King CD funding & 2012 HCW work for King County & Puget Sound

  • Alayne Blickle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2012

      Hi Everyone, I hope you’re enjoying a good spring!

      I want to let those of you who live in Puget Sound know that there’s been a change in circumstances as far as my Horses for Clean Water work there. As most of you know, Horses for Clean Water has been able to have a major educational impact in Puget Sound thanks to the King Conservation District and my many years of contract work for them.

      Unfortunately for all of us, the King CD has lost their 2012 assessment revenues, their primary funding mechanism. This came about because of a successful legal challenge from a private property owner. This new dilemma means the KCD had to cancel their contract with me. It's a very difficult situation for the KCD; their staff is their strongest resource and they are working hard to hang on to them.

      For the immediate future, King CD staff is planning to continue with some of the educational events I had scheduled through July (which the KCD will run instead of me.) After that they will put the small farm education program on hold until 2013 when hopefully they’ll have full funding again and I can come back on board.

      The KCD is currently in the process of assessing the extent of the impact associated with this situation; they are fortunate in having money in reserve that will allow their office to remain open and functioning for the time being. They hope to be able to tighten their belts for 2012 and work with their partners to ensure they return to full operational capacity in 2013.

      Please feel free to contact the KCD staff or Board members with any comments or ideas you may over the coming months, and I’ll look forward to keeping in touch and bringing an exceptional KCD small farm educational program to you in 2013.

      KCD Contact Info:

      King Conservation District

      www.kingcd.org

      1107 SW Grady Way, Ste. 130