Re: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk name is not part of the town of Hostiw

  • Don Moskaluk
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2008

      Also I am pretty well fluent in Ukrainian and even though I born in Canada my wife and kids also consider themselves to be from  Ukrainian origin.  My mother was born in Ternopil however under Polish rule and my inlaws were born in Lemkivshna which was southern Poland in Carthpathian Mountains.  They all consider themselves Ukrainian.  Kinda funny dialetics but it looks like Hostiv is a mini Canada with all different nationalities.

      I hope this helps.

      Don

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 7, 2008
        Hi Don,
        It's been some time since I've heard from you - you were going to
        make your way to Hostiv - just wondering whether your trip eventuated
        as planned and what its was like??

        Cheers

        Steve Grzegorczyn

        --- In Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com, Don Moskaluk

        Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Don Moskaluk
        > Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:14 PM
        > To: Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
        name is not part of the town of Hostiw

        > Wow that is amazing.  My Grand Father was named Ivan.  It kinda
        funny that some of the names I do recognize.  My late father and his
        neighbour Smiegel use to get together from time to time.

        > I heading towards Hostiw this summer and hopefully will get some
        videos and find out more about the town.  I also know that my cousins
        are running the post office and store.  Hopefully they can send me
        some information.

        > Yeah, the J in the could be the polishsized version of Ivan and
        Moskolnik sure can be spealt wrong.  Even today people spell the name
        wrong why wouldn't that be different then?  Especially if you
        directly translated it from Ukrainian or slavic spelling to Polish.
        Hmmm.

        > Thanks for your Help
        >
        > Dr. Don Moskaluk

      • Don Moskaluk
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 20, 2008

          I one of the few lucky ones that had an outstanding trip in Ukraine.  I only a about 6 hours in Hostiv.  I went to gravesite and was concern that people were not taking care of the graveyard.  I did see many of my relatives and generations of Moskaluk.  It seems that I still have a large family in Hostiv.

          It was unfortunate that the July 2008 floods in that region did kill a small child that came close to overflowing river. The cello people had a good range of old and young.  I noticed that development was taken place as people are building new houses.  There were many in various state of construction.  I passed by the Ukraine Catholic Church but hadn't had time to go inside.  I did visit with about 10 different relatives and to see them and get to know them in a short period of time was near to impossible.

          My eldest son was touring with Yavir dance troop.  They had a free concert in Ternopil and busload of Moskaluk came to greet and see him.  Even when we walk on street people would say "Slava" to each other (this was short form for Slava icuce hrusty) very religious.  There was no russian, polish, idish or german spoken everything was Ukrainian.  There was a large bust of Ivan Franko near the community centre.  As I asked my cousins about this they didn't know who the person was.  My cousin said that Ivan Franko would come to see my grandfather, as he was the local blacksmith and the town mayor in early 1900's.  Most people there are very friendly and look to be well off.  There is a bus service that runs six times a day from Ivan Frankisk to Hostiv.  I was really amazed at this infrastructure.  Most of the houses have barns and summer kitchens.  Each house is fenced in and some have amazing metal work for the fencing.  I noticed that the primary area was agriculture however most people work else wear and come to live.

          It was unique that when i was walking on the road that cattle would be leave every one's barn at the same time and you would have about 100 head going to fields to feed.  I was amazed that many people came to Hostiv to live.  You have a small plot of land near home in which you grow your own food.  I didn't see stores however my cousin said there were 4 bars in the village those looks like homes.  When I went into the bar it was like a corner store that had everything.

          Cell phones.  Wow everyone one had a cell phone.  Instead of calling the children to bring in the cows they would call them on the cell phones.  KyivStar has a transmission tower in Hostiv.  Who needs landlines???

          A couple of notables, first I'm sorry that this email is fragmented, there was so much to see and the memories were great.  I did notice that my cousin daughter is in charge of post office in Hostiv.  I will get her number and post it.  I think it is important that we can have better ties to Hostiv than a google satellite map and bunch of names.  Oh on the sad note when I ask to see the church books to who was born, married, died this book was destroyed by Communist.  They though it not to be important.  I would be very interested if someone has this information.

          Thanks

          Don Moskaluk

          oh attach is a picture of my son and his dancing partner outside of Kyiv.  Thought it was a little over the top

          href="http://www.elaguilablanca.com.ar/elaguila/elaguila-proyec2.html" target="_blank">http://www.elaguilablanca.com.ar/elaguila/elaguila-proyec2..html

          ________________________________

          June 3, 2008 5:31:39 AM
          > Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
          name is not part of the town of Hostiw
          > Hi Don,
          > Welcome to the group. Thanks for the comments regarding your
          grandfather - it would be great to hear more one day.

          > You may be interested in looking at the following link to the 1929
          Polish Business Directory which finds Hostow; ( link is  also
          available in the links from the website)

          > http://data. jewishgen.. org/jri-pl/ 1929/loadtop. htm?1482
          >

          > Sure enough it has a J, Moskolnik  listed as the Kawale.  They
          sometimes got the spelling wrong?   Other surnames on the list
          include some the other new members may be interested in. These
          include;

          > Krzyszczuk,
          > Szeremeta

          Stelmoszczuk
          > Kruk   and
          > Grzegorczyn
          >

          > Regards
          >
          > Steven Grzegorczyn
          >
          > PS to all
          >
          > I have uploaded my grandparents wedding photo onto the site.  It
          would be great if anyone who had photo's of Hostow (Historical or
          New) had the time to upload them in the "photos" option of the
          website. Also,  if anyone has encountered and  specific links for
          Hostow/Tarnowica Polna area  not already listed on website, you are
          able to upload the link yourself or alternatively please send me a
          link and I will add it.

          > ________________________________

          6:05 AM
          > To: Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com
          > Subject: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk name
          is not part of the town of Hostiw

          > I've noticed that Moskaluk name is not part of the town of Hostiw .
          Can
          > you please add Moskaluk to the family names of Hostiw. It seems
          that
          > Moskaluk have been there for over a hundred years and Ivan Franko
          use
          > to come an visit the town to talk with my grand father (as he was
          local
          > black smith).
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Don Moskaluk

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • grecko1
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 21, 2008

            Hi Don,

            Thanks for sharing your Hostiv and Ukraine experience.   The picture in National costume looks fantastic – with the vibrant colours and wind mills in the background.  6 buses arriving in Hostiv every day suggests a lot of people travel by bus to work.  I recall reading some time back an article on a pre-school having been constructed(US AID)  in town to provide care for the young when they travelled to work.

            http://www.usaid.gov/locations/europe_eurasia/press/success/2006-09-21.html

            You should have a read of this as it states;

            Until recently, single mother Oksana Moskalyuk had to choose between finding a job outside of her village of Gostiv or staying home to care for her four-year-old, Alina”

            It must have been great to catch up with so many relatives -  I ‘m sure not only wanted to share some time with you, but also a few drinks!

            I feel that the bust confirms Ivan Franko had a special connection with Hostiv  -  some day we will find out the official reason for locating a bust where it is.

            I wouldn’t give up yet on the finding information relating to births, deaths and Marriages ( I must admit I’m disappointed with your comments as I was hoping to write to the church as some stage) . My understanding is that for the Roman Catholic church there were 2 religious copies kept – one by the church and other by the bishop.  Also,  if you were searching for information that was less than 100 years only, you would be able to access this at the government office in Tlumach (spravy in the RAHS office in Tlumach). Apparently you need to strong proof that you are related to the person you are seeking information on, and your request needs to be Ukrainian.  Once the information is older than 100 years it then is transferred elsewhere (to Ivan Frankivsk I think?). Then you have the Lviv achives.

            The following site;

            http://www.torugg.org/Newsletter/current_issue.html#latin

            says

            “In 1784 Emperor Joseph II decreed that each pastor was to keep three separate registers; one for births, one for marriages and one for deaths. These registers were to be written in Latin and the events for each village were to be recorded separately by village. The priests were to function as civil registrars of vital statistics for all Catholic and non-Catholic Christian denominations, as well as for Jews. The registers kept by the Catholic priests were to be considered official state documents”

            Cheers,

            Steve

            ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com
            > Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:45:53 AM
            > Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
            name is not part of the town of Hostiw

            > Hi Don,
            > Thought I would note that apart from my surname
            Grzegorczyn.  Smiegel(or Szmigiel) is also in my family tree, as are
            the following;
            > Szeremeta, Marsylewicz, Markiewicz, Andrzejczuk, Ostryzniuk,
            Krzyszczuk, Wdowiak, Hajdasz, Fediuk, Holij, Chryn, Gacek.  I'm sure
            many with a Polish spelt name living in Poland have a Ukranian
            spelling for those that may have remained in Hostow.  I came across a
            version of what I believe may be my  surname for people that may
            still still in Ottynia (not far from Hostow/Hostiv) and it was
            spelt "Hrehorashen" . In Ukrainian the G changes to a H. Another
            Ottynian name is Markovych which may be Markiewicz in Poland .   I
            must admit it still amazes me  that  Jan, Ivan and John is one and
            the same – my fathers name was Jan.

            > Some Moskolnik's also live in
            w:st="on">Argentina – site link is in the links

            ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com [mailto:
            Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com ] On Behalf Of Don Moskaluk
            > Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:14 PM
            > To:
            ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com
            > Subject: Re: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
            name is not part of the town of Hostiw

            > Wow that is amazing.  My Grand Father was named Ivan.  It kinda
            funny that some of the names I do recognize.  My late father and his
            neighbour Smiegel use to get together from time to time.

            > I heading towards Hostiw this summer and hopefully will get some
            videos and find out more about the town.  I also know that my cousins
            are running the post office and store.  Hopefully they can send me
            some information.

            > Yeah, the J in the could be the polishsized version of Ivan and
            Moskolnik sure can be spealt wrong.  Even today people spell the name
            wrong why wouldn't that be different then?  Especially if you
            directly translated it from Ukrainian or slavic spelling to Polish.
            Hmmm.

            > Thanks for your Help
            >
            > Dr. Don Moskaluk

            target="_blank">ups.com
            > Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:31:39 AM
            > Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
            name is not part of the town of Hostiw
            > Hi Don,
            > Welcome to the group. Thanks for the comments regarding your
            grandfather - it would be great to hear more one day.

            > You may be interested in looking at the following link to the 1929
            Polish Business Directory which finds Hostow; ( link is  also
            available in the links from the website)

            > http://data. jewishgen..
            org/jri-pl/ 1929/loadtop. htm?1482

            > Sure enough it has a J, Moskolnik  listed as the Kawale.  They
            sometimes got the spelling wrong?   Other surnames on the list
            include some the other new members may be interested in. These
            include;

            > Krzyszczuk,
            > Szeremeta
            > Stelmoszczuk
            > Kruk   and
            > Grzegorczyn
            >

            > Regards
            >
            > Steven Grzegorczyn
            >
            > PS to all
            >
            > I have uploaded my grandparents wedding photo onto the site.  It
            would be great if anyone who had photo's of Hostow (Historical or
            New) had the time to upload them in the "photos" option of the
            website. Also,  if anyone has encountered and  specific links for
            Hostow/Tarnowica Polna area  not already listed on website, you are
            able to upload the link yourself or alternatively please send me a
            link and I will add it.

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

            w:st="on"> Hostiw .

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Hostow_ Galicia_Village/ join

                Hostow_Galicia_ Village-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 23, 2008
              Hi Steve

              Yes I am aware of the US Aid.  I went to my cousin Oksana and ask who this person was.  She said it was another distant relative who has small children.

              It is good news that maybe there are records but I won't know how to contact the bishop in the area.

              Well if you find any information please contact me.

              Thanks

              Don Moskaluk

              target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 28, 2008

                Oh I forgot attached are a pictures of storkes in Hostiv and the church from the view of the street.
                Don Moskaluk

                <don.moskaluk@ ...> wrote:

                > Steve
                > Also I am pretty well fluent in Ukrainian and even though I born in
                Canada my wife and kids also consider themselves to be from
                Ukrainian origin.  My mother was born in Ternopil however under
                Polish rule and my inlaws were born in Lemkivshna which was southern
                Poland in Carthpathian Mountains .  They all consider themselves
                Ukrainian.  Kinda funny dialetics but it looks like Hostiv is a mini
                Canada with all different nationalities.. .
                > I hope this helps.
                > Don

              • Steven Grzegor...n
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2 2:11 AM
                  Hi Don,

                  Thanks for sharing the pictures – looks like the Greek Catholic (or
                  is it Ukrainian Orthodox?) church has just had a face lift with a new
                  coat of paint and some new roofing. The storks are quite common I
                  think in Poland/Ukraine. We don't see any of these types of birds
                  where I live in Australia ( we have Magpies, Crows, Rosella's, King
                  Parrots, blue wrens, wattle birds).

                  Suspect we need to get a comprehensive list of addresses for those
                  researching in the Hostow( Hositv ) area and place these addresses
                  on the site in the files section. I'll try and start compiling the
                  info I have and send an email once I have added it to the web site.
                  Reading information on other sites suggests the LDS are digitizing
                  many records and are not far off completing some that may be of use
                  to us. Suspect this will be open to public – lets wait and see what
                  happens in the next 18 months/couple of years – we can only hope that
                  some of the Greek Catholic records for Hostow ( Hostiv ) area become
                  available.

                  Would you mind if I added the photos you sent onto the photo's
                  section of the site?

                  I was looking through a list of immigrants that travelled to the to
                  USA form around 1899 to 1914 form Ellis Island. You may know about
                  this site already. To get to the site you;

                  1. go to http://www.stevemorse.org/

                  2. Select Ellis Island Gold Form (1892-1924): Enhanced Form for
                  Searching for Ellis Island Passengers in One Step.

                  3. Where it says Town name, type in "Hostow" and select SEARCH

                  4. Scroll down list and you will find "Mihot Moksilowicz" arriving
                  in the USA n 1909.

                  Note: you will also get names for other villages which are spelt
                  similarly to Hostow, but most (I suspect around 35 are from
                  definitely from Hostow/Hostiv). If you sign up you are able to find
                  further info, etc)

                  If you don't want to sign up go to;

                  http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/

                  and key in the spelling of Moksilowicz that you found on Ellis Island
                  Gold in box stating "Last or Family Name",

                  You will now have access to details such as;

                  Port Details of arrival, Date of Arrival, Ethnicity Pol or Ruth, Age
                  and the ship travelling on.

                  Interestingly, the site has him listed as Polish?

                  It appears that if you get the exact spelling right from the Ellis
                  Island you can link up with info in Family Search. For Grzegorczyn
                  the database also shows Gregorczyn, Grygorezyn.

                  ELLIS ISLAND HOSTOW DIRECT

                  You can go direct to this Hostow page by going to

                  http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
                  uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
                  old.html&mode=running&time=1233480697078&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
                  nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
                  town=Hostow&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAGE=&
                  offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&F
                  LD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=
                  annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

                  or direct to Tarnowica Polna ( other towns also shown – suggest you
                  use Town Name Tarnowica" – at least 16 of the 36 names appear to be
                  from Tarnowica Polna. Despite there being no mention of the word
                  Polna).

                  http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
                  uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
                  old.html&mode=running&time=1233481841703&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
                  nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
                  town=Tarnowica&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAG
                  E=&offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=ag
                  e&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&F
                  LD=annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

                  Cheers,

                  Steve

                  PS – I have added to Ellis Island Gold forms on website