RE: HouseBun- Dry ears?

  • Christine Simms
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      It could be any number of things I guess. Try a little antiseptic cream
      with caution. If that doesn't help then I'd get it checked at the vet.
      May be just a dry patch and nothing to worry about.

      Christine
    • Dee F
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        I have a mini lop whose right ear ends up in the water
        dish alot. Is that bad?

        Also, when my vet de-nutted Alf, she also checked his
        teeth & ears and clipped his nails. Afterwards, she
        said he had had alot of ear wax in his ears.

        How do I clean the wax? I've been using a q-tip with
        cloth wrapped around it and gently rubbing it inside
        of his ears - but I'm afraid to go down too far.
        (BTW, he LOVES it when I do it)

        Thanks,
        dee

        Do the ears get wet ever? My little lop tends to dip
        the tips of his ears in his water bowl, so I have to
        keep a check on them that they are dry and clean
        (they've never been sore or scaly)

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Christine Simms
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hi

          I don't think it bad that the ears get wet, just need to check that they
          do dry ok and don't get sore with getting wet. So far it hasn't been a
          problem for mine - I just thought it might be the cause of the dry
          patches for the other bunny.

          I've never cleaned out ears, vet checks them and they are ok so I leave
          well alone, but I would guess you are right not to clean down too far.
        • Kerry
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
            --- In HouseBun@yahoogroups.com, Dee F <dee_fox777@y...> wrote:
            > I have a mini lop whose right ear ends up in the water
            > dish alot. Is that bad?
            >
            > Also, when my vet de-nutted Alf, she also checked his
            > teeth & ears and clipped his nails. Afterwards, she
            > said he had had alot of ear wax in his ears.
            >
            > How do I clean the wax? I've been using a q-tip with
            > cloth wrapped around it and gently rubbing it inside
            > of his ears - but I'm afraid to go down too far.
            > (BTW, he LOVES it when I do it)
            >
            > Thanks,
            > dee

            Dee,

            I have never had a problem with lop ears in the waterdish either.

            For cleaning, and I do a LOT of ears, as I do rescue, I use a drop or
            two of mineral oil in the ear canal. Be careful not to put in more,
            as it is difficult to get larger amounts out. I then rub the base of
            the ear with my thumb and forefinger to loosen up the wax. I use a Q-
            tip to pull out the loosened wax, by pulling it up along the side of
            the inner ear, and not pushing the Q-tip down, directly into the ear
            canal. Most of the time, the big clump of wax comes right out. It
            seems the lops get wax more frequently than "uppy" ear bunnies, from
            what I have seen.

            Kerry
            www.rabbithabit.org