The Green Horse - November 2005

  • Elizabeth Clark
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
      To view this email as a web page, go here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2005.html> .

      The Green Horse
      Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

      November 2005

      The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
      http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
      Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

      This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

      In this issue...
      * Message from Alayne: Bon Voyage
      * Weed of the Month: Blackberries
      * Tip of the Month: Automatic Waterers
      * Focus on Your Farm: Beyond Paradise Farm
      * Book Review: An Accidental Cowboy
      * Educational Events

      Message from Alayne: Bon Voyage
      By the time you read this I will be in Portugal...and let me tell you why.
      While I hate like heck to admit my age to anyone, this year I passed a
      milestone birthday‹the big FIVE-OH! I started thinking about this upcoming
      event a few years ago and decided I should do something monumental to mark
      the occasion. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2005.html#article1> to
      read more about Alayne's trip to Portugal!

      Weed of the Month: Blackberries
      Blackberry article: If you read Ciscoe Morris's recent article in the
      Seattle P-I on the new blackberry leaf rust or perhaps noticed articles from
      Oregon earlier this summer, you are aware we may be seeing more diseased and
      dying blackberries in our region. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2005.html#article2> to
      read more about how this new rust is different from those already present in
      our area and why it appears to be much more destructive.

      Tip of the Month: Automatic Waterers
      Set up a water supply that won't freeze or get icy cold - before those North
      winds blow! Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2005.html#article3> to
      read the complete tip.

      Focus on Your Farm: Beyond Paradise Farm
      This month's Farm Focus is written by farm-owners Mike and Adriana
      Kostersitz. Mike and Adriana recently attended several Horses for Clean
      Water events and, with the help of their local conservation district,
      they've made some big changes! Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2005.html#article4> to
      read the full article.

      Book Review: An Accidental Cowboy by Jameson Parker
      It's that time of year again. Time to snuggle up with a good book, and
      perhaps a cat in your lap or a dog at your feet. This month I am
      recommending a nice memoir by Jameson Parker (from the 80s television show
      Simon And Simon). Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2005.html#article5> to
      read the complete review.

      Educational Events

      Meet HCW Staff at these upcoming events this winter. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/11_2005.html#article6> or
      visit the Educational Events page
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
      descriptions.

      Port Hadlock, WA
      Naturescaping for Horse Farms
      Thursday, December 8th, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
      Shold Business Park, WSU Learning Center, Spruce Room, Port Hadlock, WA
      FREE! Pre-registration is encouraged but drop-ins are welcome. E-mail or
      call 360-385-4105.

      Caring for Your Horse and His Home
      A horse care and property management workshop for novice horse owners
      Saturday, January 28th, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
      HCW Demonstration Farm, Maple Valley, WA
      Are you new to horse ownership or do you have children who want a horse? Do
      you know what the regular health, dental and shoeing needs are for horses?
      Would you like to learn about shelters requirements and horse-safe fencing?
      Are you concerned about how to keep your pastures green and what to do with
      the 50 pounds of manure a horse produces daily? Then join HCW for this
      weekend workshop geared for novice horse owners.
      Depending on participants¹ needs topics may include:
      * Understanding horse behavior
      * Horse and handler safety
      * Planning your horse facility
      * Considerations for buying your first horse
      * Costs for owning a horse
      * Nutrition and feeding
      * Vet and farrier care
      * Taking vital signs and emergency preparedness
      * Pasture, manure and mud management
      The workshop will be taught by Alayne Blickle at her demonstration farm in
      Maple Valley using her horses for the hands-on portions. The goal for the
      class will be to provide you with an introduction to the components of good
      horse management and the resources and professionals available to you as a
      horse owner. The cost for the workshop is $125/person for those who register
      before January 20th, $175 for late registration. Materials provided include
      Horses for Clean Water manual ($25 value), educational handouts on topics
      covered as well as a certificate of course completion.
      Hot drinks and light refreshments will be provided. Bring a sack lunch and
      dress warmly as parts of the day will be held outside.
      Minimum participation is 5, maximum 12.
      To register or for more information: e-mail alayne@...
      or call 425-432-6116.

      If you have any questions or would like to submit an article for publication
      in The Green Horse <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/>,
      please e-mail info@....
    • Elizabeth Clark
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2005
        To view this email as a web page, go here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html> .

        The Green Horse
        Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

        December 2005

        The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
        http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
        Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

        This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

        In this issue...
        * Message from Liz: Responsibility
        * Tip of the Month: Emergency and winter storm preparedness
        * Update on Horse 4-Her's for Clean Water
        * Focus on YOUR Farm: The Benjamins
        * HCW Holiday Gift List
        * Educational Events

        Message from Liz: Responsibility
        When Alayne asked me awhile back if I would like to write a message for The
        Green Horse, I said I would be happy to, and I started considering all the
        topics I could write about. I know Alayne wants me to share Buena's story,
        and in a way I will. But adopting Buena is just one of many events that
        occurred in my life this past year, and with each event I have noticed one
        resounding theme echoing over and over again: responsibility. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article1> to
        Read Liz's complete message!

        Tip of the Month: Consider your emergency and winter storm preparedness
        Do you have a flashlight for the house and barn hanging in easy access
        locations? Are extra batteries on hand? How about fuel for generators, the
        outdoor gas grill, cook stoves or lanterns? Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article2> to
        read more about ways to be prepared in case of an emergency.

        Update on Horse 4-Her's for Clean Water
        For the last two years HCW has been working in Snohomish county on a program
        that provides 4-H members with environmentally friendly horsekeeping
        education. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article3> to
        read the latest on the 4-H'ers for Clean Water program.

        Focus on Your Farm: The Benjamins
        This month learn from Karen and Craig Benjamin about how Horses for Clean
        Water helped them with making their Arlington, WA horse property chore
        efficient and healthier for their horses. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article4> to
        read the full article.

        HCW Holiday Gift List
        It isn't always easy to think of gift ideas. If you are like many of us,
        your list may be lengthy--from friends and family to the farrier, vet, farm
        sitter and other horsey professionals in your life. Here at TGH we have
        attempted to put together a list for you of gift ideas that can help with
        shopping and reduce our impact on the environment. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article5> to

        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article6> or
[...]

        Maple Valley using her horses for the hands-on portions. Minimum
        participation is 5, maximum 12.
        To register or for more information: e-mail alayne@...
        or call 425-432-6116.

        The HCW Spring Horse Farm Management Workshop
        Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
        Clark Conservation District Office, Brush Prairie, WA
        Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
        Join HCW near Vancouver, WA (north of Portland, OR) for a full day's
        workshop on mud, manure and pasture management options. Learn great ways to
        reduce mud, compost manure, grow more grass--all while making your horse
        property more productive, healthier for your horse and more chore efficient
        for you!
        Cost: $12 per person which includes lunch and handouts.
        To register or for more information: Contact the Clark Conservation district
        at 360-883-1987x112.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
          To view this email as a web page, go here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html> .

          The Green Horse
          Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

          January 2006

          The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
          http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
          Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

          This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

          In this issue...
          * Message from Alayne: Looking Back and Ahead
          * Basic Horse Care Tip of the Month: Shelter
          * Gutters and Downspouts: A Useful Tool on the Farm
          * Go Native!
          * Weed of the Month: English Ivy
          * Educational Events

          Newsflash!

          The 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as Adobe
          Acrobat PDFs. Help HCW programs by purchasing these information-packed
          newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/> and use the easy Add to
          Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We will e-mail you the
          PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no longer find the online
          versions of these newsletters.

          Also, take a look at this month's featured HCW product. This bumper sticker
          will only be available for a limited time! Look for another new design next
          month!
          <http://www.cafepress.com/cp/prod.aspx?p=horsefcwater.40993544>
          It's Easy Being Green Bumper Sticker - $4.97

          Message from Alayne: Looking Back and Ahead
          So much to look forward to and so much to appreciate. I feel so fortunate
          for what I have in life: Matt, my horses, my farm, my family and friends,
          Horses for Clean Water, all of you, the great Northwest to live in...the
          list goes on and on. As many of you know, a huge milestone for me in 2005
          was the trip I made to Portugal in November with three horsey friends. Click
          here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article1> to
          read the first in a series of articles detailing some of the highlights of
          my trip.

          Basic Horse Care Tip of the Month: Shelter
          Over the course of this year we will be highlighting some of the basic
          requirements for owning and caring for an adult horse.
          A horse needs shelter and protection from the heat, driving rain and severe
          cold. Read the complete tip
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article2> for
          more information.

          Gutters and Downspouts: A Useful Tool on the Farm
          Not many of us think of gutters and downspouts when we want to get rid of
          the mud that seems to grow on horse farms. Yet installing and maintaining a
          good roof runoff system may be the most important mud management technique
          that you could use on your horse farm.  Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article3> to
          learn more.

          Go Native!
          This is the time of year when many county conservation districts hold their
          native plant sales--don't miss your opportunity! Read this article to learn
          some of the reasons why natives are such a great addition to any horse farm
          and get a list of upcoming native plant sales in counties throughout
          Washington state. Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article4> to
          read the full article.

          Weed of the Month: English Ivy (Hedera helix)
          English Ivy used to be recommended as a lawn substitute and shade-tolerant
          groundcover because it will survive almost anything and spreads easily on
          its own. However, there has been a growing awareness of the harm this ivy
          can cause, climbing trees and weakening them to the point that they can
          become a serious danger. Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/12_2005.html#article5> to
          read more.

          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2006.html#article6> or
[...]

          The Good, The Bad and The Bugly
          Tuesday, February 28th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Preston, WA
          Join WSU Extension entomologist Todd Murray for an entertaining and
          educational look at the critters that bug us on our livestock farms. Learn
          about beneficial insects--like the ones that make composting possible--as
          well as the insects we'd rather not have around. Find out who’s friend
          and who’s foe, cut back on pesticide use and beef up your manure
          management plans! FREE! To register and receive a map contact the King
          Conservation District at 425-277-5581x125 or Roseanne.Campagna@....

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
            To view this email as a web page, go here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html> .

            The Green Horse
            Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

            February 2006

            The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
            http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
            Published on the 10th of each month by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses
            for Clean Water

            This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

            In this issue...
            * Message from Alayne: Golega
            * Snohomish Conservation District Partnership Award
            * Living With Elk
            * Farm Focus: Hupprich Acres on Tiger Mountain
            * Educational Events

            Newsflash!

            The 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as Adobe
            Acrobat PDFs. Help HCW programs by purchasing these information-packed
            newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/> and use the easy Add to
            Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We will e-mail you the
            PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no longer find the online
            versions of these newsletters.

            Also, take a look at this month's featured HCW product. This bumper sticker
            will only be available for a limited time! Look for another new design next
            month!
            <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater.40993544>
            BioDiesel Bumper Sticker - $4.97

            Message from Alayne: Golega
            As promised last month, Alayne shares more highlights of her trip to
            Portugal last November. This is an account of her experiences in Golega at
            the Lusitano Horse Fair, a fair that has been celebrated for hundreds of
            years and was aptly described to us as the "Horse Mardi Gras of Portugal!"
            Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article1> to
            read all about it and see photos.

            HCW Receives Award from the Snohomish Conservation District
            Alayne Blickle and HCW receive the Snohomish Conservation District's
            Partnership Award for "being an outstanding partner to the staff,
            supervisors and cooperators of SCD." Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article2> for
            complete details.

            Living With Elk
            If you are one of the lucky few (or unlucky, depending on your viewpoint)
            that have elk roaming your neighborhood, you may have concerns about whether
            you can both happily co-exist. Elk can be beautiful to observe but also very
            damaging to young trees and crops. However, with a little planning the
            answer is yes, we can coexist! Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article3> to
            learn more about elk as well as does and for living with elk.

            Farm Focus: Hupprich Acres on Tiger Mountain
            Janet Hupprich's barn-building journey began after she boarded her horses at
            three different barns in two years and was never satisfied with the
            conditions. As she began looking for the fourth spot, she decided it was
            finally time to build her own barn. Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article4> to
            learn all about this month¹s beautiful and environmentally friendly featured
            farm, which is on Tiger Mountain in Issaquah, WA.

            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2006.html#article5> or
            visit the Educational Events page
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
            descriptions.

            Workshops for Livestock Owners
            Thursdays, February 16th to March 9th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Preston, WA
            Is your horse up to its belly in mud? Would you like to find way to get rid
            of mosquito habitat? Or learn how to compost manure and set up a rotational
            grazing system for your pastures? Join the King Conservation District to
            learn ways to make life better for you and your horses as well as making
            your property more productive this coming summer.
            Topics:
            * February 16th - Streams and Wetlands: Living with Livestock near Water
            * February 23rd - Mud Management: Record Rainfall / Record Mud with Alayne
            Blickle as a guest speaker
            * March 2nd - Manure Management: Got Livestock? Got Manure! with Alayne
            Blickle as a guest speaker
            * March 9th - Pasture Management: Becoming a Grass Farmer
            Registration is through the King Conservation District at 425-277-5581x120
            or e-mail <brandy.reed@...>. Class size is limited so please call to
            register or for more information.

            The Good, The Bad and The Bugly
            Tuesday, February 28th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Preston, WA
            Join WSU Extension entomologist Todd Murray for an entertaining and
            educational look at the critters that bug us on our livestock farms. Learn
            about beneficial insects--like the ones that make composting possible--as
            well as the insects we'd rather not have around. Find out who's friend
            and who's foe, cut back on pesticide use and beef up your manure
            management plans! FREE! To register and receive a map contact the King
            Conservation District at 425-277-5581x125 or e-mail
            <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

            The HCW Spring Horse Farm Management Workshop
            Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
            Clark Conservation District Office, Brush Prairie, WA
            Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
            Join HCW near Vancouver, WA (north of Portland, OR) for a full day's
            workshop on mud, manure and pasture management options. Learn great ways to
            reduce mud, compost manure, grow more grass--all while making your horse
            property more productive, healthier for your horse and more chore efficient
            for you!
            Cost: $12 per person which includes lunch and handouts.
            To register or for more information: Contact the Clark Conservation district
            at 360-883-1987x112.

            Snohomish Horse 4-H'ers for Clean Water presents the Train the Trainer
            Workshop
            Saturday, March 25th, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Everett, WA
            Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
            Join HCW and fellow 4-H'ers for a workshop to help you make the most of the
            new 4-H'ers for Clean Water materials and program. Prior participation in
            HCW events is required. The workshop is open to 4-H leaders and club
            members, 8th grade and above. FREE!
            For more details or to register call 425-432-6116 or e-mail
            <alayne@...>.

            Horsekeeping on Small Acreage
            Saturday, April 29th, Innsbrook Conference Center, Wright City, MO
            HCW will be in the St. Louis, Missouri area help you learn about ways to
            manage horses on small properties that work for you, your horses, the
            community and the environment. Learn techniques for reducing mud, managing
            manure and making your farm chore efficient.
            Cost and details TBD. For details or registration please call
            636-456-3434x3.

            Naturescaping on Horse Properties: Controlling Insects, Dust and Mud the
            Natural Way
            Sunday, May 7th, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
            Cedar River Watershed Education Center, North Bend, WA
            Inviting wildlife to your farm and landscaping with native plants can have
            many wonderful benefits for horse owners including "natural" insect control,
            mud reduction, dust barriers, visual screens between neighbors, cooling of
            buildings, summer shade for horses, low-cost/low care landscaping, and
            entertainment and enjoyment. We will also discuss useful options for
            managing creeks or wetlands on horse properties.
            Please call 206-233-1515 or e-mail <crwprograms@...> for details and
            registration.

            Get Your Horse Property Ready for Summer!
            Saturday, May 20th, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Brush Prairie, WA
            With spring just around the corner now is the time to prepare your horse
            property for productive pastures, less flies, and more chore efficiency!
            This workshop will provide ideas on how to make horse properties healthier
            for horses and easier to care for--reduce mud, compost manure, grow more
            grass! This workshop will be useful for both non-commercial and commercial
            horse owners, as well as for those new to horsekeeping.
            For cost and details contact the Clark Conservation district at
            360-883-1987x112.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
              To view this email as a web page, go here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html> .

              The Green Horse
              Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

              March 2006

              The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
              http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
              Published on the 10th of each month by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses
              for Clean Water

              This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

              In this issue...
              * Message from Alayne: Reiner Turns Dressage Rider
              * Spring Cleaning Tips: Getting Ready for a Busy Season
              * March Issue of Horse & Rider Magazine
              * Building an All-Weather Arena (Part 1)
              * Educational Events

              Newsflash!

              The 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as Adobe
              Acrobat PDFs for just $3.97 each. Help HCW programs by purchasing these
              information-packed newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/> and use the easy Add to
              Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We will e-mail you the
              PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no longer find the online
              versions of these newsletters.

              Also, take a look at this month's featured HCW product. This bumper sticker
              will only be available for a limited time! Look for another new design soon!
              <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater.40993544>
              BioDiesel Bumper Sticker - $4.97

              Message from Alayne: Reiner Turns Dressage Rider (For a Week!)
              "I've always felt that dressage is like the trunk of the tree--the base from
              which most other disciplines branched, much like Latin is the base for so
              many other languages. As promised, this month I share more highlights from
              my November 2005 Portugal trip." Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article1> to
              read all about it and see photos.

              Spring Cleaning Tips: Getting Ready for a Busy Season
              Spring is just around the corner, which means now is the time to get things
              done around your farm! In this article we'll give you a quick and easy
              checklist so you're prepared for the coming growing season. Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article2> to
              read the full article.

              March Issue of Horse & Rider Magazine
              If you have a chance to pick up the March issue of Horse & Rider magazine
              take a look at "Mud Wrestling" with Alayne Blickle as a source for the
              article and photos. Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article3> for
              more information.

              Building an All-Weather Arena (Part 1)
              Stuck inside looking out at wet trails, slippery slopes and soggy ground?
              Horses getting fat? Want to build a safe outdoor area to ride in but wonder
              how to do it and how much will it cost? In this two-part series we'll take a
              look at the issues to consider when planning an outdoor arena, as well as
              the nitty-gritty details for getting it done. Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article4> to
              read part one.

              Educational Events

              New topics! Find out what HCW events will be in your neighborhood as HCW
              goes international! Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2006.html#article5> or
              visit the Educational Events page
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
              descriptions.

              The HCW Spring Horse Farm Management Workshop
              Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
              Clark Conservation District Office, Brush Prairie, WA
              Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
              Join HCW near Vancouver, WA (north of Portland, OR) for a full day's
              workshop on mud, manure and pasture management options.
              Cost: $12 per person. Will include lunch and handouts.
              To register or for more information: Contact the Clark Conservation district
              at 360-883-1987x112. Accepted ONLY until March 13th. Checks payable to Clark
              Conservation District and mailed to: 11104 N.E. 149th St., Bldg C-400, Brush
              Prairie, WA 98606.

              Snohomish Horse 4-H'ers for Clean Water presents the Train the Trainer
              Workshop
              Saturday, March 25th, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Everett, WA
              Goodbye to Mud, Bugs and Weeds!
              Join HCW and fellow 4-H'ers for a workshop to help you make the most of the
              new 4-H'ers for Clean Water materials and program. Prior participation in
              HCW events is required. The workshop is open to 4-H leaders and club
              members, 8th grade and above. FREE!
              For more details or to register call 425-432-6116 or e-mail
              <alayne@...>.

              The Healthy Happy Horses Workshop on Mud and Manure Management
              Saturday, April 22nd, Peace River Agricultural Society Fairgrounds
              Alayne Blickle will be the featured speaker at this workshop. Topics: Mud,
              Paddocks and Horses, Great Ways to Grow More Pasture, and Natural Ways to
              Control Mud, Dust and Bugs. Other speakers include an equine veterinarian
              presenting on equine health and a representative from the province¹s
              department of agriculture.
              Pre-registration by April 10th is CDN$10, CDN$15 at the door. Details or
              registration: 780-835-4903 or 780-624-8846.

              Horsekeeping on Small Acreage
              Friday, April 28th, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
              and
              Saturday, April 29th, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
              Warrenton Extension Center, Warrenton, MO
              HCW will be in the St. Louis, Missouri area to help you learn about ways to
              manage horses on small properties that work for you, your horses, the
              community and the environment. Learn techniques for reducing mud, managing
              manure and making your farm chore efficient.
              Friday, April 28th
              Composting and Manure Management for Horse Owners
              Saturday, April 29th
              Shopping for Horse Property
              Pasture Management and Basic Farm Equipment
              Six Easy Steps for Eliminating Mud
              Natural Ways to Control Mud, Dust, and Bugs on Horse Properties
              Refreshments Friday evening and lunch Saturday provided. Registration by
              April 26th at 636-456-3434x3 or e-mail.

              Naturescaping on Horse Properties: Controlling Insects, Dust and Mud the
              Natural Way
              Sunday, May 7th, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
              Cedar River Watershed Education Center, North Bend, WA
              Inviting wildlife to your farm and landscaping with native plants can have
              many wonderful benefits for horse owners including "natural" insect control,
              mud reduction, dust barriers, visual screens between neighbors, cooling of
              buildings, summer shade for horses, low-cost/low care landscaping, and
              entertainment and enjoyment. We will also discuss useful options for
              managing creeks or wetlands on horse properties.
              Please call 206-233-1515 or e-mail <crwprograms@...> for details and
              registration.

              Animal Grazing Behavior: Understanding and Managing Livestock, Wildlife,
              Plants, Soils and People
              May 9th, 10th and 11th, Enumclaw, WA
              This 2 1/2 day workshop, presented by world class animal behavior specialist
              Dr. Fred Provenza of Utah State University, will explore the relationships
              among soils, plants, herbivores, people, and ecosystems and focus on how
              behavior influences food and habitat selection. For more information on Dr
              Provenza¹s work visit <http://www.behave.net/>. The information presented
              will have immediate applications for cattle and sheep producers, dairy
              farmers, wildlife biologists, horse owners, hay producers and others working
              with grazing issues, animal re-introductions, or foraging behavior of any
              kind.
              For details or more information: 425-432-6116 or e-mail
              <alayne@...>.
              Registration for both events: King Conservation District at 425-277-5581x125
              or e-mail <alayne@...>.
              FREE PUBLIC LECTURE on this topic: Monday, May 8th, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
              Carco Theatre, Renton, WA

              Shopping for Horse Property: How to Select a Suitable Site
              Friday, May 19th, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Brush Prairie, WA
              Many things go into selecting a suitable horse property‹beyond the barn and
              arena. Join HCW in this presentation to discuss soils, vegetation, drainage
              and many other considerations that can save you frustrations, heartache and
              lots of money down the road.
              Details: Clark Conservation District, 360-883-1987x112.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
                To view this email as a web page, go here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html> .

                The Green Horse
                Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

                April 2006

                The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
                http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
                Published on the 10th of each month by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses
                for Clean Water

                This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

                In this issue...
                * This Month's Message: Letting Go
                * Building an All-Weather Arena (Part 2)
                * Spring Pasture Management Tips
                * Special Message From Alayne: BEHAVE Workshop
                * Reader's Tip
                * Educational Events

                Newsflash!

                The 2004 back issues of The Green Horse are now available to buy as Adobe
                Acrobat PDFs for just $3.97 each. Help HCW programs by purchasing these
                information-packed newsletters! Just go to The Green Horse page
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/> and use the easy Add to
                Cart buttons and our payment system through PayPal. We will e-mail you the
                PDF within a day or so of your purchase! You will no longer find the online
                versions of these newsletters.

                Stall Cleaner Shirts
                Priced from $9.97 to 11.97
                Take a look at this month's featured HCW product. Get a shirt for your
                favorite "Equine Sanitation Enigneer." Browse our CafePress store and find
                something that will treat your favorite stall cleaner with the much-deserved
                importance that this title suggests. After all, if they look good and have
                pride in their work, your farm will reap the benefits of the hard work they
                do for you and your horses!
                <http://www.cafepress.com/horsefcwater/>

                This Month's Message: Letting Go
                This month I thought I'd share with you the reflections of my friend, Polly
                Klein, of what it's like to find a new home for her horse, in her article
                called "Letting Go." Polly's horse, Arrow, had a special place with us:
                Polly boarded Arrow with us and as such, he was a Horses for Clean Water
                horse and the subject of many photos you've seen in HCW materials. Click
                here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article1> to
                read Polly's message.

                Building an All-Weather Arena (Part 2)
                This is the second article in a two-part series on building an outdoor
                arena. This month learn about choosing a contractor, permits, slope and
                drainage, the subbase, the base, the surface--and more! Click here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article2> to
                read the full article.

                Spring Pasture Management Tips
                It¹s that time of year again when the grass gets greener and grows fast! But
                is it time to let your horses begin grazing on the pastures you¹ve carefully
                fenced off all winter? Putting horses out too soon can reduce the
                productivity of your pastures this summer and letting your horses graze too
                much can be dangerous to horse health. HCW answers several questions on how
                to begin spring pasture management. Click here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article3> for
                more information.

                Special Message From Alayne: BEHAVE Workshop
                In this special note from Alayne learn about world-class animal behavior
                specialist, Dr. Fred Provenza of Utah State University, coming to Western
                Washington May 8th to the 11th. Click here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article4> to
                read the details.

                Reader's Tip
                Read a chore-efficiency tip from reader Kent Wiles of Clatskanie, OR. Click
                here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article4> to
                read Kent's tip.

                Educational Events
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2006.html#article6> or
                visit the Educational Events page
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/schedules/> for more detailed class
                descriptions.

                The Healthy Happy Horses Workshop on Mud and Manure Management
                Saturday, April 22nd, Peace River Agricultural Society Fairgrounds
                Matt Livengood will be the featured speaker at this workshop. Topics: Mud,
[...]

                All Day Workshop
                Saturday, June 10th
                Bear Creek Equestrian Center, Winthrop, WA
                Join HCW in beautiful Winthrop, WA. This all day workshop will focus on
                manure management options for horse owners as well as natural ways to
                control mud, dust and bugs.
                For registration and pricing info: Bear Creek Equestrian Center, 93 Lower
                Bear Creek Rd., Winthrop, WA, e-mail
                <bearcreekequestriancenter@...> or call 509-996-3727.

                Two Sisters Dairy Farm Tour
                Tuesday, June 27th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
                Carnation, WA
                Have you ever met dairy cows with names instead of numbers? Tour Two Sisters
                Dairy for a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into making milk.
                Pre-registration is required as participation is limited. Contact King
                Conservation District at 425-277-5581x125 or e-mail
                <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

                Good-bye to the Fly!
                Wednesday, June 7th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
                Preston, WA
                FREE!
                Join WSU Extension horticulturalist and entomologist Todd Murray for an
                entertaining and educational look at the summertime critters that bug our
                horses, livestock and us--flies and mosquitoes!