Re: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk name is not part of the town of Hostiw

  • Don Moskaluk
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3 6:43 AM
      Steven

      Thanks for the link.  I've been searching out Moskaluk world wide now and have found a few relatives here in Canada.  It looks like my  Grandfather brother i.e. my great uncle immigrated to Canada from Hostiv in the early 1900's you can see some of the Moskaluk's with various english spelling at www.moskaluk.com/moskaluk.htm

      I hope this brings us all closer together.

      Don Moskaluk

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4 3:45 AM

        Hi Don,

        Thought I would note that apart from my surname Grzegorczyn.  Smiegel(or Szmigiel) is also in my family tree, as are the following;

        Szeremeta, Marsylewicz, Markiewicz, Andrzejczuk, Ostryzniuk, Krzyszczuk, Wdowiak, Hajdasz, Fediuk, Holij, Chryn, Gacek.  I’m sure many with a Polish spelt name living in Poland have a Ukranian spelling for those that may have remained in Hostow.  I came across a version of what I believe may be my  surname for people that may still still in Ottynia (not far from Hostow/Hostiv) and it was spelt “Hrehorashen”. In Ukrainian the G changes to a H. Another Ottynian name is Markovych which may be Markiewicz in Poland .   I must admit it still amazes me  that  Jan, Ivan and John is one and the same – my fathers name was Jan.

        Some Moskolnik’s also live in Argentina – site link is in the links on the web site. However, the direct page that may interest you is;

        http://surnames.rutrin.com.ar/m.htm

        it also lists a few versions of your surname.   Its worth noting that quite of few people from Hostow immigrated to Argentina .

        Whilst the following site;

        http://www.elaguilablanca.com.ar/elaguila/elaguila-proyec2.html

        is in Spanish, it clearly shows the following  people being in Argentina in 1920

        Allí aparecen los señores Adam Whon, Juan Raczkowski, Antonio Fassa, Antonio Antoniow, Juan Kruchowski, Juan Zach, Miguel Gregorczyn, Juan Huk, Pedro Soja, Antonio Terlecki, Miguel Antoniow, Martín Wdowiak, Pablo Hajdasz, Floriano Idzi, Pedro Maruniak, Wojciech Wdowiak

        The names of Hajdarz, Wdowiak, Huk and Gregorczyn  in my opinion are all likely to have immigrated from Hostow / Tarnowica Polna and are somehow related to many of us in the group.   Addresses/phone numbers appear to be accessible over the internet(white pages) when I looked some time back for those in Buenos Aires . I actually found 3 Gregorczyn addresses and phone numbers when I looked.

        Earlier this year I was planning my own trip to Hostow. It was to follow a trip to England with an elderly relative. However, the England trip fell through due to health issues.  It may be back on the agenda some time next year or the year after.

        It would be great if during you Hostow/ Hostiv  visit you would be kind enough to advertise the web site in the Hostow Post office and at the Hostow museum which I understand has opened.  I hope your Ukrainian and Cyrillic script is doing well??

        Good Luck

        Kind Regards,

        Steve Grzegorczyn

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5 7:44 AM
          Steve it kinda funny because my cousin Luba Moskaluk runs the post office.

          Yeah we will put hostive on the map and thanks for the links.  I too am travelling with my mother, wife and children and hopefully we can find a few more relatives.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5 7:49 AM

            Also I am pretty well fluent in Ukrainian and even though I born in Canada my wife and kids also consider themselves to be from  Ukrainian origin.  My mother was born in Ternopil however under Polish rule and my inlaws were born in Lemkivshna which was southern Poland in Carthpathian Mountains.  They all consider themselves Ukrainian.  Kinda funny dialetics but it looks like Hostiv is a mini Canada with all different nationalities.

            I hope this helps.

            Don

            I've noticed that Moskaluk name is not part of the town of Hostiw . Can
            you please add Moskaluk to the family names of Hostiw. It seems that
            Moskaluk have been there for over a hundred years and Ivan Franko use
            to come an visit the town to talk with my grand father (as he was local
            black smith).

            Thanks

            Don Moskaluk

            __._,_..___

          • Steven Grzegor...n
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2008
              Hi Don,
              It's been some time since I've heard from you - you were going to
              make your way to Hostiv - just wondering whether your trip eventuated
              as planned and what its was like??

              Cheers

              Steve Grzegorczyn

              --- In Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com, Don Moskaluk

              Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Don Moskaluk
              > Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:14 PM
              > To: Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
              name is not part of the town of Hostiw

              > Wow that is amazing.  My Grand Father was named Ivan.  It kinda
              funny that some of the names I do recognize.  My late father and his
              neighbour Smiegel use to get together from time to time.

              > I heading towards Hostiw this summer and hopefully will get some
              videos and find out more about the town.  I also know that my cousins
              are running the post office and store.  Hopefully they can send me
              some information.

              > Yeah, the J in the could be the polishsized version of Ivan and
              Moskolnik sure can be spealt wrong.  Even today people spell the name
              wrong why wouldn't that be different then?  Especially if you
              directly translated it from Ukrainian or slavic spelling to Polish.
              Hmmm.

              > Thanks for your Help
              >
              > Dr. Don Moskaluk

            • Don Moskaluk
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 20, 2008

                I one of the few lucky ones that had an outstanding trip in Ukraine.  I only a about 6 hours in Hostiv.  I went to gravesite and was concern that people were not taking care of the graveyard.  I did see many of my relatives and generations of Moskaluk.  It seems that I still have a large family in Hostiv.

                It was unfortunate that the July 2008 floods in that region did kill a small child that came close to overflowing river. The cello people had a good range of old and young.  I noticed that development was taken place as people are building new houses.  There were many in various state of construction.  I passed by the Ukraine Catholic Church but hadn't had time to go inside.  I did visit with about 10 different relatives and to see them and get to know them in a short period of time was near to impossible.

                My eldest son was touring with Yavir dance troop.  They had a free concert in Ternopil and busload of Moskaluk came to greet and see him.  Even when we walk on street people would say "Slava" to each other (this was short form for Slava icuce hrusty) very religious.  There was no russian, polish, idish or german spoken everything was Ukrainian.  There was a large bust of Ivan Franko near the community centre.  As I asked my cousins about this they didn't know who the person was.  My cousin said that Ivan Franko would come to see my grandfather, as he was the local blacksmith and the town mayor in early 1900's.  Most people there are very friendly and look to be well off.  There is a bus service that runs six times a day from Ivan Frankisk to Hostiv.  I was really amazed at this infrastructure.  Most of the houses have barns and summer kitchens.  Each house is fenced in and some have amazing metal work for the fencing.  I noticed that the primary area was agriculture however most people work else wear and come to live.

                It was unique that when i was walking on the road that cattle would be leave every one's barn at the same time and you would have about 100 head going to fields to feed.  I was amazed that many people came to Hostiv to live.  You have a small plot of land near home in which you grow your own food.  I didn't see stores however my cousin said there were 4 bars in the village those looks like homes.  When I went into the bar it was like a corner store that had everything.

                Cell phones.  Wow everyone one had a cell phone.  Instead of calling the children to bring in the cows they would call them on the cell phones.  KyivStar has a transmission tower in Hostiv.  Who needs landlines???

                A couple of notables, first I'm sorry that this email is fragmented, there was so much to see and the memories were great.  I did notice that my cousin daughter is in charge of post office in Hostiv.  I will get her number and post it.  I think it is important that we can have better ties to Hostiv than a google satellite map and bunch of names.  Oh on the sad note when I ask to see the church books to who was born, married, died this book was destroyed by Communist.  They though it not to be important.  I would be very interested if someone has this information.

                Thanks

                Don Moskaluk

                oh attach is a picture of my son and his dancing partner outside of Kyiv.  Thought it was a little over the top

                href="http://www.elaguilablanca.com.ar/elaguila/elaguila-proyec2.html" target="_blank">http://www.elaguilablanca.com.ar/elaguila/elaguila-proyec2..html

                ________________________________

                June 3, 2008 5:31:39 AM
                > Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
                name is not part of the town of Hostiw
                > Hi Don,
                > Welcome to the group. Thanks for the comments regarding your
                grandfather - it would be great to hear more one day.

                > You may be interested in looking at the following link to the 1929
                Polish Business Directory which finds Hostow; ( link is  also
                available in the links from the website)

                > http://data. jewishgen.. org/jri-pl/ 1929/loadtop. htm?1482
                >

                > Sure enough it has a J, Moskolnik  listed as the Kawale.  They
                sometimes got the spelling wrong?   Other surnames on the list
                include some the other new members may be interested in. These
                include;

                > Krzyszczuk,
                > Szeremeta

                Stelmoszczuk
                > Kruk   and
                > Grzegorczyn
                >

                > Regards
                >
                > Steven Grzegorczyn
                >
                > PS to all
                >
                > I have uploaded my grandparents wedding photo onto the site.  It
                would be great if anyone who had photo's of Hostow (Historical or
                New) had the time to upload them in the "photos" option of the
                website. Also,  if anyone has encountered and  specific links for
                Hostow/Tarnowica Polna area  not already listed on website, you are
                able to upload the link yourself or alternatively please send me a
                link and I will add it.

                > ________________________________

                6:05 AM
                > To: Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com
                > Subject: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk name
                is not part of the town of Hostiw

                > I've noticed that Moskaluk name is not part of the town of Hostiw .
                Can
                > you please add Moskaluk to the family names of Hostiw. It seems
                that
                > Moskaluk have been there for over a hundred years and Ivan Franko
                use
                > to come an visit the town to talk with my grand father (as he was
                local
                > black smith).
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Don Moskaluk

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • grecko1
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 21, 2008

                  Hi Don,

                  Thanks for sharing your Hostiv and Ukraine experience.   The picture in National costume looks fantastic – with the vibrant colours and wind mills in the background.  6 buses arriving in Hostiv every day suggests a lot of people travel by bus to work.  I recall reading some time back an article on a pre-school having been constructed(US AID)  in town to provide care for the young when they travelled to work.

                  http://www.usaid.gov/locations/europe_eurasia/press/success/2006-09-21.html

                  You should have a read of this as it states;

                  Until recently, single mother Oksana Moskalyuk had to choose between finding a job outside of her village of Gostiv or staying home to care for her four-year-old, Alina”

                  It must have been great to catch up with so many relatives -  I ‘m sure not only wanted to share some time with you, but also a few drinks!

                  I feel that the bust confirms Ivan Franko had a special connection with Hostiv  -  some day we will find out the official reason for locating a bust where it is.

                  I wouldn’t give up yet on the finding information relating to births, deaths and Marriages ( I must admit I’m disappointed with your comments as I was hoping to write to the church as some stage) . My understanding is that for the Roman Catholic church there were 2 religious copies kept – one by the church and other by the bishop.  Also,  if you were searching for information that was less than 100 years only, you would be able to access this at the government office in Tlumach (spravy in the RAHS office in Tlumach). Apparently you need to strong proof that you are related to the person you are seeking information on, and your request needs to be Ukrainian.  Once the information is older than 100 years it then is transferred elsewhere (to Ivan Frankivsk I think?). Then you have the Lviv achives.

                  The following site;

                  http://www.torugg.org/Newsletter/current_issue.html#latin

                  says

                  “In 1784 Emperor Joseph II decreed that each pastor was to keep three separate registers; one for births, one for marriages and one for deaths. These registers were to be written in Latin and the events for each village were to be recorded separately by village. The priests were to function as civil registrars of vital statistics for all Catholic and non-Catholic Christian denominations, as well as for Jews. The registers kept by the Catholic priests were to be considered official state documents”

                  Cheers,

                  Steve

                  ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com
                  > Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:45:53 AM
                  > Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
                  name is not part of the town of Hostiw

                  > Hi Don,
                  > Thought I would note that apart from my surname
                  Grzegorczyn.  Smiegel(or Szmigiel) is also in my family tree, as are
                  the following;
                  > Szeremeta, Marsylewicz, Markiewicz, Andrzejczuk, Ostryzniuk,
                  Krzyszczuk, Wdowiak, Hajdasz, Fediuk, Holij, Chryn, Gacek.  I'm sure
                  many with a Polish spelt name living in Poland have a Ukranian
                  spelling for those that may have remained in Hostow.  I came across a
                  version of what I believe may be my  surname for people that may
                  still still in Ottynia (not far from Hostow/Hostiv) and it was
                  spelt "Hrehorashen" . In Ukrainian the G changes to a H. Another
                  Ottynian name is Markovych which may be Markiewicz in Poland .   I
                  must admit it still amazes me  that  Jan, Ivan and John is one and
                  the same – my fathers name was Jan.

                  > Some Moskolnik's also live in
                  w:st="on">Argentina – site link is in the links

                  ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com [mailto:
                  Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com ] On Behalf Of Don Moskaluk
                  > Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:14 PM
                  > To:
                  ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
                  name is not part of the town of Hostiw

                  > Wow that is amazing.  My Grand Father was named Ivan.  It kinda
                  funny that some of the names I do recognize.  My late father and his
                  neighbour Smiegel use to get together from time to time.

                  > I heading towards Hostiw this summer and hopefully will get some
                  videos and find out more about the town.  I also know that my cousins
                  are running the post office and store.  Hopefully they can send me
                  some information.

                  > Yeah, the J in the could be the polishsized version of Ivan and
                  Moskolnik sure can be spealt wrong.  Even today people spell the name
                  wrong why wouldn't that be different then?  Especially if you
                  directly translated it from Ukrainian or slavic spelling to Polish.
                  Hmmm.

                  > Thanks for your Help
                  >
                  > Dr. Don Moskaluk

                  target="_blank">ups.com
                  > Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:31:39 AM
                  > Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_ Village] I've noticed that Moskaluk
                  name is not part of the town of Hostiw
                  > Hi Don,
                  > Welcome to the group. Thanks for the comments regarding your
                  grandfather - it would be great to hear more one day.

                  > You may be interested in looking at the following link to the 1929
                  Polish Business Directory which finds Hostow; ( link is  also
                  available in the links from the website)

                  > http://data. jewishgen..
                  org/jri-pl/ 1929/loadtop. htm?1482

                  > Sure enough it has a J, Moskolnik  listed as the Kawale.  They
                  sometimes got the spelling wrong?   Other surnames on the list
                  include some the other new members may be interested in. These
                  include;

                  > Krzyszczuk,
                  > Szeremeta
                  > Stelmoszczuk
                  > Kruk   and
                  > Grzegorczyn
                  >

                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Steven Grzegorczyn
                  >
                  > PS to all
                  >
                  > I have uploaded my grandparents wedding photo onto the site.  It
                  would be great if anyone who had photo's of Hostow (Historical or
                  New) had the time to upload them in the "photos" option of the
                  website. Also,  if anyone has encountered and  specific links for
                  Hostow/Tarnowica Polna area  not already listed on website, you are
                  able to upload the link yourself or alternatively please send me a
                  link and I will add it.

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  w:st="on"> Hostiw .

                      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Hostow_ Galicia_Village/ join

                      Hostow_Galicia_ Village-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 23, 2008
                    Hi Steve

                    Yes I am aware of the US Aid.  I went to my cousin Oksana and ask who this person was.  She said it was another distant relative who has small children.

                    It is good news that maybe there are records but I won't know how to contact the bishop in the area.

                    Well if you find any information please contact me.

                    Thanks

                    Don Moskaluk

                    target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com">Hostow_Galicia_ Village@yahoogro ups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 28, 2008

                      Oh I forgot attached are a pictures of storkes in Hostiv and the church from the view of the street.
                      Don Moskaluk

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Hi Don,

                        Thanks for sharing the pictures – looks like the Greek Catholic (or
                        is it Ukrainian Orthodox?) church has just had a face lift with a new
                        coat of paint and some new roofing. The storks are quite common I
                        think in Poland/Ukraine. We don't see any of these types of birds
                        where I live in Australia ( we have Magpies, Crows, Rosella's, King
                        Parrots, blue wrens, wattle birds).

                        Suspect we need to get a comprehensive list of addresses for those
                        researching in the Hostow( Hositv ) area and place these addresses
                        on the site in the files section. I'll try and start compiling the
                        info I have and send an email once I have added it to the web site.
                        Reading information on other sites suggests the LDS are digitizing
                        many records and are not far off completing some that may be of use
                        to us. Suspect this will be open to public – lets wait and see what
                        happens in the next 18 months/couple of years – we can only hope that
                        some of the Greek Catholic records for Hostow ( Hostiv ) area become
                        available.

                        Would you mind if I added the photos you sent onto the photo's
                        section of the site?

                        I was looking through a list of immigrants that travelled to the to
                        USA form around 1899 to 1914 form Ellis Island. You may know about
                        this site already. To get to the site you;

                        1. go to http://www.stevemorse.org/

                        2. Select Ellis Island Gold Form (1892-1924): Enhanced Form for
                        Searching for Ellis Island Passengers in One Step.

                        3. Where it says Town name, type in "Hostow" and select SEARCH

                        4. Scroll down list and you will find "Mihot Moksilowicz" arriving
                        in the USA n 1909.

                        Note: you will also get names for other villages which are spelt
                        similarly to Hostow, but most (I suspect around 35 are from
                        definitely from Hostow/Hostiv). If you sign up you are able to find
                        further info, etc)

                        If you don't want to sign up go to;

                        http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/

                        and key in the spelling of Moksilowicz that you found on Ellis Island
                        Gold in box stating "Last or Family Name",

                        You will now have access to details such as;

                        Port Details of arrival, Date of Arrival, Ethnicity Pol or Ruth, Age
                        and the ship travelling on.

                        Interestingly, the site has him listed as Polish?

                        It appears that if you get the exact spelling right from the Ellis
                        Island you can link up with info in Family Search. For Grzegorczyn
                        the database also shows Gregorczyn, Grygorezyn.

                        ELLIS ISLAND HOSTOW DIRECT

                        You can go direct to this Hostow page by going to

                        http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
                        uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
                        old.html&mode=running&time=1233480697078&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
                        nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
                        town=Hostow&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAGE=&
                        offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&F
                        LD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=
                        annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

                        or direct to Tarnowica Polna ( other towns also shown – suggest you
                        use Town Name Tarnowica" – at least 16 of the 36 names appear to be
                        from Tarnowica Polna. Despite there being no mention of the word
                        Polna).

                        http://66.43.29.252/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?
                        uid=12334806185001233480663500&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisg
                        old.html&mode=running&time=1233481841703&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstki
                        nd=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&
                        town=Tarnowica&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAG
                        E=&offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=ag
                        e&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&F
                        LD=annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

                        Cheers,

                        Steve

                        PS – I have added to Ellis Island Gold forms on website