      From: grecko1 <grecko1@...>
      To: Hostow_Galicia_Village@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:47:11 AM
      Subject: RE: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Moskaluk in Hostiv

      Hi Don,

      Thanks for sharing your Hostiv and Ukraine experience.   The picture in National costume looks fantastic – with the vibrant colours and wind mills in the background.  6 buses arriving in Hostiv every day suggests a lot of people travel by bus to work.  I recall reading some time back an article on a pre-school having been constructed(US AID)  in town to provide care for the young when they travelled to work.

      http://www.usaid.gov/locations/europe_eurasia/press/success/2006-09-21.html

      You should have a read of this as it states;

      Until recently, single mother Oksana Moskalyuk had to choose between finding a job outside of her village of Gostiv or staying home to care for her four-year-old, Alina”

      It must have been great to catch up with so many relatives -  I ‘m sure not only wanted to share some time with you, but also a few drinks!

      I feel that the bust confirms Ivan Franko had a special connection with Hostiv  -  some day we will find out the official reason for locating a bust where it is.

      I wouldn’t give up yet on the finding information relating to births, deaths and Marriages ( I must admit I’m disappointed with your comments as I was hoping to write to the church as some stage) . My understanding is that for the Roman Catholic church there were 2 religious copies kept – one by the church and other by the bishop.  Also,  if you were searching for information that was less than 100 years only, you would be able to access this at the government office in Tlumach (spravy in the RAHS office in Tlumach). Apparently you need to strong proof that you are related to the person you are seeking information on, and your request needs to be Ukrainian.  Once the information is older than 100 years it then is transferred elsewhere (to Ivan Frankivsk I think?). Then you have the Lviv achives.

      The following site;

      http://www.torugg.org/Newsletter/current_issue.html#latin

      says

      “In 1784 Emperor Joseph II decreed that each pastor was to keep three separate registers; one for births, one for marriages and one for deaths. These registers were to be written in Latin and the events for each village were to be recorded separately by village. The priests were to function as civil registrars of vital statistics for all Catholic and non-Catholic Christian denominations, as well as for Jews. The registers kept by the Catholic priests were to be considered official state documents”

      Cheers,

      Steve