RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Hostow and Surrounds - visit 2010

  • rod lisenchuk
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2009
      You're a lucky person.....I hope you have a terrific experience....please let us know how it goes....I wish I was in your shoes.
      Rod

      To: Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com
      From: grecko1@...
      Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:44:33 +1100
      Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Hostow and Surrounds - visit 2010

      Hi Don,

      Thanks for response, and the advice.  I think I will arrange some assistance for when I arrive.  I must admit, I’m quite excited about visiting Hostiv.  To many people it may be just a small village or town, however, to me it’s the village where my father was born and where his mother and father were born and so on. The connection going back  500 or even 1000 years. Capt James Cook only “discovered” Australia in 1770.  Of course the Australian Aborigines have been here for 40,000+ years.   I know this sounds like a bit of a cliché / strange but I feel connected to this place even through I’ve never been there. My expectations are quite simple - it will be fantastic to just walk along the creek, forest and paths and share some stories. Hopefully someone will be able to understand me when I arrive, and if I’m lucky find some relatives – perhaps an Andrejczuk, Fediuk, Ostryzniuk or Holij.  The Cyrillic script for me is tricky, but I’ll try and develop some basic skills so I can understand “Do not Enter”, “Trespassers Prosecuted”, “no right turn” , “Ladies” and “Gents”, and avoid the associated issues.

      Thanks again

      Cheers

      Steve Grzegorczyn

      From: Grecko <grecko1@ozemail. com.au>
      To: Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com

      Hi all,
      I'm Planning to visit Hostiv(Hostow) and some achives next year. Even a walk in the mountains. - if anyone has any advice it would be great to hear from you.

      Thanks

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Hostow_ Galicia_Village/ join
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:Hostow_Galicia_ Village-digest@ yahoogroups. com
          mailto:Hostow_Galicia_ Village-fullfeat ured@yahoogroups .com

          Hostow_Galicia_ Village-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

          http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.com

      New! Open Hotmail faster on the new MSN homepage!
    • Steven
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2009

        Thanks Rod,

        I’ll do that, and add photos of village and surrounding area.

        Cheers

        Steve

        To: Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2009
          It's kind of funny that you mention these names.  I have a lot of cousins in Hostiv you have married and they names sound familiar.  Oh regarding history.  Don't be shy to enter a church.  If you can go see some churches that are over 1000 years old and look at the iconography.  We are rooted from a deep history.

          Oh if you wanted to go back say a number of thousand of years.  Check out the Scythians http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythians Ok Did you know that the Scots and Ukrainian had the same ancestry?  Gosh darn.  Never hear a Scot say that.

          Good luck we your trip and oh the Gents room is away from the Ladies room i.e. any bush you can find.

          Don

          I'm Planning to visit Hostiv(Hostow) and some achives next year. Even a walk in the mountains. - if anyone has any advice it would be great to hear from you.

          Thanks

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Hostow_ Galicia_Village/ join
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:Hostow_Galicia_ Village-digest@ yahoogroups. com
              mailto:Hostow_Galicia_ Village-fullfeat ured@yahoogroups .com

              Hostow_Galicia_ Village-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Steven
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009

            Thanks Don,

            I’d be surprised if we didn’t share a few common surnames – the trick is to find the links.  I’ve looked at my surname, and unless you go back to 1750-1800 or so you have no hope of finding out how they all fit together.

            The link you sent;

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythians

            does illustrate the uncertainty that surrounds peoples origins not only in Eastern Europe but many other places. I had no idea of the Scots possible connection.  One day I might even do some DNA research to explore this further! Perhaps we all could – wouldn’t that be interesting -  25% of this, 15% of that 60% is that one!

            Cheers,

            Steve