The Green Horse - August 2006

  • Elizabeth Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2006
      To view this email as a web page, go here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2006.html> .

      The Green Horse
      Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

      August 2006

      The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
      http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
      Published on the 10th of each month by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses
      for Clean Water

      This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

      In this issue...
      * Message from Alayne: It¹s not my ³hobby!²
      * Grasses, Grazing and Horse Health
      * Who Are the Good Guys Anyway?
      * Unwanted Wildlife: Dealing with Close Encounters
      * Are You a Mosquito Magnet?
      * Educational Events

      Newsflash!

      New Tip Sheet now available for purchase! We have finally finished the tip
      sheet titled Natural Solutions for Fertilizers, Weed Control and Pest
      Control. It is available for purchase right away for just $4.97! Visit the
      Materials For Sale <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/tipsheets/> section
      of the web site and order yours today. The Acrobat PDF will be delivered to
      your e-mail inbox usually within 24 hours of purchase; please allow up to a
      week just in case we are unable to send it when your order is placed or if
      there are technical difficulties.

      Also, the 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as
      Adobe Acrobat PDFs for just $3.97 each. Help HCW programs by purchasing
      these information-packed newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page and
      use the easy Add to Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We
      will e-mail you the PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no
      longer find the online versions of these newsletters.

      Stall Cleaner Value T-shirt <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater.41048289>
      Priced at $11.97
      Take a look at this month¹s featured HCW product. Horses For Clean Water
      "Certified Equine Sanitation Engineer" on left breast. No logo on back. If
      you need a shirt for your favorite guy or kid, browse our CafePress store
      <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater/> and find something that will show
      your support for HCW programs and the environmentally sensitive horsekeeping
      message!

      Message from Alayne: It¹s not my "hobby!"
      Recently I was talking with a non-horsey friend about what we do with our
      horses and our commitment to showing. After a long conversation, my friend
      ended with the comment "that's nice that you have a hobby like that." Click
      here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2006.html#article1> to
      read Alayne's message.

      Grasses, Grazing and Horse Health
      If you missed the King Conservation District's July 18th lecture by Dr. Hank
      Greenwald about the relationship between grasses, pastures and horse health
      we at HCW have tried to capture some of the take-home messages for you, and
      we have added some additional points from other sources to help summarize
      key concepts. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2006.html#article2> to
      read the full article.

      Who Are the Good Guys Anyway?
      Part 2 of a 2 Part Series
      In last month¹s article we introduced you to the idea of Integrated Pest
      Management. In this issue we continue to take a look at pest management by
      examining the natural predators of some common pests. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2006.html#article3> to
      read this month's installment.

      Unwanted Wildlife: Dealing with Close Encounters

      One of the great rewards for living in the Northwest is the beauty and
      abundance of our natural resources and wildlife. However, exploding
      population growth and a decline in prime wildlife habitat can mean unwanted
      or unexpected encounters with our wild neighbors. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2006.html#article4> to
      learn about more ways to deal with the various wildlife challeneges we face..

      Are you a mosquito magnet?
      You¹re flipping burgers for the neighborhood barbecue, and the mosquitoes
      have already begun their feast--on you. As you swat madly at the pests, you
      notice other folks seem completely unfazed. Could it be that mosquitoes
      prefer dining on some humans over others? This article
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2006.html#article5> may
      clear up the mystery.

      Educational Events
      Join HCW staff at these upcoming events this fall. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2006.html#article6> or
      visit the Educational Events page
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
      descriptions.

      Beyond Where the Blacktop Ends
      Saturday, September 16th, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
      Hobart, WA
      FREE!
      Tour the Three Sisters Mule Farm, a private 10-acre equine property that
      lies above Hobart and is surrounded by Seattle's Cedar River Watershed.
      To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation District at
      425-277-5581x125 or <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

      Fall in Place
      Friday, September 22nd, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
      Brush Prairie, WA
      FREE!
      Preparing your horse farm for winter--tips and techniques to help you get a
      jump on winter.
      Join HCW on a pre-winter journey through a checklist and presentation on
      things to do to prepare your farm for those dark, cold, blustery winter
      months!
      Details: Clark Conservation District, 360-883-1987x112.

      The HCW Winter Horse Farm Management Workshop
      Saturday, September 23rd, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
      Brush Prairie, WA
      Join Horses for Clean Water and the Clark Conservation District for a
      workshop on ways to prepare your farm so it will be easier to care for this
      winter with less mud, dust and weeds next summer.
      Cost is $12/person and includes lunch. Please register by September 15, as
      space is limited. Contact the Clark Conservation District at
      360-883-1987x112. Make checks payable to Clark Conservation District and
      mail to: 11104 N.E. 149th St., Bldg. C-400, Brush Prairie, WA 98606.

      Preparing Your Horse Farm for Winter
      Saturday, October 7th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
      Fall City, WA
      FREE!
      Hear and see the why's and how's of spreading compost, winter paddocks,
      managing steep slopes. See sacrifice pens, each for several horses,
      composting bins (which double as a viewing stand for the arena!) and a chore
      efficient layout for all. This property is on the Section 26 equestrian
      property--come learn all about riding in this beautiful park!
      To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation District at
      425-277-5581x125 or <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

      Horse Property and Small Farm Management
      October 20th, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and October 21st, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
      Mary E. Theler Community Center, Belfair, WA
      FREE!
      This FREE two day workshop in north Mason County will teach horse and
      livestock owners the tools for effective mud and manure management.
      Participants can apply for limited cost-share funds to implement certain
      practices and can sign up for comprehensive farm plans. Space is limited and
      pre-registration is required. Contact Karin Strelioff at Mason Conservation
      District 360-427-9436 or <karinls@...> for registration materials
      and additional information.

      Naturescaping on Horse Properties: Controlling Insects, Dust and Mud the
      Natural Way
      Friday, November 3rd, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
      Brush Prairie, WA
      FREE!
      Inviting wildlife to your farm & landscaping with native plants can have
      many wonderful benefits for horse owners including "natural" insect control,
      mud reduction, dust barriers, visual screens between neighbors, cooling of
      buildings, summer shade for horses, low-cost/low care landscaping, and
      entertainment and enjoyment. We will also discuss useful options for
      managing creeks or wetlands on horse properties--as well as low-cost ways to
      buy and plant trees and shrubs.
      Details: Clark Conservation District, 360-883-1987x112.

      The HCW Winter Horse Farm Management Workshop
      Saturday, November 4th, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
      Brush Prairie, WA
      FREE!
      Join Horses for Clean Water and the Clark Conservation District for an
      all-day workshop on ways to prepare your farm so it will be easier to care
      for this winter with less mud, dust and weeds next summer.
      Cost is $12/person and includes lunch. Please register early as space is
      limited. Contact the Clark Conservation District at 360-883-1987x112. Make
      checks payable to Clark Conservation District and mail to: 11104 N.E. 149th
      St., Bldg. C-400, Brush Prairie, WA 98606.

      Willamette Valley Horses and Mud Workshop
      Saturday, November 11th
      Details TBD
      Join Horses for Clean Water and Oregon State University Extension Service
      for an all day workshop in the Willamette Valley on horse farm management.
      For more information contact Melissa Fery, Small Farms Agent, 541-766-3553
      or <Melissa.Fery@...>.

      All Natural Horse Farm!
      Saturday, November 18th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
      Carnation, WA
      FREE!
      Crossing Rivers Ranch is a 21+ acre horse operation. The owner/operator and
      our host for this tour is into many areas of "natural" horse keeping
      including bodywork and natural hoof care. In addition, 3 of the 6 horses on
      the property are PMU horses from the Premarin industry in Canada.
      To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation District at
      425-277-5581x125 or <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

      If you have any questions or would like to submit an article for publication
      in The Green Horse <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/>,
      please e-mail info@....