Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: HouseBun- Amputation over two bones?

Expand Messages
  • Melody Hoffman
    Patricia and Nala, You should consider amputation for Luna (Love that name!) very seriously. Some vets will tell you that a rabbit only lives a short time
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2012
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Patricia and Nala, You should consider amputation for Luna (Love that name!) very seriously. Some vets will tell you that a rabbit only lives a short time after an amputation even if it is necessary. Do some searching on line and get another opinion if you can. I'm with you both on using caution to make this big decision. I've had lots of house rabbits over the years but never one with a broken bone. Maybe others on list can be of help.

      Melody in W. WA with Oreo and The Amazing Randi 


      ________________________________
      From: isnobleborn <isnobleborn@...>
      To: HouseBun@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 12:06 AM
      Subject: HouseBun- Amputation over two bones?


       
      Hello Everyone!

      We didn't think we should go for amputation, was this a wrong call? Has anyone had a bunny break their leg and tried to cast it?

      Any advice, experiences would be great!

      Worried Patricia and Nala with Eva Luna.




      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Tammy Hollingsworth
      Hello, I don t know about your situation, but I will share what happened to us for what it is worth. Our Dobby was injured, suffering a broken jaw. My rabbit
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2012
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Hello,



        I don't know about your situation, but I will share what happened to us for
        what it is worth.



        Our Dobby was injured, suffering a broken jaw. My rabbit vet did Xrays to
        confirm. Our choices were to operate and try to set, which might or might
        not work and was very expensive, euthanize, or let nature take its course.
        We opted for the third option. We kept him on complete cage rest for quite
        a while; maybe three weeks? Once he was able to eat hay normally, we allowed
        him out but monitored very closely for several weeks; no hopping up into
        windows and such as he's prone to do. When I took him back to the vet and
        she did a follow-up x-ray, she said the heaaaling was amazing; and he has
        had no problems since. He is six years old; this happened when he was about
        two.



        I have not had time to read all the follow-up emails on this topic, so don't
        know what advice others have given. But, just letting nature take its
        course worked for us. The vet had him on pain meds and antibiotic to
        prevent infection. It's a hard decision to make, but if you can wait and
        see what nature does with medication to assist, couldn't the amputation
        wait?



        Hope this helps; feel free to write me privately if you like.



        Tammymom2@...



        Tammy H

        _____

        From: HouseBun@yahoogroups.com [mailto:HouseBun@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of Melody Hoffman
        Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:32 PM
        To: HouseBun@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: HouseBun- Amputation over two bones?





        Patricia and Nala, You should consider amputation for Luna (Love that name!)
        very seriously. Some vets will tell you that a rabbit only lives a short
        time after an amputation even if it is necessary. Do some searching on line
        and get another opinion if you can. I'm with you both on using caution to
        make this big decision. I've had lots of house rabbits over the years but
        never one with a broken bone. Maybe others on list can be of help.

        Melody in W. WA with Oreo and The Amazing Randi

        ________________________________
        From: isnobleborn <isnobleborn@... <mailto:isnobleborn%40yahoo.com> >
        To: HouseBun@yahoogroups.com <mailto:HouseBun%40yahoogroups.com>
        Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 12:06 AM
        Subject: HouseBun- Amputation over two bones?



        Hello Everyone!

        We didn't think we should go for amputation, was this a wrong call? Has
        anyone had a bunny break their leg and tried to cast it?

        Any advice, experiences would be great!

        Worried Patricia and Nala with Eva Luna.

        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • isnobleborn
        Hello Everyone! So we decided to go for the cast. Luna has had the cast for 4 days now, the inflammation has gone down with medication and on Tuesday will be a
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2012
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          Hello Everyone!

          So we decided to go for the cast. Luna has had the cast for 4 days now, the inflammation has gone down with medication and on Tuesday will be a re-casting with possible X-ray. She seems in a good mood, eating again and all. I am really glad that we fought against the amputation, because it really sounded so precipitated, like the vet was in a hurry, after the X-ray she backed down, but then, why suggest things without knowing for sure?

          Hopefully in a few weeks she will be back on her feet and happy. Thanks all for the support and advice. It´s been great help to make an educated decision.

          Patricia and Nala with Luna
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.