RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Searching For Family Roots

  • rod lisenchuk
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7 12:31 PM
      Hello...many thanks for the valuable information ....it will be exciting finding out more information.
      Rod

      To: Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com
      From: grecko1@...
      Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:58:50 +1100
      Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Searching For Family Roots

      Hi Rod,

      Welcome to the group.

      For you historical relatives-

      I had a quick look at my Hostów files to see what references I had;

      -  Marija Lysenczuk Born 1877 married  Jakob Staciuk.  Her parents were Ignacigo and Wiktoryi Kruk. She passed away in 1920

      -  Katarzyna Lysenczuk born 1886  married Mikolaj Tarkiewicz  (4 children)

      - Jozafat Lysenczuk born 1870

      - Jan Lysenczuk bor 1886

      - Michal Lysenczuk born 1859

      So there were a few Lysenczuk’s around  at the time. But I don’t have anything that matches your info – its purely fortuitous that I found that info for your potential relatives.  Suggest best step is to;

      1. Chase up the original immigration records for your grandparents and see what other information was provided.

      Try  http://www.collecti onscanada. gc.ca/archiviane t/passenger/ index-e.html

      1. Order some Church of Latter Day Saints(LDS  - Mormons) microfilms.  There should be a family history centre not far from your home where you can view and copy microfilm pages.  Select  the “links” option on the Hostow website and locate LDS……  This should be a good start, and you can find the closest history centre via the net.   The microfilms that have information with Hostow data that I am aware of are;

      i.                     2039892   ( suggest you start with this one)

      ii.                   2328803  and

      iii.                  2039933

      iv.                  Unfortunately not Greek Catholic records have been listed. From the records I’ve seen Lysenczuk’s worshipped in the Greek Catholic Church in Hostow.

      1. Consider joining some other user groups – they may be able to assist if you have trouble finding immigration docs etc. The options below are worth considering

      A.

      http://maxpages. com/poland

      Through this site you can find other people researching same or similar surnames.

      B.

      HOW TO SUBSCRIBE to Polish Border Surnames user group

      C.

      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine/

      Through this site you can ask questions to the group – there are some very knowledgeable people on this 900+ member site who will be able to guide you on best way to find Canadian and US records.

      D.

      http://www.stankiew icze.com/ ludobojstwo/ galicja.html

      Map of East Galicia Administration districts

      E.

      http://www.familyse arch.org/

      LDS site for accessing micro films containing village birth, death and marriage  records.

      Unfortunately, I too would love a telephone book of the Hostów area.  However, I suggest you will probably have relatives there as they worshipped in the Greek Catholic church, and current population is around 1000.

      Regards and good luck,

      Steve Grzegorczyn

      PS.

      1. I have “Hostowian”  relatives in Scarborough, Ontario
      2. I’ll send you another email directly.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2008
        Hello Group
        I'm looking for info on my grand father's family who came from this
        area. Last name was Borodenko or Borodenka. Was changed to Berdinka
        when his kids attended school in this country. I met up with a Bruno
        Borodenko several years ago in Seattle who immigrated here with his
        family from Ukraine.

        Mitch Berdinka
      • grecko1
        Message 3 of 7 , May 17, 2008

          Hi Mitch,

          Thanks for joining the group. I suspect you don’t have specific information relating to your ancestral village – Do you know your grandfathers ancestral village?

           I haven’t heard of the surname before however, I did go to the maxipages link below

          http://maxpages.com/bpbs/BOBA_thru_BOZY

          and found the following researcher looking at Borodenko

          BORODENKO
          Contact Henryk Drewniak

          emdrew@...

          This is certainly worth a look.

          Also joining the Polish Border Surnames site ( see B below)

          And /OR  joining

          is worth considering.

          Posting a question on either the Polish Border Surnames or the Galicia_Poland_Ukraine would be a good step forward.

          I recommend that you first undertake some research to confirm your ancestral village(if you are able), and quote this as well when asking questions.

          Hope this is of some assistance

          Good Luck,

          Steve

          Message 4 of 7 , May 18, 2008
            Thank you for your reply. I will check those sites out. The info I have is from the Ellis Island site.

            First Name: Stanislaw
            Last Name: Borodenka
            Ethnicity: Galicia
            Last Place of Residence: Podkamien
            Date of Arrival: Jun 16, 1899
            Age at Arrival:  24y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S
            Ship of Travel: H.H. Meier
            Port of Departure: Bremen
            Manifest Line Number: 0013

            My father has always told me he was from near Tarnopol. Do either of these places, Podkamien or Tarnopol, fall into the area of interest of this Group. It may be that the Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine Group is a better match for me.

            Mitch Berdinka

            emdrew@.... pl

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine/ ?yguid=268000176

            Message 5 of 7 , May 24, 2008

              Hi Mitch,

              The knowledge base on Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine Group will be a much better fit for you – don’t dismiss the PBS site ( recommend you join both for starters and complete a search on old topics )

              During 1921-1939 Podkamien was actually located in the Tarnopol province with Tarnopol as is provincial capital.   Hostow on the other hand was located to the South West in the Stansilawow province with Stanslawow as its provincial capital.  Hence, your area of study is outside the groups area of interest – sorry.

              If you are interested in the relative positions of both areas see

              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/42-49.jpg

              You will find Podkamien near the top of the map just below where  the heading reads “10’  XXX1 Galizien”  Podkamien is directly below 10”.  On the other hand Hostow is not noted on map directly but is located immediately east of Worona ( Go down the right or Easterly side of map and you will find it.)  below Stanislowow.

              A good reference site  for language statistics in various areas is;

              http://www.halgal.com/galicia.html

              Highly recommend this site

              Good Luck

              Regards,

              Steve

[...]

              size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>