Tarnawica Polna roots

  • ctanchyk
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008
      I've always known that my grandfather came to Canada in 1911 from
      Tarnawica Polna but I never knew where this was....or its history. I
      am interested in the surname "Kolt". Family stories mention that some
      relatives were sent to Russian work camps... Thanks in advance for any
      research help!
    • grecko1
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008

        Hi

        Welcome to the group

        I’ve seen the Kolt surname on a few pages on the LDS microfilms. This surname is related to surnames such as Jasnikowska ( or Jasnikowski in it Masculine form) and  Fediuk, Kruk,  Szkwarek, Hajdarz and Krawczyk, Petryszyn, Burak, Jaciuk.   These LDS microfilms would be a great way to start learning more of your family.

        Do you have the birthdate and full name of your grandfather, great grandfather/grandmother

        Regards,

        Steve

        PS -  I’ve added Kolt to the home page of the website.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008
          Hi

          Thank you for the information in regards to the LDS microfilms. This will be my major research  project for the new year....

          Season's Greetings,
          C.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2008

            Hi C

            Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS  - Mormons) microfilms related to the area that I’m aware of are shown below. Please be aware that these files are not complete with many years missing in some sections.

            i.                     2039892  -  Ksiegi Metrykalne 1838-1946.  ¾ of the way through the film you will reach a section that covers teh Parish of Tarnowica Polna.  Here you will find some Births in Hostow and Tarnowica Polna.  Tarnowica Polna Deaths and some Marriage records (1905-1946).

            ii.                   2328803  ( this has some birth info that goes back to 1785)

            iii.                  2039933

            The Spis familij reference in (I think) microfilm 2039892 is probably the best pace to start.

            You can check the detailed as you know  from site;

            http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

            The following links will  assist in you interpreting information found on microfilms;

            http://www.jri-poland.org/galicia/GalicianVitalRecords_Titles_Nov2002.pdf

            http://www.polishroots.org/reference/translating.htm

            Kind Regards,

            Steve Grzegorczyn

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2008

              In regard to the steps required to undertake research the Toronto Ukrainian Genealogical Group have a very good structured process at;

              http://www.torugg.org/Researching%20Your%20Roots/researching_roots_steps.html#introduction

              Cheers,

              Steve