RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Hostow and Surrounds - visit 2010

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009

      Thanks Don,

      I’d be surprised if we didn’t share a few common surnames – the trick is to find the links.  I’ve looked at my surname, and unless you go back to 1750-1800 or so you have no hope of finding out how they all fit together.

      The link you sent;

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythians

      does illustrate the uncertainty that surrounds peoples origins not only in Eastern Europe but many other places. I had no idea of the Scots possible connection.  One day I might even do some DNA research to explore this further! Perhaps we all could – wouldn’t that be interesting -  25% of this, 15% of that 60% is that one!

      Cheers,

      Steve

      From: Steven <grecko1@ozemail. com.au>
      To: Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com

      Hi Don,

      Thanks for response, and the advice.  I think I will arrange some assistance for when I arrive.  I must admit, I’m quite excited about visiting Hostiv.  To many people it may be just a small village or town, however, to me it’s the village where my father was born and where his mother and father were born and so on. The connection going back  500 or even 1000 years. Capt James Cook only “discovered” Australia in 1770.  Of course the Australian Aborigines have been here for 40,000+ years.   I know this sounds like a bit of a cliché / strange but I feel connected to this place even through I’ve never been there. My expectations are quite simple - it will be fantastic to just walk along the creek, forest and paths and share some stories. Hopefully someone will be able to understand me when I arrive, and if I’m lucky find some relatives – perhaps an Andrejczuk, Fediuk, Ostryzniuk or Holij.  The Cyrillic script for me is tricky, but I’ll try and develop some basic skills so I can understand “Do not Enter”, “Trespassers Prosecuted”, “no right turn” , “Ladies” and “Gents”, and avoid the associated issues.

      Thanks again

      Cheers

      Steve Grzegorczyn

      From: Grecko <grecko1@ozemail. com.au>
      To: Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com

      Hi all,
      I'm Planning to visit Hostiv(Hostow) and some achives next year. Even a walk in the mountains. - if anyone has any advice it would be great to hear from you.

      Thanks

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: