Re: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Moskaluk in Hostiv

  • Don Moskaluk
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 20, 2008

      I one of the few lucky ones that had an outstanding trip in Ukraine.  I only a about 6 hours in Hostiv.  I went to gravesite and was concern that people were not taking care of the graveyard.  I did see many of my relatives and generations of Moskaluk.  It seems that I still have a large family in Hostiv.

      It was unfortunate that the July 2008 floods in that region did kill a small child that came close to overflowing river. The cello people had a good range of old and young.  I noticed that development was taken place as people are building new houses.  There were many in various state of construction.  I passed by the Ukraine Catholic Church but hadn't had time to go inside.  I did visit with about 10 different relatives and to see them and get to know them in a short period of time was near to impossible.

      My eldest son was touring with Yavir dance troop.  They had a free concert in Ternopil and busload of Moskaluk came to greet and see him.  Even when we walk on street people would say "Slava" to each other (this was short form for Slava icuce hrusty) very religious.  There was no russian, polish, idish or german spoken everything was Ukrainian.  There was a large bust of Ivan Franko near the community centre.  As I asked my cousins about this they didn't know who the person was.  My cousin said that Ivan Franko would come to see my grandfather, as he was the local blacksmith and the town mayor in early 1900's.  Most people there are very friendly and look to be well off.  There is a bus service that runs six times a day from Ivan Frankisk to Hostiv.  I was really amazed at this infrastructure.  Most of the houses have barns and summer kitchens.  Each house is fenced in and some have amazing metal work for the fencing.  I noticed that the primary area was agriculture however most people work else wear and come to live.

      It was unique that when i was walking on the road that cattle would be leave every one's barn at the same time and you would have about 100 head going to fields to feed.  I was amazed that many people came to Hostiv to live.  You have a small plot of land near home in which you grow your own food.  I didn't see stores however my cousin said there were 4 bars in the village those looks like homes.  When I went into the bar it was like a corner store that had everything.

      Cell phones.  Wow everyone one had a cell phone.  Instead of calling the children to bring in the cows they would call them on the cell phones.  KyivStar has a transmission tower in Hostiv.  Who needs landlines???

      A couple of notables, first I'm sorry that this email is fragmented, there was so much to see and the memories were great.  I did notice that my cousin daughter is in charge of post office in Hostiv.  I will get her number and post it.  I think it is important that we can have better ties to Hostiv than a google satellite map and bunch of names.  Oh on the sad note when I ask to see the church books to who was born, married, died this book was destroyed by Communist.  They though it not to be important.  I would be very interested if someone has this information.

      Thanks

      Don Moskaluk

      oh attach is a picture of my son and his dancing partner outside of Kyiv.  Thought it was a little over the top

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 21, 2008

        Hi Don,

        Thanks for sharing your Hostiv and Ukraine experience.   The picture in National costume looks fantastic – with the vibrant colours and wind mills in the background.  6 buses arriving in Hostiv every day suggests a lot of people travel by bus to work.  I recall reading some time back an article on a pre-school having been constructed(US AID)  in town to provide care for the young when they travelled to work.

        http://www.usaid.gov/locations/europe_eurasia/press/success/2006-09-21.html

        You should have a read of this as it states;

        Until recently, single mother Oksana Moskalyuk had to choose between finding a job outside of her village of Gostiv or staying home to care for her four-year-old, Alina”

        It must have been great to catch up with so many relatives -  I ‘m sure not only wanted to share some time with you, but also a few drinks!

        I feel that the bust confirms Ivan Franko had a special connection with Hostiv  -  some day we will find out the official reason for locating a bust where it is.

        I wouldn’t give up yet on the finding information relating to births, deaths and Marriages ( I must admit I’m disappointed with your comments as I was hoping to write to the church as some stage) . My understanding is that for the Roman Catholic church there were 2 religious copies kept – one by the church and other by the bishop.  Also,  if you were searching for information that was less than 100 years only, you would be able to access this at the government office in Tlumach (spravy in the RAHS office in Tlumach). Apparently you need to strong proof that you are related to the person you are seeking information on, and your request needs to be Ukrainian.  Once the information is older than 100 years it then is transferred elsewhere (to Ivan Frankivsk I think?). Then you have the Lviv achives.

        The following site;

        http://www.torugg.org/Newsletter/current_issue.html#latin

        says

        “In 1784 Emperor Joseph II decreed that each pastor was to keep three separate registers; one for births, one for marriages and one for deaths. These registers were to be written in Latin and the events for each village were to be recorded separately by village. The priests were to function as civil registrars of vital statistics for all Catholic and non-Catholic Christian denominations, as well as for Jews. The registers kept by the Catholic priests were to be considered official state documents”

        Cheers,

        Steve

        ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com
        > Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:45:53 AM
        > Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
        name is not part of the town of Hostiw

        > Hi Don,
        > Thought I would note that apart from my surname
        Grzegorczyn.  Smiegel(or Szmigiel) is also in my family tree, as are
        the following;
        > Szeremeta, Marsylewicz, Markiewicz, Andrzejczuk, Ostryzniuk,
        Krzyszczuk, Wdowiak, Hajdasz, Fediuk, Holij, Chryn, Gacek.  I'm sure
        many with a Polish spelt name living in Poland have a Ukranian
        spelling for those that may have remained in Hostow.  I came across a
        version of what I believe may be my  surname for people that may
        still still in Ottynia (not far from Hostow/Hostiv) and it was
        spelt "Hrehorashen" . In Ukrainian the G changes to a H. Another
        Ottynian name is Markovych which may be Markiewicz in Poland .   I
        must admit it still amazes me  that  Jan, Ivan and John is one and
        the same – my fathers name was Jan.

        > Some Moskolnik's also live in
        w:st="on">Argentina – site link is in the links

        ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com [mailto:
        Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com ] On Behalf Of Don Moskaluk
        > Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:14 PM
        > To:
        ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com
        > Subject: Re: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
        name is not part of the town of Hostiw

        > Wow that is amazing.  My Grand Father was named Ivan.  It kinda
        funny that some of the names I do recognize.  My late father and his
        neighbour Smiegel use to get together from time to time.

        > I heading towards Hostiw this summer and hopefully will get some
        videos and find out more about the town.  I also know that my cousins
        are running the post office and store.  Hopefully they can send me
        some information.

        > Yeah, the J in the could be the polishsized version of Ivan and
        Moskolnik sure can be spealt wrong.  Even today people spell the name
        wrong why wouldn't that be different then?  Especially if you
        directly translated it from Ukrainian or slavic spelling to Polish.
        Hmmm.

        > Thanks for your Help
        >
        > Dr. Don Moskaluk

        target="_blank">ups.com
        > Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:31:39 AM
        > Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
        name is not part of the town of Hostiw
        > Hi Don,
        > Welcome to the group. Thanks for the comments regarding your
        grandfather - it would be great to hear more one day.

        > You may be interested in looking at the following link to the 1929
        Polish Business Directory which finds Hostow; ( link is  also
        available in the links from the website)

        > http://data. jewishgen..
        org/jri-pl/ 1929/loadtop. htm?1482

        > Sure enough it has a J, Moskolnik  listed as the Kawale.  They
        sometimes got the spelling wrong?   Other surnames on the list
        include some the other new members may be interested in. These
        include;

        > Krzyszczuk,
        > Szeremeta
        > Stelmoszczuk
        > Kruk   and
        > Grzegorczyn
        >

        > Regards
        >
        > Steven Grzegorczyn
        >
        > PS to all
        >
        > I have uploaded my grandparents wedding photo onto the site.  It
        would be great if anyone who had photo's of Hostow (Historical or
        New) had the time to upload them in the "photos" option of the
        website. Also,  if anyone has encountered and  specific links for
        Hostow/Tarnowica Polna area  not already listed on website, you are
        able to upload the link yourself or alternatively please send me a
        link and I will add it.

        > ____________ _________ _________ __

        w:st="on"> Hostiw .

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Hostow_ Galicia_Village/ join

            Hostow_Galicia_ Village-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 23, 2008
          Hi Steve

          Yes I am aware of the US Aid.  I went to my cousin Oksana and ask who this person was.  She said it was another distant relative who has small children.

          It is good news that maybe there are records but I won't know how to contact the bishop in the area.

          Well if you find any information please contact me.

          Thanks

          Don Moskaluk

          target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 28, 2008

            Oh I forgot attached are a pictures of storkes in Hostiv and the church from the view of the street.
            Don Moskaluk

            <don.moskaluk@ ...> wrote:

            > Steve
            > Also I am pretty well fluent in Ukrainian and even though I born in
            Canada my wife and kids also consider themselves to be from
            Ukrainian origin.  My mother was born in Ternopil however under
            Polish rule and my inlaws were born in Lemkivshna which was southern
            Poland in Carthpathian Mountains .  They all consider themselves
            Ukrainian.  Kinda funny dialetics but it looks like Hostiv is a mini
            Canada with all different nationalities.. .
            > I hope this helps.
            > Don

          • Steven Grzegor...n
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
              Hi Don,

              Thanks for sharing the pictures – looks like the Greek Catholic (or
              is it Ukrainian Orthodox?) church has just had a face lift with a new
              coat of paint and some new roofing. The storks are quite common I
              think in Poland/Ukraine. We don't see any of these types of birds
              where I live in Australia ( we have Magpies, Crows, Rosella's, King
              Parrots, blue wrens, wattle birds).

              Suspect we need to get a comprehensive list of addresses for those
              researching in the Hostow( Hositv ) area and place these addresses
              on the site in the files section. I'll try and start compiling the
              info I have and send an email once I have added it to the web site.
              Reading information on other sites suggests the LDS are digitizing
              many records and are not far off completing some that may be of use
              to us. Suspect this will be open to public – lets wait and see what
              happens in the next 18 months/couple of years – we can only hope that
              some of the Greek Catholic records for Hostow ( Hostiv ) area become
              available.

              Would you mind if I added the photos you sent onto the photo's
              section of the site?

              I was looking through a list of immigrants that travelled to the to
              USA form around 1899 to 1914 form Ellis Island. You may know about
              this site already. To get to the site you;

              1. go to http://www.stevemorse.org/

              2. Select Ellis Island Gold Form (1892-1924): Enhanced Form for
              Searching for Ellis Island Passengers in One Step.

              3. Where it says Town name, type in "Hostow" and select SEARCH

              4. Scroll down list and you will find "Mihot Moksilowicz" arriving
              in the USA n 1909.

              Note: you will also get names for other villages which are spelt
              similarly to Hostow, but most (I suspect around 35 are from
              definitely from Hostow/Hostiv). If you sign up you are able to find
              further info, etc)

              If you don't want to sign up go to;

              http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/

              and key in the spelling of Moksilowicz that you found on Ellis Island
              Gold in box stating "Last or Family Name",

              You will now have access to details such as;

              Port Details of arrival, Date of Arrival, Ethnicity Pol or Ruth, Age
              and the ship travelling on.

              Interestingly, the site has him listed as Polish?

              It appears that if you get the exact spelling right from the Ellis
              Island you can link up with info in Family Search. For Grzegorczyn
              the database also shows Gregorczyn, Grygorezyn.

              ELLIS ISLAND HOSTOW DIRECT

              You can go direct to this Hostow page by going to

              http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
              uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
              old.html&mode=running&time=1233480697078&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
              nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
              town=Hostow&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAGE=&
              offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&F
              LD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=
              annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

              or direct to Tarnowica Polna ( other towns also shown – suggest you
              use Town Name Tarnowica" – at least 16 of the 36 names appear to be
              from Tarnowica Polna. Despite there being no mention of the word
              Polna).

              http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
              uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
              old.html&mode=running&time=1233481841703&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
              nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
              town=Tarnowica&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAG
              E=&offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=ag
              e&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&F
              LD=annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

              Cheers,

              Steve

              PS – I have added to Ellis Island Gold forms on website