RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Searching For Family Roots

  • grecko1
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2008

      Hi Mitch,

      Thanks for joining the group. I suspect you don’t have specific information relating to your ancestral village – Do you know your grandfathers ancestral village?

       I haven’t heard of the surname before however, I did go to the maxipages link below

      http://maxpages.com/bpbs/BOBA_thru_BOZY

      and found the following researcher looking at Borodenko

      BORODENKO
      Contact Henryk Drewniak

      emdrew@...

      This is certainly worth a look.

      Also joining the Polish Border Surnames site ( see B below)

      And /OR  joining

      is worth considering.

      Posting a question on either the Polish Border Surnames or the Galicia_Poland_Ukraine would be a good step forward.

      I recommend that you first undertake some research to confirm your ancestral village(if you are able), and quote this as well when asking questions.

      Hope this is of some assistance

      Good Luck,

      Steve

      A.

      http://maxpages.com/poland

      Through this site you can find other people researching same or similar surnames.

      B.

      HOW TO SUBSCRIBE to Polish Border Surnames user group

      C.

      Through this site you can ask questions to the group – there are some very knowledgeable people on this 900+ member site who will be able to guide you on best way to find Canadian and US records.

      D.

      http://www.stankiewicze.com/ludobojstwo/galicja.html

      Map of East Galicia Administration districts

      E.

      http://www.familysearch.org/

      LDS site for accessing micro films containing village birth, death and marriage  records.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 18, 2008
        Thank you for your reply. I will check those sites out. The info I have is from the Ellis Island site.

        First Name: Stanislaw
        Last Name: Borodenka
        Ethnicity: Galicia
        Last Place of Residence: Podkamien
        Date of Arrival: Jun 16, 1899
        Age at Arrival:  24y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S
        Ship of Travel: H.H. Meier
        Port of Departure: Bremen
        Manifest Line Number: 0013

        My father has always told me he was from near Tarnopol. Do either of these places, Podkamien or Tarnopol, fall into the area of interest of this Group. It may be that the Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine Group is a better match for me.

        Mitch Berdinka

        emdrew@.... pl

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine/ ?yguid=268000176

        Message 3 of 7 , May 24, 2008

          Hi Mitch,

          The knowledge base on Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine Group will be a much better fit for you – don’t dismiss the PBS site ( recommend you join both for starters and complete a search on old topics )

          During 1921-1939 Podkamien was actually located in the Tarnopol province with Tarnopol as is provincial capital.   Hostow on the other hand was located to the South West in the Stansilawow province with Stanslawow as its provincial capital.  Hence, your area of study is outside the groups area of interest – sorry.

          If you are interested in the relative positions of both areas see

          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/42-49.jpg

          You will find Podkamien near the top of the map just below where  the heading reads “10’  XXX1 Galizien”  Podkamien is directly below 10”.  On the other hand Hostow is not noted on map directly but is located immediately east of Worona ( Go down the right or Easterly side of map and you will find it.)  below Stanislowow.

          A good reference site  for language statistics in various areas is;

          http://www.halgal.com/galicia.html

          Highly recommend this site

          Good Luck

          Regards,

          Steve

[...]

          size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>