Re: Moskaluk in Hostiv

  • Steven Grzegor...n
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi Don,

      Thanks for sharing the pictures – looks like the Greek Catholic (or
      is it Ukrainian Orthodox?) church has just had a face lift with a new
      coat of paint and some new roofing. The storks are quite common I
      think in Poland/Ukraine. We don't see any of these types of birds
      where I live in Australia ( we have Magpies, Crows, Rosella's, King
      Parrots, blue wrens, wattle birds).

      Suspect we need to get a comprehensive list of addresses for those
      researching in the Hostow( Hositv ) area and place these addresses
      on the site in the files section. I'll try and start compiling the
      info I have and send an email once I have added it to the web site.
      Reading information on other sites suggests the LDS are digitizing
      many records and are not far off completing some that may be of use
      to us. Suspect this will be open to public – lets wait and see what
      happens in the next 18 months/couple of years – we can only hope that
      some of the Greek Catholic records for Hostow ( Hostiv ) area become
      available.

      Would you mind if I added the photos you sent onto the photo's
      section of the site?

      I was looking through a list of immigrants that travelled to the to
      USA form around 1899 to 1914 form Ellis Island. You may know about
      this site already. To get to the site you;

      1. go to http://www.stevemorse.org/

      2. Select Ellis Island Gold Form (1892-1924): Enhanced Form for
      Searching for Ellis Island Passengers in One Step.

      3. Where it says Town name, type in "Hostow" and select SEARCH

      4. Scroll down list and you will find "Mihot Moksilowicz" arriving
      in the USA n 1909.

      Note: you will also get names for other villages which are spelt
      similarly to Hostow, but most (I suspect around 35 are from
      definitely from Hostow/Hostiv). If you sign up you are able to find
      further info, etc)

      If you don't want to sign up go to;

      http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/

      and key in the spelling of Moksilowicz that you found on Ellis Island
      Gold in box stating "Last or Family Name",

      You will now have access to details such as;

      Port Details of arrival, Date of Arrival, Ethnicity Pol or Ruth, Age
      and the ship travelling on.

      Interestingly, the site has him listed as Polish?

      It appears that if you get the exact spelling right from the Ellis
      Island you can link up with info in Family Search. For Grzegorczyn
      the database also shows Gregorczyn, Grygorezyn.

      ELLIS ISLAND HOSTOW DIRECT

      You can go direct to this Hostow page by going to

      http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
      uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
      old.html&mode=running&time=1233480697078&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
      nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
      town=Hostow&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAGE=&
      offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&F
      LD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=
      annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

      or direct to Tarnowica Polna ( other towns also shown – suggest you
      use Town Name Tarnowica" – at least 16 of the 36 names appear to be
      from Tarnowica Polna. Despite there being no mention of the word
      Polna).

      http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
      uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
      old.html&mode=running&time=1233481841703&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
      nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
      town=Tarnowica&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAG
      E=&offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=ag
      e&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&F
      LD=annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

      Cheers,

      Steve

      PS – I have added to Ellis Island Gold forms on website

      --- In Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com, Don Moskaluk
      <don.moskaluk@...> wrote:

      > Steve
      >
      > Oh I forgot attached are a pictures of storkes in Hostiv and the
      church from the view of the street.

      > Don Moskaluk
      >

      > ________________________________

      picture in National costume looks fantastic – with the vibrant
      colours and wind mills in the background.  6 buses arriving in Hostiv
      every day suggests a lot of people travel by bus to work.  I recall
      reading some time back an article on a pre-school having been
      constructed(US AID)  in town to provide care for the young when they
      travelled to work.

      > http://www.usaid.gov/locations/europe_eurasia/press/success/2006-09-
      21.html

      > You should have a read of this as it states;
      > "Until recently, single mother Oksana Moskalyuk had to choose
      between finding a job outside of her village of Gostiv or staying
      home to care for her four-year-old, Alina"
      > It must have been great to catch up with so many relatives -  I `m
      sure not only wanted to share some time with you, but also a few
      drinks!
      > I feel that the bust confirms Ivan Franko had a special connection
      with Hostiv  -  some day we will find out the official reason for
      locating a bust where it is.

      > I wouldn't give up yet on the finding information relating to
      births, deaths and Marriages ( I must admit I'm disappointed with
      your comments as I was hoping to write to the church as some stage) .
      My understanding is that for the Roman Catholic church there were 2
      religious copies kept – one by the church and other by the
      bishop.  Also,  if you were searching for information that was less
      than 100 years only, you would be able to access this at the
      government office in Tlumach (spravy in the RAHS office in Tlumach).
      Apparently you need to strong proof that you are related to the
      person you are seeking information on, and your request needs to be
      Ukrainian.  Once the information is older than 100 years it then is
      transferred elsewhere (to Ivan Frankivsk I think?). Then you have the
      Lviv achives.

      > The following site;
      >
      > http://www.torugg.org/Newsletter/current_issue.html#latin
      >
      > says
      > "In 1784 Emperor Joseph II decreed that each pastor was to keep
      three separate registers; one for births, one for marriages and one
      for deaths. These registers were to be written in Latin and the
      events for each village were to be recorded separately by village.
      The priests were to function as civil registrars of vital statistics
      for all Catholic and non-Catholic Christian denominations, as well as
      for Jews. The registers kept by the Catholic priests were to be
      considered official state documents"

      Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Don Moskaluk
      > Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:14 AM
      > To: Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Moskaluk in Hostiv
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > I one of the few lucky ones that had an outstanding trip in
      Ukraine .  I only a about 6 hours in Hostiv.  I went to gravesite and
      was concern that people were not taking care of the graveyard.  I did
      see many of my relatives and generations of Moskaluk.  It seems that
      I still have a large family in Hostiv.

      > It was unfortunate that the July 2008 floods in that region did
      kill a small child that came close to overflowing river. The cello
      people had a good range of old and young.  I noticed that development
      was taken place as people are building new houses.  There were many
      in various state of construction.  I passed by the Ukraine Catholic
      Church but hadn't had time to go inside.  I did visit with about 10
      different relatives and to see them and get to know them in a short
      period of time was near to impossible.

      > My eldest son was touring with Yavir dance troop.  They had a free
      concert in Ternopil and busload of Moskaluk came to greet and see
      him.  Even when we walk on street people would say "Slava" to each
      other (this was short form for Slava icuce hrusty) very religious.
      There was no russian, polish, idish or german spoken everything was
      Ukrainian.  There was a large bust of Ivan Franko near the community
      centre.  As I asked my cousins about this they didn't know who the
      person was.  My cousin said that Ivan Franko would come to see my
      grandfather, as he was the local blacksmith and the town mayor in
      early 1900's.  Most people there are very friendly and look to be
      well off.  There is a bus service that runs six times a day from Ivan
      Frankisk to Hostiv.  I was really amazed at this infrastructure.
      Most of the houses have barns and summer kitchens.  Each house is
      fenced in and some have amazing metal work for the fencing.  I
      noticed that the
      > primary area was agriculture however most people work else wear
      and come to live.

      > It was unique that when i was walking on the road that cattle would
      be leave every one's barn at the same time and you would have about
      100 head going to fields to feed.  I was amazed that many people came
      to Hostiv to live.  You have a small plot of land near home in which
      you grow your own food.  I didn't see stores however my cousin said
      there were 4 bars in the village those looks like homes.  When I went
      into the bar it was like a corner store that had everything.

      > Cell phones.  Wow everyone one had a cell phone.  Instead of
      calling the children to bring in the cows they would call them on the
      cell phones.  KyivStar has a transmission tower in Hostiv.  Who needs
      landlines???

      > A couple of notables, first I'm sorry that this email is
      fragmented, there was so much to see and the memories were great.  I
      did notice that my cousin daughter is in charge of post office in
      Hostiv.  I will get her number and post it..  I think it is important
      that we can have better ties to Hostiv than a google satellite map
      and bunch of names.  Oh on the sad note when I ask to see the church
      books to who was born, married, died this book was destroyed by
      Communist.  They though it not to be important.  I would be very
      interested if someone has this information.

      > Thanks
      >
      > Don Moskaluk
      > oh attach is a picture of my son and his dancing partner outside of
      Kyiv..  Thought it was a little over the top

      > ________________________________

      html

      > > is in Spanish, it clearly shows the following  people being in
      > Argentina in 1920
      > >
      > > Allí aparecen los señores Adam Whon, Juan Raczkowski, Antonio
      > Fassa, Antonio Antoniow, Juan Kruchowski, Juan Zach, Miguel
      > Gregorczyn, Juan Huk, Pedro Soja, Antonio Terlecki, Miguel
      Antoniow,
      > Martín Wdowiak, Pablo Hajdasz, Floriano Idzi, Pedro Maruniak,
      > Wojciech Wdowiak
      > >

      > > The names of Hajdarz, Wdowiak, Huk and Gregorczyn  in my opinion
      > are all likely to have immigrated from Hostow / Tarnowica Polna and
      > are somehow related to many of us in the group.   Addresses/phone
      > numbers appear to be accessible over the internet(white pages) when
      > looked some time back for those in Buenos Aires .. I actually found
      3
      > Gregorczyn addresses and phone numbers when I looked.
      > >
      > > Earlier this year I was planning my own trip to Hostow. It was to
      > follow a trip to England with an elderly relative. However, the
      > England trip fell through due to health issues.  It may be back on
      > the agenda some time next year or the year after.
      > >
      > > It would be great if during you Hostow/ Hostiv  visit you would
      be
      > kind enough to advertise the web site in the Hostow Post office and
      > at the Hostow museum which I understand has opened.  I hope your
      > Ukrainian and Cyrillic script is doing well??
      > >

      > > Good Luck
      > >
      > > Kind Regards,
      > >
      > > Steve Grzegorczyn

      Polish.