RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Ostryzniuk search

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2013

      Hi Evan,

      Welcome to the family – I think everyone in the village had an Ostryzniuk relative.  Ostryzniuk must have been  one of the more common names in  Hostow/Hostiv and I suspect it still is .  My Great grandmother was an Ostryzniuk (Born~1870), and a long way back  eg early 1800’s I have Krzyszczuks.  I wasn’t able to track down any recent Ostryzniuk relative when I was there in 2010  (G Grandmother  Parascowa Ostryzniuk B 1870  married 1899 to Antonius Grzegorczyn. Parascowa’s parents were  Michael Ostryzniuk and Marija Fediuk). I have some thoughts on the family tree going further back, but absolute links aren’t possible at this stage.

      Unfortunately,  from what I have seen there are huge gaps in the births and marriages held by the Latter Day Saints (LDS) in their microfilms.  It is all a bit of hit and miss to get your family tree going.    I’m not aware of any Mykhailo Ostryzniuk that was born around 1895.  Sounds like he was pretty young when he travelled to the Canada(~16).   My father’s uncle travelled there as well ( Jozef Andrzejczuk/Andrejchuk) around the same time.

      My gut feel on this is that you probably have a couple of best options;

      a.       The Canadian records immigration records or his death certificate may have the name of his parents on it.   Sometimes first names are quite unique;  the information will allow others in the group to view their records and tell you whether they have a match.  There are just too many Ostryzniuk’ s.

      b.      Not far from Hostiv today, the regional office of Tlumach is located.  I believe they keep copies of birth records etc and once they reach 100 years they are then destined to go to the archives.   Even through the your grandfather was born in 1895, there may be other entries that were added in 1935. Hence, you grandfathers records may be still held in that office.

      The other option is to look through the LDS microfilms (or visit the archives in Lviv) to see if you can find something.  (Alex Dunai  and his wife are  Reseacher in Lviv at Western rates)

      If you want to progress something like b. , you could discuss this research with someone like  Vladimir through the information below.  He is very contactable.  He has done some translating for me in the past and does speak and write in English or Ukrainian.  I have attached the link also  to his website.

      Look forward to hearing how you get on if you try the Tlumach option  -  I was going to visit the office in 2010 but ran out of time to explore the Ostryzniuk/Fediuk  line and my  Maksylewicz line-  I would have loved to have stayed in the area for another week!

      Cheers,

      Steve

      Australia

      researcher in Ukraine

      Vladimir Kreshchishin

      http://ukrainepostalexpress.com

      vkresh@...

      vladimir@...

      vkresh@...

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2013
        Evan

        So you probably seen this link before for the Canadian Archives http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-908-e.html

        Being the Canadian government it is not intuitive at all but I bet you can find your grandfathers records.  It should be a start.

        Don Moskaluk

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Hostow_Galicia_Village-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Hostow_Galicia_Village-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • rod lisenchuk
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2013
          Hi Evan....my grandfather came from Hostiv as well and settled in Thunder Bay in 1905/1906 . His surname was Lysenczuk.
          Rod Lisenchuk

          To: Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , May 22, 2013
            Hello Don,

            I have been out of town for a while. Thanks for the link. Actually, I do know the names of my great-grandfather and grandmother, who remained in Hostiw. I am hoping to get material from the Ukraine-side.

            Cheers,

            Evan Ostryzniuk

            To: Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , May 22, 2013
              HI Rod. Have you come across any other names from that period? I am also researching the fate of Mary Stochla, who live in Thunder Bay at that time.

              Thanks,

              Evan Ostryzniuk

              To: hostow_galicia_village@yahoogroups.com
              From: kk22kk@...