Hostow - Hostiv and Surrounds

  • Grecko
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2010
      Hi
      I've just uploaded some images that I took recently when travelling in the Hostow/Hostiv area which included Nowe Krzywotuly/Novi Kryvotuly, Hostow/Hostiv, Ternowica Polna/Ternovytsiya, Ottynia/Otyniya, Karolowka/Karolivka, Bortniki/Bortynky, Chocimierz/Khotymyr, Obertyn, Zukow/Zhukiv, Bohorodyczyn/Bohorodychyn, Mykhapkiv for those interested in looking at the scenery in not only Hostiv but the area aroudn it also. The photo's were taken in late May/ Early June during spring. There was quite a bit of rain at that time, and I was fortunate that it didn't affect. There was also a bit of sun around resulting in some locals getting sunburnt.
      For me Hostiv, Bohorodychyn and Otyniya were the areas were I spent most of my short time (A couple of more days would have been great), and wow what fantastic people. During my visit, I was very fortunate to attend church on the Sunday and actually locate where my ancestors lived in Hostiv and where my family lived for 14 years in Bohorodychyn just prior to WWII. Unfortunately, I was not able to locate any old maps with house numbers, despite going to both the Lviv, Ivano Frankivsk archives and Hostiv village council. Suspect they were distroyed during the war. Hence, I was just lucky that I met people who reremembered where my grand parents and great grandparent lived.
      Don provided his insite into life in Hostiv in his earlier posting.
      The locals in Hostiv and rural Ukraine in general work very hard. There are many vehicles on main roads. However, with the collapse of collective farming post the Soviet times(the old farms now lying unused and derilect) most locals now plough their fields using a horse, and the horse and cart is in wide spread use for transport. Whilst driving through the rural areas, the fields are dotted with locals tending to their fields manually.

      Cheers,

      Steve
    • Don Moskaluk
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2010

        The photographs were amazing and sure enough you almost got all the sites.  I'm glad that you confirmed the Ivan Franko's monument.  My Family lives in that part of the village.

        Oh you missed the 4 bars in town.  They look like houses but they are stores and the economy is still going strong.

        Hopefully we can get a "google" street view image town.  It would be fun to map out all those photographs!

        Again Steve thanks for the photos

        Don

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional