RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Moskaluk in Hostiv

  • grecko1
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 21, 2008

      Hi Don,

      Thanks for sharing your Hostiv and Ukraine experience.   The picture in National costume looks fantastic – with the vibrant colours and wind mills in the background.  6 buses arriving in Hostiv every day suggests a lot of people travel by bus to work.  I recall reading some time back an article on a pre-school having been constructed(US AID)  in town to provide care for the young when they travelled to work.

      http://www.usaid.gov/locations/europe_eurasia/press/success/2006-09-21.html

      You should have a read of this as it states;

      Until recently, single mother Oksana Moskalyuk had to choose between finding a job outside of her village of Gostiv or staying home to care for her four-year-old, Alina”

      It must have been great to catch up with so many relatives -  I ‘m sure not only wanted to share some time with you, but also a few drinks!

      I feel that the bust confirms Ivan Franko had a special connection with Hostiv  -  some day we will find out the official reason for locating a bust where it is.

      I wouldn’t give up yet on the finding information relating to births, deaths and Marriages ( I must admit I’m disappointed with your comments as I was hoping to write to the church as some stage) . My understanding is that for the Roman Catholic church there were 2 religious copies kept – one by the church and other by the bishop.  Also,  if you were searching for information that was less than 100 years only, you would be able to access this at the government office in Tlumach (spravy in the RAHS office in Tlumach). Apparently you need to strong proof that you are related to the person you are seeking information on, and your request needs to be Ukrainian.  Once the information is older than 100 years it then is transferred elsewhere (to Ivan Frankivsk I think?). Then you have the Lviv achives.

      The following site;

      http://www.torugg.org/Newsletter/current_issue.html#latin

      says

      “In 1784 Emperor Joseph II decreed that each pastor was to keep three separate registers; one for births, one for marriages and one for deaths. These registers were to be written in Latin and the events for each village were to be recorded separately by village. The priests were to function as civil registrars of vital statistics for all Catholic and non-Catholic Christian denominations, as well as for Jews. The registers kept by the Catholic priests were to be considered official state documents”

      Cheers,

      Steve

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 23, 2008
        Hi Steve

        Yes I am aware of the US Aid.  I went to my cousin Oksana and ask who this person was.  She said it was another distant relative who has small children.

        It is good news that maybe there are records but I won't know how to contact the bishop in the area.

        Well if you find any information please contact me.

        Thanks

        Don Moskaluk

        target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 28, 2008

          Oh I forgot attached are a pictures of storkes in Hostiv and the church from the view of the street.
          Don Moskaluk

          <don.moskaluk@ ...> wrote:

          > Steve
          > Also I am pretty well fluent in Ukrainian and even though I born in
          Canada my wife and kids also consider themselves to be from
          Ukrainian origin.  My mother was born in Ternopil however under
          Polish rule and my inlaws were born in Lemkivshna which was southern
          Poland in Carthpathian Mountains .  They all consider themselves
          Ukrainian.  Kinda funny dialetics but it looks like Hostiv is a mini
          Canada with all different nationalities.. .
          > I hope this helps.
          > Don

        • Steven Grzegor...n
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
            Hi Don,

            Thanks for sharing the pictures – looks like the Greek Catholic (or
            is it Ukrainian Orthodox?) church has just had a face lift with a new
            coat of paint and some new roofing. The storks are quite common I
            think in Poland/Ukraine. We don't see any of these types of birds
            where I live in Australia ( we have Magpies, Crows, Rosella's, King
            Parrots, blue wrens, wattle birds).

            Suspect we need to get a comprehensive list of addresses for those
            researching in the Hostow( Hositv ) area and place these addresses
            on the site in the files section. I'll try and start compiling the
            info I have and send an email once I have added it to the web site.
            Reading information on other sites suggests the LDS are digitizing
            many records and are not far off completing some that may be of use
            to us. Suspect this will be open to public – lets wait and see what
            happens in the next 18 months/couple of years – we can only hope that
            some of the Greek Catholic records for Hostow ( Hostiv ) area become
            available.

            Would you mind if I added the photos you sent onto the photo's
            section of the site?

            I was looking through a list of immigrants that travelled to the to
            USA form around 1899 to 1914 form Ellis Island. You may know about
            this site already. To get to the site you;

            1. go to http://www.stevemorse.org/

            2. Select Ellis Island Gold Form (1892-1924): Enhanced Form for
            Searching for Ellis Island Passengers in One Step.

            3. Where it says Town name, type in "Hostow" and select SEARCH

            4. Scroll down list and you will find "Mihot Moksilowicz" arriving
            in the USA n 1909.

            Note: you will also get names for other villages which are spelt
            similarly to Hostow, but most (I suspect around 35 are from
            definitely from Hostow/Hostiv). If you sign up you are able to find
            further info, etc)

            If you don't want to sign up go to;

            http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/

            and key in the spelling of Moksilowicz that you found on Ellis Island
            Gold in box stating "Last or Family Name",

            You will now have access to details such as;

            Port Details of arrival, Date of Arrival, Ethnicity Pol or Ruth, Age
            and the ship travelling on.

            Interestingly, the site has him listed as Polish?

            It appears that if you get the exact spelling right from the Ellis
            Island you can link up with info in Family Search. For Grzegorczyn
            the database also shows Gregorczyn, Grygorezyn.

            ELLIS ISLAND HOSTOW DIRECT

            You can go direct to this Hostow page by going to

            http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
            uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
            old.html&mode=running&time=1233480697078&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
            nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
            town=Hostow&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAGE=&
            offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&F
            LD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=
            annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

            or direct to Tarnowica Polna ( other towns also shown – suggest you
            use Town Name Tarnowica" – at least 16 of the 36 names appear to be
            from Tarnowica Polna. Despite there being no mention of the word
            Polna).

            http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
            uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
            old.html&mode=running&time=1233481841703&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
            nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
            town=Tarnowica&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAG
            E=&offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=ag
            e&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&F
            LD=annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

            Cheers,

            Steve

            PS – I have added to Ellis Island Gold forms on website