I need advice on my rabbit

  • turtle_queen89
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
      I have an 11 week old dwarf lop eared bunny and she has been eating
      alot lately and i wasnt concerned at first bc I thought she was eating
      more bc she was growing. tonight i took her outside like I always do
      and she was playing in the grass. i didnt think anything of it until I
      picked her up and saw a tapeworm on her foot. imidiatly I got it off of
      her and brought her inside and into her cage. A few minutes later I
      came back to get her out of her cage, thats when i noticed mushy poop
      on her and tapeworms everywhere. what should I do??
    • shannca7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2008
        Getting her to the vet is my first thought. Are you positive they are
        tapeworms? Either way, get her to the vet!
        Shannon

        In a message dated 11/10/2008 15:13 Eastern Standard Time,
        turtle_queen89@... writes:

        A few minutes later I
        came back to get her out of her cage, thats when i noticed mushy poop
        on her and tapeworms everywhere. what should I do??

        Holiday needs. Search Now.
        -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

      • shannca7@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2008
          The reason I asked if you are sure these are tapeworms is because I'm
          wondering if they are possibly maggots? I wonder if she has flystrike? If this is
          the case, seeking veterinary care must be done ASAP!!! Flystrike is often
          deadly if not treated within 24 hours or so. PLEASE, get your rabbit to a vet.
          Anytime worms or something like this is discovered, you need to go to the vet.

        • krsbunny@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2008
            You need to take her to a rabbit-savvy vet as soon as you can get her seen. I'm sure this is treatable, but requires veterinary knowledge to confirm diagnosis of the (type of) worms and prescribe the correct treatment.

            Kathy Smith
            Author, Rabbit Health in the 21st Century
            Co-Author, When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care

            -------------- Original message from "turtle_queen89" <turtle_queen89@...>: --------------

            tonight i took her outside like I always do
            > and she was playing in the grass. i didnt think anything of it until I
            > picked her up and saw a tapeworm on her foot. imidiatly I got it off of
            > her and brought her inside and into her cage. A few minutes later I
            > came back to get her out of her cage, thats when i noticed mushy poop
            > on her and tapeworms everywhere. what should I do??

          • Nancy Furstinger
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
              Yes, I agree with Kathy 100%. Tapeworms are very easy to treat (my
              dogs got them from eating deer poop), but need a rabbit savvy vet to
              prescribe the correct meds.

              Peaceful wishes,

              Nancy
              animalauthor@...
              Think it's tough putting on a condom? Try doing it with paws and
              claws! Please spay/neuter your pet.