoustonDumpsterDivers@yahoogroups.com, "mom2esd" <mom2esd@...>
          wrote:

          > Hey, ya'll:
          > I'm new to the group and to DD'ing. I live in the NW part of
          > Houston (I45/Louetta/1960) and would be open to the suggestion I've
          > seen in other posts about getting together a group. I have always
          > been interested in DD'ing, just never got around to doing it on my
          > own. None of the friends I've talked to about are even a tiny bit
          > interested in joining me and I think I'd really rather go with a
          > buddy or friend or in a group. Just seems safer to me especially
          > since it seems like alot or most DD'ing is done after dark.
          >
          > I'm watching Oprah (today is Wednesday 2-27) right now and she
          > started out talking about "freegans" who DD at grocery stores for
          > perfectly good food ~ all sorts from what I saw on the show:
          > boxed/packaged foods, fresh/perishable foods like fruit & veg,
          meat,
          > chic, seafood (that one is the only one that scares me!) & dairy.
          > When I heard they were DD'ing for food my 1st thought
          > was GROSS OUT, but after seeing how one woman lives off of food
          from
          > DD and then a group doing a "tour" to DD for food it changed my
          > mind. Seems like grocery stores throw out tons of totally good
          > stuff. I mean PERFECTLY good stuff! Anyone here do this type of
          > DD'ing?
          >
          > FYI: there is a big garage sale on Saturday (3-1-08) at the Klein
          ISD
          > Instructional Center (4411 Louetta Rd.). I am thinking it will
          be
          > pretty big since the Instructional Center is a fairly large and
          there
          > are signs posted about it all the Klein ISD schools I've
          > passed by (to me that means maybe the staff at the schools are in
          on
          > it also which would make it an even bigger sale, ya know?). In my
          > experience sales put on by groups like this are
          > usually the best ones: plenty of nice stuff and prices like prices
          > should
          > be at a garage sale, kwim? Too many garage sales out there are
          > pricing stuff like its dipped in gold or new & right off the store
          > shelf. If I wanted to pay RETAIL prices I'd go to the store
          > and pay it there~not in someone's drive-way. SHEESH!
          >

          > So anyone who wants to put a group together, let me know cuz I'd
          love
          > to join up w/ ya. It would be nice to join up and DD with folks
          who
          > dont think I'm crazy for wanting to do it AND who are "experienced"
          > at it. I'm a DD'ing virgin!
          >
          > Thanks in advance~
          > LA

        • marneliahamilton
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
            I also watched Oprah and I'm definately interested. I live 1960/I-45
            as well.

            Let's keep in touch.

            --- In HoustonDumpsterDivers@yahoogroups.com, "geneandbrenda2004"
            <geneandbrenda2004@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > on
            > > it also which would make it an even bigger sale, ya know?). In
            my
            > > experience sales put on by groups like this are
            > > usually the best ones: plenty of nice stuff and prices like
            prices
            > > should
            > > be at a garage sale, kwim? Too many garage sales out there are
            > > pricing stuff like its dipped in gold or new & right off the
            store
            > > shelf. If I wanted to pay RETAIL prices I'd go to the store
            > > and pay it there~not in someone's drive-way. SHEESH!
            > >

            > > So anyone who wants to put a group together, let me know cuz I'd
            > love
            > > to join up w/ ya. It would be nice to join up and DD with folks
            > who
            > > dont think I'm crazy for wanting to do it AND who

          • Cherise Scally
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2008
              There is 4 of us now! It wont be long now till we can get started
              Freegan Style!
              Cherise