RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Scots in the Area - Hostow - Zukow - Obertyn

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2009

      Hi Irene,

      Scottish connection hey – do you know which part of Scotland and Sweden they came from.  It still amazes me that there was a village between Hostow and Tarnowica Polna called Konstantinowka which had 300 people of German descent there.   I remember reading about how the Scandinavian’s travelled to Kiev to form Kiev Rus a long time ago -

      “The son of a washerwoman, Vladimir I was a Norse warrior who took Kiev by treachery and fratricide in the year 980. The kingdom was then known as Kievan Rus, the Rus appellation courtesy of a Scandinavian tribe that conquered the area and established Kiev as the first capital of the Slavs”.

      http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/kiev-a-city-in-transition/2/?comments_page=1

      Cheers,

      Steve