39Re: [Hostow_Galicia_Village] Moskaluk in Hostiv

  • Don Moskaluk
    Dec 20, 2008

      I one of the few lucky ones that had an outstanding trip in Ukraine.  I only a about 6 hours in Hostiv.  I went to gravesite and was concern that people were not taking care of the graveyard.  I did see many of my relatives and generations of Moskaluk.  It seems that I still have a large family in Hostiv.

      It was unfortunate that the July 2008 floods in that region did kill a small child that came close to overflowing river. The cello people had a good range of old and young.  I noticed that development was taken place as people are building new houses.  There were many in various state of construction.  I passed by the Ukraine Catholic Church but hadn't had time to go inside.  I did visit with about 10 different relatives and to see them and get to know them in a short period of time was near to impossible.

      My eldest son was touring with Yavir dance troop.  They had a free concert in Ternopil and busload of Moskaluk came to greet and see him.  Even when we walk on street people would say "Slava" to each other (this was short form for Slava icuce hrusty) very religious.  There was no russian, polish, idish or german spoken everything was Ukrainian.  There was a large bust of Ivan Franko near the community centre.  As I asked my cousins about this they didn't know who the person was.  My cousin said that Ivan Franko would come to see my grandfather, as he was the local blacksmith and the town mayor in early 1900's.  Most people there are very friendly and look to be well off.  There is a bus service that runs six times a day from Ivan Frankisk to Hostiv.  I was really amazed at this infrastructure.  Most of the houses have barns and summer kitchens.  Each house is fenced in and some have amazing metal work for the fencing.  I noticed that the primary area was agriculture however most people work else wear and come to live.

      It was unique that when i was walking on the road that cattle would be leave every one's barn at the same time and you would have about 100 head going to fields to feed.  I was amazed that many people came to Hostiv to live.  You have a small plot of land near home in which you grow your own food.  I didn't see stores however my cousin said there were 4 bars in the village those looks like homes.  When I went into the bar it was like a corner store that had everything.

      Cell phones.  Wow everyone one had a cell phone.  Instead of calling the children to bring in the cows they would call them on the cell phones.  KyivStar has a transmission tower in Hostiv.  Who needs landlines???

      A couple of notables, first I'm sorry that this email is fragmented, there was so much to see and the memories were great.  I did notice that my cousin daughter is in charge of post office in Hostiv.  I will get her number and post it.  I think it is important that we can have better ties to Hostiv than a google satellite map and bunch of names.  Oh on the sad note when I ask to see the church books to who was born, married, died this book was destroyed by Communist.  They though it not to be important.  I would be very interested if someone has this information.

      Thanks

      Don Moskaluk

      oh attach is a picture of my son and his dancing partner outside of Kyiv.  Thought it was a little over the top