Any Links with Hostow and Oryszkowce

  • nanandmikeski
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2008
      I would like to try to identify if there any family links between the 2
      Galician villages Hostow and Oryszkowce. On my fathers side the
      surname is Nawrocki and Grandmothers is Stelmaszczuk I have been
      carrying geanological research though the family history centres and
      have managed to trace Nawrocki's from Oryszkowce to the year 1858 but
      not much before, but as yet no Stelmaszczuks are registered in the
      births register for Oryszkowce near Kopyczynce. My Grandmother was
      Greek Catholic although there are Greek catholics listed in the Roman
      Catholic parish church register.
      Most of my Polish family were moved to the Silesia region after the
      war and quite recently my cousins daughter married a Przybylow which
      is a neighbouring village to Hostow where there are Stelmaszczuks
      mentioned as living there. Does anyone know of any connection please.
    • grecko1
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2008

        Hi Michael,

        I found you question quite interesting, as Kopyczynce is located just North of Borszczow(Borshciv) -  Further east than Buczacz(Buchach), and south East of  Tarnopol .  Recently Anna advised on this forum that she was researching Andrzejczuk  in Borszczow area, and Andrzejczuk’s were also located in Hostow.   I know little about the migration patterns of people in the area, so I wouldn’t discount anything at this stage.

        I looked through my files and found reference to a Stelmaszczuk  birth in 1802 (Franciscius Czupkow Stelmaszczuk.

        There were a few fortuitous entries I have also around 1840 have them listed  as Catholica  in contrast to  AcCatholica.  Hence, it appears they worshipped as Roman Catholics.  Stefan Stelmaszczuk was married to Anna Gacek in 1928 -  He was Roman Catholic

        In the links(on the site) you will find a reference to the 1929 business directory for Hostow, where a Stelmoszczuk is mentioned and then separately a Stelmaszczuk is noted as  a Charpentiers and a Tailleurs.

        Do you have any idea what Stelmasz means?

        Do you have any contacts that would be aware of surnames present in the Przybylow/ Hostow area

        Cheers,

        Steve