The Green Horse - December 2005

  • Elizabeth Clark
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2005
      To view this email as a web page, go here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html> .

      The Green Horse
      Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

      December 2005

      The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
      http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
      Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

      This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

      In this issue...
      * Message from Liz: Responsibility
      * Tip of the Month: Emergency and winter storm preparedness
      * Update on Horse 4-Her's for Clean Water
      * Focus on YOUR Farm: The Benjamins
      * HCW Holiday Gift List
      * Educational Events

      Message from Liz: Responsibility
      When Alayne asked me awhile back if I would like to write a message for The
      Green Horse, I said I would be happy to, and I started considering all the
      topics I could write about. I know Alayne wants me to share Buena's story,
      and in a way I will. But adopting Buena is just one of many events that
      occurred in my life this past year, and with each event I have noticed one
      resounding theme echoing over and over again: responsibility. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article1> to
      Read Liz's complete message!

      Tip of the Month: Consider your emergency and winter storm preparedness
      Do you have a flashlight for the house and barn hanging in easy access
      locations? Are extra batteries on hand? How about fuel for generators, the
      outdoor gas grill, cook stoves or lanterns? Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article2> to
      read more about ways to be prepared in case of an emergency.

      Update on Horse 4-Her's for Clean Water
      For the last two years HCW has been working in Snohomish county on a program
      that provides 4-H members with environmentally friendly horsekeeping
      education. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article3> to
      read the latest on the 4-H'ers for Clean Water program.

      Focus on Your Farm: The Benjamins
      This month learn from Karen and Craig Benjamin about how Horses for Clean
      Water helped them with making their Arlington, WA horse property chore
      efficient and healthier for their horses. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article4> to
      read the full article.

      HCW Holiday Gift List
      It isn't always easy to think of gift ideas. If you are like many of us,
      your list may be lengthy--from friends and family to the farrier, vet, farm
      sitter and other horsey professionals in your life. Here at TGH we have
      attempted to put together a list for you of gift ideas that can help with
      shopping and reduce our impact on the environment. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article5> to
      read the complete review.

      Educational Events
      Meet HCW Staff at these upcoming events this winter. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article6> or
      visit the Educational Events page
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
      descriptions.

      Caring for Your Horse and His Home
      A horse care and property management workshop for novice horse owners
      Saturday, January 28th, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
      HCW Demonstration Farm, Maple Valley, WA
      Are you new to horse ownership or do you have children who want a horse? Do
      you know what the regular health, dental and shoeing needs are for horses?
      Would you like to learn about shelters requirements and horse-safe fencing?
      Are you concerned about how to keep your pastures green and what to do with
      the 50 pounds of manure a horse produces daily? Then join HCW for this
      weekend workshop geared for novice horse owners.
      Depending on participants¹ needs topics may include:
      * Understanding horse behavior
      * Horse and handler safety
      * Planning your horse facility
      * Considerations for buying your first horse
      * Costs for owning a horse
      * Nutrition and feeding
      * Vet and farrier care
      * Taking vital signs and emergency preparedness
      * Pasture, manure and mud management
      The workshop will be taught by Alayne Blickle at her demonstration farm in
      Maple Valley using her horses for the hands-on portions. Minimum
      participation is 5, maximum 12.
      To register or for more information: e-mail alayne@...
      or call 425-432-6116.

      The HCW Spring Horse Farm Management Workshop
      Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
      Clark Conservation District Office, Brush Prairie, WA
      Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
      Join HCW near Vancouver, WA (north of Portland, OR) for a full day's
      workshop on mud, manure and pasture management options. Learn great ways to
      reduce mud, compost manure, grow more grass--all while making your horse
      property more productive, healthier for your horse and more chore efficient
      for you!
      Cost: $12 per person which includes lunch and handouts.
      To register or for more information: Contact the Clark Conservation district
      at 360-883-1987x112.

      If you have any questions or would like to submit an article for publication
      in The Green Horse <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/>,
      please e-mail info@....
    • Elizabeth Clark
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
        To view this email as a web page, go here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html> .

        The Green Horse
        Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

        January 2006

        The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
        http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
        Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

        This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

        In this issue...
        * Message from Alayne: Looking Back and Ahead
        * Basic Horse Care Tip of the Month: Shelter
        * Gutters and Downspouts: A Useful Tool on the Farm
        * Go Native!
        * Weed of the Month: English Ivy
        * Educational Events

        Newsflash!

        The 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as Adobe
        Acrobat PDFs. Help HCW programs by purchasing these information-packed
        newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/> and use the easy Add to
        Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We will e-mail you the
        PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no longer find the online
        versions of these newsletters.

        Also, take a look at this month's featured HCW product. This bumper sticker
        will only be available for a limited time! Look for another new design next
        month!
        <http://www.cafepress.com/cp/prod.aspx?p=horsefcwater.40993544>
        It's Easy Being Green Bumper Sticker - $4.97

        Message from Alayne: Looking Back and Ahead
        So much to look forward to and so much to appreciate. I feel so fortunate
        for what I have in life: Matt, my horses, my farm, my family and friends,
        Horses for Clean Water, all of you, the great Northwest to live in...the
        list goes on and on. As many of you know, a huge milestone for me in 2005
        was the trip I made to Portugal in November with three horsey friends. Click
        here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article1> to
        read the first in a series of articles detailing some of the highlights of
        my trip.

        Basic Horse Care Tip of the Month: Shelter
        Over the course of this year we will be highlighting some of the basic
        requirements for owning and caring for an adult horse.
        A horse needs shelter and protection from the heat, driving rain and severe
        cold. Read the complete tip
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article2> for
        more information.

        Gutters and Downspouts: A Useful Tool on the Farm
        Not many of us think of gutters and downspouts when we want to get rid of
        the mud that seems to grow on horse farms. Yet installing and maintaining a
        good roof runoff system may be the most important mud management technique
        that you could use on your horse farm.  Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article3> to
        learn more.

        Go Native!
        This is the time of year when many county conservation districts hold their
        native plant sales--don't miss your opportunity! Read this article to learn
        some of the reasons why natives are such a great addition to any horse farm
        and get a list of upcoming native plant sales in counties throughout
        Washington state. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article4> to
        read the full article.

        Weed of the Month: English Ivy (Hedera helix)
        English Ivy used to be recommended as a lawn substitute and shade-tolerant
        groundcover because it will survive almost anything and spreads easily on
        its own. However, there has been a growing awareness of the harm this ivy
        can cause, climbing trees and weakening them to the point that they can
        become a serious danger. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article5> to
        read more.

        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article6> or
[...]

        The Good, The Bad and The Bugly
        Tuesday, February 28th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Preston, WA
        Join WSU Extension entomologist Todd Murray for an entertaining and
        educational look at the critters that bug us on our livestock farms. Learn
        about beneficial insects--like the ones that make composting possible--as
        well as the insects we'd rather not have around. Find out who’s friend
        and who’s foe, cut back on pesticide use and beef up your manure
        management plans! FREE! To register and receive a map contact the King
        Conservation District at 425-277-5581x125 or Roseanne.Campagna@....

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
          To view this email as a web page, go here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html> .

          The Green Horse
          Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

          February 2006

          The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
          http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
          Published on the 10th of each month by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses
          for Clean Water

          This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

          In this issue...
          * Message from Alayne: Golega
          * Snohomish Conservation District Partnership Award
          * Living With Elk
          * Farm Focus: Hupprich Acres on Tiger Mountain
          * Educational Events

          Newsflash!

          The 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as Adobe
          Acrobat PDFs. Help HCW programs by purchasing these information-packed
          newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/> and use the easy Add to
          Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We will e-mail you the
          PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no longer find the online
          versions of these newsletters.

          Also, take a look at this month's featured HCW product. This bumper sticker
          will only be available for a limited time! Look for another new design next
          month!
          <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater.40993544>
          BioDiesel Bumper Sticker - $4.97

          Message from Alayne: Golega
          As promised last month, Alayne shares more highlights of her trip to
          Portugal last November. This is an account of her experiences in Golega at
          the Lusitano Horse Fair, a fair that has been celebrated for hundreds of
          years and was aptly described to us as the "Horse Mardi Gras of Portugal!"
          Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article1> to
          read all about it and see photos.

          HCW Receives Award from the Snohomish Conservation District
          Alayne Blickle and HCW receive the Snohomish Conservation District's
          Partnership Award for "being an outstanding partner to the staff,
          supervisors and cooperators of SCD." Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article2> for
          complete details.

          Living With Elk
          If you are one of the lucky few (or unlucky, depending on your viewpoint)
          that have elk roaming your neighborhood, you may have concerns about whether
          you can both happily co-exist. Elk can be beautiful to observe but also very
          damaging to young trees and crops. However, with a little planning the
          answer is yes, we can coexist! Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article3> to
          learn more about elk as well as does and for living with elk.

          Farm Focus: Hupprich Acres on Tiger Mountain
          Janet Hupprich's barn-building journey began after she boarded her horses at
          three different barns in two years and was never satisfied with the
          conditions. As she began looking for the fourth spot, she decided it was
          finally time to build her own barn. Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article4> to
          learn all about this month¹s beautiful and environmentally friendly featured
          farm, which is on Tiger Mountain in Issaquah, WA.

          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article5> or
          visit the Educational Events page
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
          descriptions.

          Workshops for Livestock Owners
          Thursdays, February 16th to March 9th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Preston, WA
          Is your horse up to its belly in mud? Would you like to find way to get rid
          of mosquito habitat? Or learn how to compost manure and set up a rotational
          grazing system for your pastures? Join the King Conservation District to
          learn ways to make life better for you and your horses as well as making
          your property more productive this coming summer.
          Topics:
          * February 16th - Streams and Wetlands: Living with Livestock near Water
          * February 23rd - Mud Management: Record Rainfall / Record Mud with Alayne
          Blickle as a guest speaker
          * March 2nd - Manure Management: Got Livestock? Got Manure! with Alayne
          Blickle as a guest speaker
          * March 9th - Pasture Management: Becoming a Grass Farmer
          Registration is through the King Conservation District at 425-277-5581x120
          or e-mail <brandy.reed@...>. Class size is limited so please call to
          register or for more information.

          The Good, The Bad and The Bugly
          Tuesday, February 28th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Preston, WA
          Join WSU Extension entomologist Todd Murray for an entertaining and
          educational look at the critters that bug us on our livestock farms. Learn
          about beneficial insects--like the ones that make composting possible--as
          well as the insects we'd rather not have around. Find out who's friend
          and who's foe, cut back on pesticide use and beef up your manure
          management plans! FREE! To register and receive a map contact the King
          Conservation District at 425-277-5581x125 or e-mail
          <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

          The HCW Spring Horse Farm Management Workshop
          Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
          Clark Conservation District Office, Brush Prairie, WA
          Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
          Join HCW near Vancouver, WA (north of Portland, OR) for a full day's
          workshop on mud, manure and pasture management options. Learn great ways to
          reduce mud, compost manure, grow more grass--all while making your horse
          property more productive, healthier for your horse and more chore efficient
          for you!
          Cost: $12 per person which includes lunch and handouts.
          To register or for more information: Contact the Clark Conservation district
          at 360-883-1987x112.

          Snohomish Horse 4-H'ers for Clean Water presents the Train the Trainer
          Workshop
          Saturday, March 25th, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Everett, WA
          Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
          Join HCW and fellow 4-H'ers for a workshop to help you make the most of the
          new 4-H'ers for Clean Water materials and program. Prior participation in
          HCW events is required. The workshop is open to 4-H leaders and club
          members, 8th grade and above. FREE!
          For more details or to register call 425-432-6116 or e-mail
          <alayne@...>.

          Horsekeeping on Small Acreage
          Saturday, April 29th, Innsbrook Conference Center, Wright City, MO
          HCW will be in the St. Louis, Missouri area help you learn about ways to
          manage horses on small properties that work for you, your horses, the
          community and the environment. Learn techniques for reducing mud, managing
          manure and making your farm chore efficient.
          Cost and details TBD. For details or registration please call
          636-456-3434x3.

          Naturescaping on Horse Properties: Controlling Insects, Dust and Mud the
          Natural Way
          Sunday, May 7th, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
          Cedar River Watershed Education Center, North Bend, WA
          Inviting wildlife to your farm and landscaping with native plants can have
          many wonderful benefits for horse owners including "natural" insect control,
          mud reduction, dust barriers, visual screens between neighbors, cooling of
          buildings, summer shade for horses, low-cost/low care landscaping, and
          entertainment and enjoyment. We will also discuss useful options for
          managing creeks or wetlands on horse properties.
          Please call 206-233-1515 or e-mail <crwprograms@...> for details and
          registration.

          Get Your Horse Property Ready for Summer!
          Saturday, May 20th, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Brush Prairie, WA
          With spring just around the corner now is the time to prepare your horse
          property for productive pastures, less flies, and more chore efficiency!
          This workshop will provide ideas on how to make horse properties healthier
          for horses and easier to care for--reduce mud, compost manure, grow more
          grass! This workshop will be useful for both non-commercial and commercial
          horse owners, as well as for those new to horsekeeping.
          For cost and details contact the Clark Conservation district at

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
            To view this email as a web page, go here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html> .

            The Green Horse
            Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

            March 2006

            The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
            http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
            Published on the 10th of each month by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses
            for Clean Water

            This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

            In this issue...
            * Message from Alayne: Reiner Turns Dressage Rider
            * Spring Cleaning Tips: Getting Ready for a Busy Season
            * March Issue of Horse & Rider Magazine
            * Building an All-Weather Arena (Part 1)
            * Educational Events

            Newsflash!

            The 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as Adobe
            Acrobat PDFs for just $3.97 each. Help HCW programs by purchasing these
            information-packed newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/> and use the easy Add to
            Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We will e-mail you the
            PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no longer find the online
            versions of these newsletters.

            Also, take a look at this month's featured HCW product. This bumper sticker
            will only be available for a limited time! Look for another new design soon!
            <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater.40993544>
            BioDiesel Bumper Sticker - $4.97

            Message from Alayne: Reiner Turns Dressage Rider (For a Week!)
            "I've always felt that dressage is like the trunk of the tree--the base from
            which most other disciplines branched, much like Latin is the base for so
            many other languages. As promised, this month I share more highlights from
            my November 2005 Portugal trip." Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article1> to
            read all about it and see photos.

            Spring Cleaning Tips: Getting Ready for a Busy Season
            Spring is just around the corner, which means now is the time to get things
            done around your farm! In this article we'll give you a quick and easy
            checklist so you're prepared for the coming growing season. Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article2> to
            read the full article.

            March Issue of Horse & Rider Magazine
            If you have a chance to pick up the March issue of Horse & Rider magazine
            take a look at "Mud Wrestling" with Alayne Blickle as a source for the
            article and photos. Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article3> for
            more information.

            Building an All-Weather Arena (Part 1)
            Stuck inside looking out at wet trails, slippery slopes and soggy ground?
            Horses getting fat? Want to build a safe outdoor area to ride in but wonder
            how to do it and how much will it cost? In this two-part series we'll take a
            look at the issues to consider when planning an outdoor arena, as well as
            the nitty-gritty details for getting it done. Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article4> to
            read part one.

            Educational Events

            New topics! Find out what HCW events will be in your neighborhood as HCW
            goes international! Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article5> or
            visit the Educational Events page
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
            descriptions.

            The HCW Spring Horse Farm Management Workshop
            Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
            Clark Conservation District Office, Brush Prairie, WA
            Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
            Join HCW near Vancouver, WA (north of Portland, OR) for a full day's
            workshop on mud, manure and pasture management options.
            Cost: $12 per person. Will include lunch and handouts.
            To register or for more information: Contact the Clark Conservation district
            at 360-883-1987x112. Accepted ONLY until March 13th. Checks payable to Clark
            Conservation District and mailed to: 11104 N.E. 149th St., Bldg C-400, Brush
            Prairie, WA 98606.

            Snohomish Horse 4-H'ers for Clean Water presents the Train the Trainer
            Workshop
            Saturday, March 25th, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Everett, WA
            Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
            Join HCW and fellow 4-H'ers for a workshop to help you make the most of the
            new 4-H'ers for Clean Water materials and program. Prior participation in
            HCW events is required. The workshop is open to 4-H leaders and club
            members, 8th grade and above. FREE!
            For more details or to register call 425-432-6116 or e-mail
            <alayne@...>.

            The Healthy Happy Horses Workshop on Mud and Manure Management
            Saturday, April 22nd, Peace River Agricultural Society Fairgrounds
            Alayne Blickle will be the featured speaker at this workshop. Topics: Mud,
            Paddocks and Horses, Great Ways to Grow More Pasture, and Natural Ways to
            Control Mud, Dust and Bugs. Other speakers include an equine veterinarian
            presenting on equine health and a representative from the province¹s
            department of agriculture.
            Pre-registration by April 10th is CDN$10, CDN$15 at the door. Details or
            registration: 780-835-4903 or 780-624-8846.

            Horsekeeping on Small Acreage
            Friday, April 28th, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
            and
            Saturday, April 29th, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
            Warrenton Extension Center, Warrenton, MO
            HCW will be in the St. Louis, Missouri area to help you learn about ways to
            manage horses on small properties that work for you, your horses, the
            community and the environment. Learn techniques for reducing mud, managing
            manure and making your farm chore efficient.
            Friday, April 28th
            Composting and Manure Management for Horse Owners
            Saturday, April 29th
            Shopping for Horse Property
            Pasture Management and Basic Farm Equipment
            Six Easy Steps for Eliminating Mud
            Natural Ways to Control Mud, Dust, and Bugs on Horse Properties
            Refreshments Friday evening and lunch Saturday provided. Registration by
            April 26th at 636-456-3434x3 or e-mail.

            Naturescaping on Horse Properties: Controlling Insects, Dust and Mud the
            Natural Way
            Sunday, May 7th, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
            Cedar River Watershed Education Center, North Bend, WA
            Inviting wildlife to your farm and landscaping with native plants can have
            many wonderful benefits for horse owners including "natural" insect control,
            mud reduction, dust barriers, visual screens between neighbors, cooling of
            buildings, summer shade for horses, low-cost/low care landscaping, and
            entertainment and enjoyment. We will also discuss useful options for
            managing creeks or wetlands on horse properties.
            Please call 206-233-1515 or e-mail <crwprograms@...> for details and
            registration.

            Animal Grazing Behavior: Understanding and Managing Livestock, Wildlife,
            Plants, Soils and People
            May 9th, 10th and 11th, Enumclaw, WA
            This 2 1/2 day workshop, presented by world class animal behavior specialist
            Dr. Fred Provenza of Utah State University, will explore the relationships
            among soils, plants, herbivores, people, and ecosystems and focus on how
            behavior influences food and habitat selection. For more information on Dr
            Provenza¹s work visit <http://www.behave.net/>. The information presented
            will have immediate applications for cattle and sheep producers, dairy
            farmers, wildlife biologists, horse owners, hay producers and others working
            with grazing issues, animal re-introductions, or foraging behavior of any
            kind.
            For details or more information: 425-432-6116 or e-mail
            <alayne@...>.
            Registration for both events: King Conservation District at 425-277-5581x125
            or e-mail <alayne@...>.
            FREE PUBLIC LECTURE on this topic: Monday, May 8th, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
            Carco Theatre, Renton, WA

            Shopping for Horse Property: How to Select a Suitable Site
            Friday, May 19th, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Brush Prairie, WA
            Many things go into selecting a suitable horse property‹beyond the barn and
            arena. Join HCW in this presentation to discuss soils, vegetation, drainage
            and many other considerations that can save you frustrations, heartache and
            lots of money down the road.
            Details: Clark Conservation District, 360-883-1987x112.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
              To view this email as a web page, go here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html> .

              The Green Horse
              Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

              April 2006

              The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
              http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
              Published on the 10th of each month by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses
              for Clean Water

              This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

              In this issue...
              * This Month's Message: Letting Go
              * Building an All-Weather Arena (Part 2)
              * Spring Pasture Management Tips
              * Special Message From Alayne: BEHAVE Workshop
              * Reader's Tip
              * Educational Events

              Newsflash!

              The 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as Adobe
              Acrobat PDFs for just $3.97 each. Help HCW programs by purchasing these
              information-packed newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/> and use the easy Add to
              Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We will e-mail you the
              PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no longer find the online
              versions of these newsletters.

              Stall Cleaner Shirts
              Priced from $9.97 to 11.97
              Take a look at this month's featured HCW product. Get a shirt for your
              favorite "Equine Sanitation Enigneer." Browse our CafePress store and find
              something that will treat your favorite stall cleaner with the much-deserved
              importance that this title suggests. After all, if they look good and have
              pride in their work, your farm will reap the benefits of the hard work they
              do for you and your horses!
              <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater/>

              This Month's Message: Letting Go
              This month I thought I'd share with you the reflections of my friend, Polly
              Klein, of what it's like to find a new home for her horse, in her article
              called "Letting Go." Polly's horse, Arrow, had a special place with us:
              Polly boarded Arrow with us and as such, he was a Horses for Clean Water
              horse and the subject of many photos you've seen in HCW materials. Click
              here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article1> to
              read Polly's message.

              Building an All-Weather Arena (Part 2)
              This is the second article in a two-part series on building an outdoor
              arena. This month learn about choosing a contractor, permits, slope and
              drainage, the subbase, the base, the surface--and more! Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article2> to
              read the full article.

              Spring Pasture Management Tips
              It¹s that time of year again when the grass gets greener and grows fast! But
              is it time to let your horses begin grazing on the pastures you¹ve carefully
              fenced off all winter? Putting horses out too soon can reduce the
              productivity of your pastures this summer and letting your horses graze too
              much can be dangerous to horse health. HCW answers several questions on how
              to begin spring pasture management. Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article3> for
              more information.

              Special Message From Alayne: BEHAVE Workshop
              In this special note from Alayne learn about world-class animal behavior
              specialist, Dr. Fred Provenza of Utah State University, coming to Western
              Washington May 8th to the 11th. Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article4> to
              read the details.

              Reader's Tip
              Read a chore-efficiency tip from reader Kent Wiles of Clatskanie, OR. Click
              here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article4> to
              read Kent's tip.

              Educational Events
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article6> or
              visit the Educational Events page
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
              descriptions.

              The Healthy Happy Horses Workshop on Mud and Manure Management
              Saturday, April 22nd, Peace River Agricultural Society Fairgrounds
              Matt Livengood will be the featured speaker at this workshop. Topics: Mud,
[...]

              All Day Workshop
              Saturday, June 10th
              Bear Creek Equestrian Center, Winthrop, WA
              Join HCW in beautiful Winthrop, WA. This all day workshop will focus on
              manure management options for horse owners as well as natural ways to
              control mud, dust and bugs.
              For registration and pricing info: Bear Creek Equestrian Center, 93 Lower
              Bear Creek Rd., Winthrop, WA, e-mail
              <bearcreekequestriancenter@...> or call 509-996-3727.

              Two Sisters Dairy Farm Tour
              Tuesday, June 27th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
              Carnation, WA
              Have you ever met dairy cows with names instead of numbers? Tour Two Sisters
              Dairy for a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into making milk.
              Pre-registration is required as participation is limited. Contact King
              Conservation District at 425-277-5581x125 or e-mail
              <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

              Good-bye to the Fly!
              Wednesday, June 7th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
              Preston, WA
              FREE!
              Join WSU Extension horticulturalist and entomologist Todd Murray for an
              entertaining and educational look at the summertime critters that bug our
              horses, livestock and us--flies and mosquitoes!