The Green Horse - November 2006

  • Elizabeth Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2006
      To view this email as a web page, go here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2006.html> .

      The Green Horse
      Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

      November 2006

      The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
      http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
      Published on the 10th of each month by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses
      for Clean Water

      In this issue...
      * Message from Alayne: I See Manure Everywhere
      * Protecting Groundwater
      * Tip of the Month: Gutter Talk
      * In the News
      * Educational Events

      Horses For Clean Water Logo Sweatshirt
      <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater.41048286>
      Priced at $27.97
      Take a look at this month's featured HCW product. And donĀ¹t forget to browse
      our CafePress store and find something that will show your support for HCW
      programs and the environmentally sensitive horsekeeping message! If
      you need a shirt for your favorite guy or kid, browse our CafePress store
      <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater/> and find something that will show
      your support for HCW programs and the environmentally sensitive horsekeeping
      message!

      Message from Alayne: Message from Alayne: I See Manure Everywhere
      At our last reining show of the year a recent acquaintance spotted
      me and rushed up to me-her face lit up with excitement-just to tell me about
      her experiences composting. Turns out she is an avid composter and just had
      to share her personal story with someone she figured would appreciate it.
      And I did. In fact, I loved it. I really do love it when people have manure
      stories for me. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2006.html#article1> to
      read Alayne's message.

      Protecting Groundwater
      When you hear people talk about protecting our water, the focus
      is often on surface water-streams, lakes, rivers, etc. It's not often that
      you hear much talk about aquifers and the importance of protecting our
      groundwater. Aquifers are an extremely precious resource and once they are
      contaminated, cleanup is expensive and sometimes impossible. How can we
      protect this important source of water? Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2006.html#article2> to
      read more.

      Tip of the Month: Gutter Talk
      If you already have gutters and downspouts in place take time this month to
      check and be sure they are functioning properly. And if you don't know your
      runoff totals, check out a great new Roof Runoff Calculator! Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2006.html#article3> to
      to read the complete tip.

      In the News

      * Horse in King County, WA dies of West Nile Virus
      * Horse Protection Act Legislation
      * Clark County resident and eight birds from around
      Washington state test positive for West Nile virus
      * Err on Side of Caution with Prescription Antibiotics
      Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2006.html#article4> to
      read all of the latest news tidbits.

      Educational Events
      Join HCW staff at these upcoming events this fall and winter. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2006.html#article5> or
      visit the Educational Events page
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
      descriptions.

      Preston, WA
      Workshops for Horse and Small Farm Owners
      Thursday evenings
      November 16, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
      FREE!
      Hands-on workshops on livestock management practices. See a variety of
      options and work with technicians to discover ways you can have less mud,
      better pastures and manage manure.
      To register and receive directions contact the King Conservation District at
      425-277-5581x120 or <brandy.reed@...>.

      Carnation, WA
      All Natural Horse Farm!
      Saturday, November 18th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
      Carnation, WA
      FREE!
      Crossing Rivers Ranch is a 21+ acre horse operation. The owner/operator and
      our host for this tour is into many areas of "natural" horse keeping
      including bodywork and natural hoof care. In addition, 3 of the 6 horses on
      the property are PMU horses from the Premarin industry in Canada. Her
      natural horse keeping interests extend to her horse farm and the environment
      where she works creative ways to reduce mud, keep pasture productive and
      manage manure. To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation
      District at 425-277-5581x125 or <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

      Newport, OR
      HCW in Oregon
      December 11th to 14th
      Lincoln and Lane Counties
      Details TBD
      Learn ways to reduce mud and great options for managing manure. Contact the
      Lincoln Soil and Water Conservation District, 541-265-2631 or
      <kate.danks@...>.

      Canby, OR
      Clackamas County Horses and Mud Workshop
      Saturday, January 27, 2007
      Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby, OR
      Details TBD
      Join Horses for Clean Water and Oregon State University Extension Service on
      for an all day workshop on horse farm management. Learn wonderful techniques
      to protect horse health, enhance farm productivity and improve chore
      efficiency. For more information contact Melissa Fery, Small Farms Agent at
      541-766-3553 or <Melissa.Fery@...>.

      If you have any questions or would like to submit an article for publication
      in The Green Horse <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/>,
      please e-mail info@....