RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Searching For Family Roots

  • grecko1
    Message 1 of 7 , May 24 7:07 PM

      Hi Mitch,

      The knowledge base on Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine Group will be a much better fit for you – don’t dismiss the PBS site ( recommend you join both for starters and complete a search on old topics )

      During 1921-1939 Podkamien was actually located in the Tarnopol province with Tarnopol as is provincial capital.   Hostow on the other hand was located to the South West in the Stansilawow province with Stanslawow as its provincial capital.  Hence, your area of study is outside the groups area of interest – sorry.

      If you are interested in the relative positions of both areas see

      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/42-49.jpg

      You will find Podkamien near the top of the map just below where  the heading reads “10’  XXX1 Galizien”  Podkamien is directly below 10”.  On the other hand Hostow is not noted on map directly but is located immediately east of Worona ( Go down the right or Easterly side of map and you will find it.)  below Stanislowow.

      A good reference site  for language statistics in various areas is;

      http://www.halgal.com/galicia.html

      Highly recommend this site

      Good Luck

      Regards,