The Green Horse - June 2009

  • Elizabeth Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2009
      To view this email as a web page, go here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/2009_06.html>.

      The Green Horse
      Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

      June 2009

      The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
      http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/
      Published by Alayne Blickle, HCW Program Director

      In this issue...
      * Message from Alayne: Update
      * New DVD and Updated Sacrifice Area Tip Sheet
      * It's All in Your Perspective!
      * Tips for Safer Grazing
      * Bat Houses
      * Farm Focus: Cosgrove Farm
      * Educational Events

      Platinum Level Sponsor: Sweet PDZ Stall Refresher
      http://www.sweetpdz.com/

      Message from Alayne: Update
      It's only the start of June yet Matt and I are already on our fourth reining
      show of the year. Next weekend will be the Reining Horse Association of the
      Northwest's Derby in Moses Lake, WA. The derby class is a special event for
      young horses, ages 4, 5 and 6 years old.
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/2009_06.html#article1>

      New DVD, Updated Tip Sheet and More CafePress Products!
      Here at HCW we've been working hard to come up with the best ways to help
      you have horsekeeping success.
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/2009_06.html#article2>

      It's All in Your Perspective!
      Sheep help out with the weed war on an eastern Washington wheat farm
      by Debbie Fortner, Eastern Washington Wheat Farmer
      It all started with a simple statement, "We have a cereal rye problem in the
      outground..."
      My family has been farming wheat and grains for four generations. We have a
      moderate sized farm in the Palouse region of southeastern Washington, a
      semi-arid area of beautiful rolling hills that rise up to about 2300 feet in
      elevation with about 16 inches of rain per year--perfect conditions for
      growing wheat. But when you're farming a grain crop, weeds are a big problem
      since they contaminate the end product and reduce profits.
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/2009_06.html#article3>

      Dreams of Horse Manure
      "My wife and I really enjoyed and appreciated the classes that you and Rosie
      put on in Jefferson County, WA. Thanks very much. We are in the process of
      utilizing the information that you put out in the classes. I want you to
      know that it's your fault that I now dream about picking up horse poop. At
      least I've finally stopped dreaming about the airport that I worked at for
      thirty years before I retired, so I'm thinking horse poop is a step up.
      Anyway, thanks again for the good work that you do."
      --Ken, HCW class participant

      Grasses, Pasture and Horse Health: Tips for Safer Grazing
      Over the years, pasture grasses and related grazing principles have been
      developed for horses through the cattle and sheep industries. This means we
      have grass species with extremely high levels of sugars and carbohydrates.
      This might be good for fattening up animals bound for milk or meat
      production and early age slaughter, but it's NOT GOOD for horses, athletic
      animals intended to live 25 or more years.
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/2009_06.html#article4>

      Bat Houses: Where to hang them and how to attract a renter
      Reprinted by permission from the Washington Department of Fish and
      Wildlife's newsletter, Crossing Paths, and featuring advice from Russell
      Link, WDFW's Urban Biologist.
      Bats provide excellent insect control--particularly for those pesky,
      nocturnal flying bugs--and spring is a good time to be thinking about
      putting up a bat box!
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/2009_06.html#article5>

      Farm Focus: Cosgrove Farm
      Lusitano Horses and Rescue Goats!
      Enumclaw, WA
      Thursday, June 18th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
      FREE!
      Start out the summer with an educational farm tour on the beautiful,
      agricultural Enumclaw plateau. At this one-woman operation you will see a
      charming four-acre horse property with a beautiful Lusitano mare. The
      Lusitano is an older breed of horse bred by the Portuguese, descending from
      Iberian horses in Europe. They were originally bred for military work and
      bullfighting, and later for dressage. Early European explorers, including
      Chistopher Columbus, brought Lusitanos to the New World. Escapees from the
      explorers became the foundation for many of today's American horses,
      including mustangs. You can learn more about Lusitanos at this tour.
      You can also learn more about goats. Goats can be a low care, low cost
      alternative to having a second horse, which is precisely why this farm owner
      obtained the goats. In the process, she fell in love with their whimsical,
      charming ways. Meet a representative from Puget Sound Goat Rescue, an
      organization that adopts out tame goats and provides information on goat
      care.
      And of course, Horses for Clean Water will be there too, along with King
      Conservation District. Learn about:
      * Newly refurbished sand paddocks
      * Compost bins located directly on paddocks for chore efficiency
      * Goat manure management
      * Pasture management for those with full time jobs and no tractor
      * Wildlife enhancement and dealing with wet areas in pastures
      * Small outdoor arena
      * Goat management and care
      * Lusitano horses and dressage riding
      Registration and directions: 425-282-1949 or <signup@...>.
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/2009_03.html#article6>

      Educational Events

      Learn about GREEN horsekeeping techniques to make your farm life easier and
      more eco-friendly by coming to the following educational events.
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/2009_03.html#article7>

      Enumclaw, WA
      Farm Tour: Lusitano Horses and Rescue Goats!
      Thursday, June 18, 2009, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
      FREE!
      Meet a beautiful Lusitano mare (the foundation breed for many of today's
      horses, and the original cow horse!) and her herd of goats. Goats can be a
      low-care, low cost alternative to having a second horse, which is exactly
      why this farm got the goats. In the process, the farm owner has fallen in
      love with their whimsical, charming ways. Join this tour to learn about
      goats as a companion for horses, as well as pasture management, wildlife
      enhancement, mud-free paddocks, an outdoor riding arena, and more!
      BONUS: Meet a representative from Puget Sound Goat Rescue, a goat rescue
      organization that adopts out tame goats and provides information on goat
      care.
      Register and receive directions from King Conservation District at
      425-282-1949 or send <signup@...>.

      Renton, WA
      Farm Tour: Five Acre Sustainable Urban Farm
      Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
      FREE!
      In a rapidly developing area of Renton sits 5 acres of well-utilized
      farmland. Join the KCD to meet a family who is working to produce their own
      organic food in a sustainable fashion by utilizing their yard, garden, lawn
      and woods. Learn about sustainability and what that can mean to each of us
      in terms of reducing our impact on the land while saving money AND producing
      healthy food! This family raises goats for milk and cheese, chickens, ducks
      and geese for eggs and meat, vegetable gardens and fruit trees for produce,
      trees for firewood, bees for pollination and honey, and grass for livestock
      hay. Learn about ways to reduce chemical use, cost-savings on food
      production, low-tech gardening techniques such as chicken tractors, and how
      children can be an important part of the chore and animal-care routine. We
      promise you will be surprised at the volume and value of healthy food
      produced on this amazing family farm!
      Register and receive directions from King Conservation District at
      425-282-1949 or send <signup@...>.

      Covington, WA
      New Partner!
      Workshop: Build Your Own Compost Bin!
      Thursday, July 23, 2009, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
      The Home Depot, Covington, WA
      FREE!
      Summer is the time to get busy on building plans. And at the top of your "to
      do" list is manure management, right? Join HCW and the KCD, along with
      building experts from The Home Depot, for a tour and discussion of the
      materials and tools necessary for building a chore efficient compost binto
      suit both your needs and your horse's. Learn about treated wood, untreated
      options, and power tools.
      Register and receive directions from King Conservation District at
      425-282-1949 or send <signup@...>.

      Maple Valley, WA
      Farm Tour: The Kid-Friendly Horse Farm!
      Wednesday, August 5, 2009, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
      FREE!
      Often times we teach kids about riding without teaching them about what
      comes along with that responsibility. Other times it's a struggle on how to
      scale things down to a kid's level or what horse-safe chores to include kids
      on. Join the KCD and HCW on this unique tour to explore how you can
      incorporate children into green horsekeeping on your farm. This 1.25 acre
      horse property has 2 horses, a pony and 3 young children who have been
      taught the joys of composting, manure management, horse safety, feeding and
      other aspects of the horse care routine. Kids with parents are encouraged to
      join this tour!
      Register and receive directions from King Conservation District at
      425-282-1949 or send <signup@...>.

      Grandview/Arlington, WA
      Farm Tour and BBQ Lunch: Shop for Horse Property or Improve an Existing
      Property
      Saturday, September 26, 2009
      10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon or 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
      FREE!
      The historical old barn on this former dairy hosted cows, sheep and
      chickens. Now it's home to beef cattle, two horses and a donkey. HCW will
      highlight what to look for if you're buying a new farm, especially if you
      want to bring home horses. The Bryant family has put a lot of time, money
      and thought into revamping this farm so that it will be chore-efficient and
      clean for their animals. It always pays to do your homework first, saving
      time and money down the road! Join us for an informal barbeque lunch ($5
      payable at the door, includes non-meat options) and a presentation by Alayne
      on Tips for Preparing Your Farm for Fall/Winter.
      To register and receive directions e-mail <workshops@...> or
      call Pam at 425-335-5634x123.

      Maple Valley, WA
      New Event!
      NEW!!! Horses for Clean Water Presents Horse Camp!
      June to September 2009
      Please contact for specifics!
      Coming this summer! Join our award-winning, environmentally sensitive
      horsekeeping program for some good, clean horsing around. Beginning in 2009,
      Horses for Clean Water will offer 3 great horse camp programs.
      Cowgirl Horse Camp for Women
      These 4-day sessions offer you a chance to work cows, trail ride and relax.
      Bring your horse or ride one of ours. This camp offers women a chance to try
      new experiences with their horses in a fun, safe, and positive environment.
      We provide 3 meals a day, with nighttime HCW lectures or other speakers. At
      night, soak in a hot tub under the stars, while your horse grazes peacefully
      nearby.
      Kids' Horsemanship Day Camp
      Give your children an opportunity to learn about horses, horse care, and the
      environment in this safe, fun program. Alayne, an environmental educator,
      will direct this structured, closely supervised program that gives kids a
      half day with horses to learn about horse care and ends with pony rides.
      Includes snack time and an environmental lesson.
      Horse Camp for Adults
      Come enjoy an extended stay as a working guest. Ride one of our well-trained
      horses and enjoy trails, camping, cows and an assortment of activities in a
      fun, safe and positive atmosphere. Learn about horses, horse care and
      horsemanship, as well as about HCW and green horsekeeping. At night, relax
      in a hot tub under the stars, and listen to the serenade of nearby coyotes.
      Room and board provided.

      For details on all 3 camps, e-mail Alayne <alayne@...>
      or call 425-432-6116.

      If you have any questions or would like to submit an article for publication
      in The Green Horse <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/>,
      please e-mail <info@...>.