RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Any Links with Hostow and Oryszkowce

  • grecko1
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2008

      Hi Michael,

      I found you question quite interesting, as Kopyczynce is located just North of Borszczow(Borshciv) -  Further east than Buczacz(Buchach), and south East of  Tarnopol .  Recently Anna advised on this forum that she was researching Andrzejczuk  in Borszczow area, and Andrzejczuk’s were also located in Hostow.   I know little about the migration patterns of people in the area, so I wouldn’t discount anything at this stage.

      I looked through my files and found reference to a Stelmaszczuk  birth in 1802 (Franciscius Czupkow Stelmaszczuk.

      There were a few fortuitous entries I have also around 1840 have them listed  as Catholica  in contrast to  AcCatholica.  Hence, it appears they worshipped as Roman Catholics.  Stefan Stelmaszczuk was married to Anna Gacek in 1928 -  He was Roman Catholic

      In the links(on the site) you will find a reference to the 1929 business directory for Hostow, where a Stelmoszczuk is mentioned and then separately a Stelmaszczuk is noted as  a Charpentiers and a Tailleurs.

      Do you have any idea what Stelmasz means?

      Do you have any contacts that would be aware of surnames present in the Przybylow/ Hostow area

      Cheers,

      Steve