The Green Horse - January 2005

  • Elizabeth Clark
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2005
      To view this email as a web page, go here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2005.html> .

      The Green Horse
      Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

      January 2005

      The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
      http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
      Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

      This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

      In this issue...
      * Message from Alayne
      * A January To Do List
      * Educational Events

      Message from Alayne...
      Beginning this month we¹re adding a new feature, a regular monthly message
      from Alayne Blickle, creator and program director of Horses for Clean Water.
      It's a cliche to say that life is short, but I bet if each of us were to do
      a little thinking we could come up with a few close calls we experienced
      that could have easily changed our personal course of history. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2005.html#article1> to
      read the full article.

      Quote of the Month
      Every time you ride, you¹re either teaching or un-teaching your horse.
      Gordon Wright
      Author of The Riding Instructor¹s Manual

      A January To Do List
      Beginning a new year offers the opportunity to not only look back and
      reflect, but to think ahead and prepare. In the Northwest, January is a
      great month to prepare for the coming growing season. In contrast to many
      other parts of the country that are frozen or buried under three feet of
      snow, there is a lot of work we can get a jump on in January. Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2005.html#article2> to
      read about a few farm tasks good to do at this time of the year that will
      put you ahead of the curve.

      Educational Events

      Click here
      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/01_2005.html#article3> to
      find out more details about these events.

      WHIDBEY ISLAND, WA

      The HCW Horse Farm Management Series
      Tuesday evenings, March 1 to 29, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
      Community Meeting Room, Bayview Cash Store, Langley, WA
      To register or for more details contact the Whidbey Island Conservation
      District at 360-678-4708 or whidbeycd@....

      This month's sponsor:
      Sterett Brothers Hay & Feed, LLC
      Cushings Pelleted Hay and Balanced Mineral Program for Cushings or Insulin
      Resistant Horses
      Made from hay that meets specific needs of metabolically challenged horses
      and accompanied by a veterinarian formulated mineral premix to meet the
      needs of these horses.

      If you have any questions or would like to submit an article for publication
      in The Green Horse <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/>,
      please e-mail info@....
    • Elizabeth Clark
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 10, 2005
        To view this email as a web page, go here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2005.html> .

        The Green Horse
        Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

        February 2005

        The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
        http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
        Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

        This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

        In this issue...
        * Message from Alayne: Bifurcation Points
        * ŒPlanting¹ Ahead for Power Lines
        * Our Picks...from The Green Horse Staff
        * Educational Events

        Message from Alayne: Bifurcation Points
        Bifurcate (bi-fer-kate) v. To divide or separate into two branches.
        ‹bifurcation n. A branching point as in reaching a new learning bifurcation
        point.
        Cool word, eh? I like cool words and this is one I learned this week. My
        reining horse, Derby, recently reached what I hope is a bifurcation point
        for him. Derby¹s not the only one in this house recently experiencing a
        branching point. Last week I participated in a training workshop in
        Okanogan, WA. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2005.html#article1> to
        read the full article.

        Quote of the Month
        ³Ultimately it¹s not about, the ends, it¹s about the means. And the ends
        will be there,² said Cole. ³You just have to stay and focus on the means,
        and the means have to have a real sense of purpose. And if you can add value
        in people¹s lives, then at the end of the day, it will all come together.²
        Kenneth Cole on discussing what it takes to be a successful CEO.

        ŒPlanting¹ Ahead for Power Lines
        If you have power lines on your property, you may have found that it can be
        a hassle to keep nearby trees from becoming overgrown and interfering with
        overhead wires. For public safety and to prevent power outages it is
        important to maintain clearance around power lines. However, the solution
        that is often used ‹ severe pruning and tree topping ‹ can sometimes do more
        harm than good. In this article we'll talk about the hazards of tree topping
        and how you can make better planting choices in the future to avoid problems
        with power lines. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2005.html#article2> to
        read the full article.

        Our Picks...from The Green Horse Staff

        The days may be staying lighter longer, but it¹s still pretty darn dark and
        cold. Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2005.html#article3> for
        some ideas from the HCW staff for books, videos and music.

        Educational Events

        Click here
        <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2005.html#article4> to
        find out more details about these events.

        Educational Events

        King County, WA

        Vashon Island Classes for Horse and Small Farm Owners
        February 17th through March 9th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
        Vashon-Maury Island Land Trust, 10015 S.W. Bank Rd., Vashon, WA
        Make changes on your farm that will help you reduce mud, manage manure and
        deal with wetlands! The King Conservation District is offering four FREE
        hands-on workshops on livestock management practices. Alayne Blickle will be
        a guest speaker at the Mud and Manure classes!
        Thursday, February 17th, Streams and Wetlands, Living with Livestock near
        Water
        Thursday, February 24th, Mud Management, Record Rainfall/Record Mud
        Thursday, March 3rd, Manure Management, Got Livestock? Got Manure!
        Wednesday, March 9th, Pasture Management, Growing Grass/Producing Forage
        Workshops are FREE! Attend all four workshops, or only those that meet your
        needs. To register call the Vashon Maury Island Land Trust at 206-463-2644.
        Class size is limited so please call to register or for more information.

        Tour a Vashon Island Breeding Farm
        Saturday, March 19th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
        Vashon Island, WA
        FREE!
        Join HCW on Vashon Island for a free educational tour of an Arabian breeding
        farm. This farm features mudless confinement areas for each of the 13
        horses, composting bins for manure management, and 7 acres of pasture with
        cross fencing. See baby horses, too! To register and receive a map contact
        the King Conservation District at 206-764-3410x125 or e-mail.

        Naturescaping on Horse Farms
        Saturday, April 16th, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
        Cedar River Watershed Education Center, North Bend, WA
        Inviting wildlife to your farm by landscaping with native plants can have
        many wonderful benefits for horse owners. Naturescaping allows us to share a
        bond with animals and nature and provides a way to ³give back² a little
        habit for wildlife in our ever-urbanizing areas. Class will cost $10 to $20
        per participant. For details or to register, call 206-233-1515 or e-mail.
        Registration is limited and closes April 8th

        Horses and NO Mud!
        Saturday, April 30th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
        Renton, WA
        FREE!
        Tour a 3-horse place that recently went from having horses in mud up to
        their hocks to having perfectly dry paddocks, a small grassy pasture and
        lots of wonderful wildlife enhancement areas. See gravel footing, horse
        fencing, environmentally sensitive horse waterers, wetlands enhancement
        projects, native plants as mud managers, compost bins, and lot, lots more!
        To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation District at
        206-764-3410x125 or e-mail.

        Benton County, WA

        Mud, Manure and Horses
        Friday, February 25th, All day
        Prosser, WA
        Join HCW at the Prosser Flower and Garden Show to learn about ways to make
        your horses farm more efficient. For more details contact the Benton
        Conservation District at 509-786-1923.

        Jefferson County, WA

        Mud, Manure, Pasture & Wildlife Management for Horse Owners
        Thursday evenings, March 24th to April 14th, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
        Tri-Area Community Center, Chimacum, WA
        Join HCW to learn about exciting techniques that will turn your horse farm
        around ‹ from mud and manure to dry paddocks and compost bins. To register
        contact the Jefferson County Conservation District at 360-385-4105 or
        e-mail.

        Farm Management Workshop for Livestock Owners
        Saturday, April 23rd, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
        Tri-Area Community Center, Chimacum, WA
        Whether you own cows, sheep, lamas or horses join HCW for this all day event
        to learn great ways to manage your farm so there's less mud, productive
        pastures and good uses for composted manure. To register contact the
        Jefferson County Conservation District at 360-385-4105 or e-mail.

        Island County, WA
        The HCW Horse Farm Management Series
        Tuesday evenings, March 1 to 29, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
        Community Meeting Room, Bayview Cash Store, Langley, WA
        Plan now to join Alayne Blickle and HCW on Whidbey Island in March 2005 for
        the full 5-week series. To register or for more details contact the Whidbey
        Island Conservation District at 360-678-4708 or whidbeycd@....

        Missouri

        Horses and Mud: Managing horses on small acreages in harmony with the
        environment
        Saturday, April 19, 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
        Innsbrook Conference Center, Wright City, MO
        HCW will be in the St. Louis, Missouri area help you learn about managing
        horses on small acreages in harmony with the environment. Learn techniques
        for reducing mud, managing manure and making your farm chore efficient. To
        register, call 636-456-3434x3 by April 17th. Cost is $5 per person, which
        includes dinner and handouts.

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2005
          To view this email as a web page, go here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2005.html> .

          The Green Horse
          Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

          March 2005

          The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
          http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
          Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

          This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

          In this issue...
          * Message from Alayne: The Eye of My Horse
          * Wipe Out Tack Room Mold
          * Tip of the Month: The swallows are coming...are you ready?
          * Important Drought Information for the Pacific Northwest
          * West Nile Virus Update for Northwest Horse Owners
          * Educational Events

          Message from Alayne: The Eye of My Horse
          thinking about this lately as I’ve been spending a lot of
          “one-on-one time” with my wonderful reining horse, Pepper. Click
          here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2005.html#article1> to
          read the rest of Alayne's message.

          Quote of the Month
          Softness doesn't come from your hand, it comes from your heart.
          Peter Campbell, Horsemanship Clinician

          Wipe Out Tack Room Mold
          If you have been battling mold in your tack room, I hate to tell you‹mold
          spores are everywhere. They are floating in the air, they are imbedded in
          the fibers of our leather tack, and they are on our clothes, carpets and
          walls. It is almost impossible to keep mold spores out. But there is good
          news! You may not be able to eliminate mold spores, but you CAN control mold
          growth. Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2005.html#article2> to
          read the full article.

          Tip of the Month: The swallows are coming...are you ready?
          One of our favorite birds here at Horses for Clean Water‹the Violet-green
          Swallow‹will be returning to Western Washington later this month! These
          little guys spend their winters in Central America and return each year,
          like clockwork, March 20th. Why do we love them so much? They're not only
          beautiful and fun to watch, they're also voracious insect eaters, eating
          about 4,000 insects per day, per bird! Now is the time to get your nest
          boxes hung so the Violet-greens will want to spend their spring and summer
          hunting insects on YOUR farm! Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2005.html#article3> to
          read the full article.

          Important Drought Information for the Pacific Northwest
          On Saturday, March 5, 2005 the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported that a
          drought could be declared in days. Federal officials are meeting with
          Washington Governor Christine Gregoire on how to cope with the lack of snow
          and rain in the Northwest. Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2005.html#article3> to
          read the full article.

          West Nile Virus Update for Northwest Horse Owners
          It's the time of year when we all need a reminder to keep up the fight
          against West Nile Virus. There is a lot we can do to reduce mosquito habitat
          on horse farms and it's important to protect our horses by having them
          vaccinated. Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/03_2005.html#article4> to
          read the latest news from the Washington Department of Health's February 25,
          2005 West Nile Virus Newsletter.

          Educational Events
          Click here
          <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/02_2005.html#article5> to
[...]

          Tuesday, April 19, 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
          Innsbrook Conference Center, Wright City, MO
          HCW will be in the St. Louis, Missouri area help you learn about managing
          horses on small acreages in harmony with the environment. Learn techniques
          for reducing mud, managing manure and making your farm chore efficient. To
          register, call 636-456-3434x3 by April 17th. Cost is $5 per person, which
          includes dinner and handouts.

          Snohomish County, WA

          The HCW Horse Farm Management Series
          Tuesday evenings, May 10th, May 24th, May 31st, and June 7th, 6:00 p.m. to
          9:00 p.m.
          Monroe City Hall Council Chambers, Monroe, WA
          Join HCW in South Snohomish County for this 4 week series to learn
          techniques to reduce mud, manage manure, make pastures more productive,
          provide for wildlife plus have healthy horses and a chore efficient farm!
          To register or for more information contact Snohomish County Department of
          Public Works at 425-388-6401 or k.woodmcguiness@....

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
            To view this email as a web page, go here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2005.html> .

            The Green Horse
            Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

            April 2005

            The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
            http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
            Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

            This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

            In this issue...
            * Message from Alayne: Why I Show
            * Identifying and Protecting Wetlands on Your Horse Property
            * We've Been Googled
            * Farm Focus: Raising Horses with NO Mud!
            * Educational Events

            Message from Alayne: Why I Show
            Why do I show? Some days -- many days -- I ask myself that exact question.
            Depending on how things are going with my reining horses, I may ask that
            question more frequently. But I have a special and very personal reason for
            showing that I thought I¹d share with you this month. Click
            here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2005.html#article1> to
            read the rest of Alayne's message.

            Quote of the Month
            "Work with the horse where he is at to get him to where you would like him
            to be."
            Ray Hunt, Master Horseman and Western Horseman magazine's Horseman of the
            Year

            Identifying and Protecting Wetlands on Your Horse Property
            Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2005.html#article2> to
            read the full article.

            We've Been Googled
            Spring is a great time to get rid of that manure you've stored up during the
            winter. There are many avid gardeners eager to have your gift of black gold
            for their garden and landscapes. Putting an ad for 'free manure' in the
            paper during the spring and fall (when gardeners are most active) can be a
            great way to get the word out. This little article written by one of our
            readers (who also happens to be Jessica's mom) shows just how successful it
            can be!
            "I'm calling about the manure. Do you ship it?" a gravelly voice said.
            Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2005.html#article3> to
            read the full article.

            Farm Focus: Raising Horses with NO Mud!
            Join HCW for an educational tour of this wonderful horse property. Saturday,
            April 30th, 10 a.m. to 12 noon. Beautiful Lake Desire is right across the
            street from this small property and a wetlands is directly next door --
            about two feet from the formerly muddy paddock. Seasonal creeks used to flow
            through the horse areas and it made life miserable for the landowners and
            their three horses. They even had mud and standing water in July! Come see
            the beautiful changes these property owners have made -- all good for the
            horses, chore efficient for the owners and beneficial for wildlife and water
            quality. To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation
            District at 206-764-3410x125 or e-mail. PARKING IS LIMITED AT THIS EVENT --
            please carpool if possible. Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2005.html#article4> to
            read the full article.

            Educational Events
            Click here
            <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/04_2005.html#article5> to
            find out more details about these events.

            Farm Management Workshop for Livestock Owners
            Saturday, April 23rd, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
            Tri-Area Community Center, Chimacum, WA
            Whether you own cows, sheep, lamas or horses join HCW for this all day event
            to learn great ways to manage your farm so there's less mud, productive
            pastures and good uses for composted manure. To register contact the
            Jefferson County Conservation District at 360-385-4105 or e-mail.

            Naturescaping on Horse Farms
            Saturday, April 16th, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
            Cedar River Watershed Education Center, North Bend, WA
            Inviting wildlife to your farm by landscaping with native plants can have
            many wonderful benefits for horse owners. Naturescaping allows us to share a
            bond with animals and nature and provides a way to "give back" a little
            habit for wildlife in our ever-urbanizing areas. Class will cost $10 to $20
            per participant. For details or to register, call 206-233-1515 or e-mail.
            Registration is limited and closes April 8th

            Horses and Mud: Managing horses on small acreages in harmony with the
            environment
            Tuesday, April 19, 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
            Innsbrook Conference Center, Wright City, MO
            HCW will be in the St. Louis, Missouri area help you learn about managing
            horses on small acreages in harmony with the environment. Learn techniques
            for reducing mud, managing manure and making your farm chore efficient. To
            register, call 636-456-3434x3 by April 17th. Cost is $5 per person, which
            includes dinner and handouts.

            Mud, Dust and Horses
            Saturday, April 16th, 12 noon to 2:00 p.m.
            Reber Ranch, 28606 132nd Ave. S.E., Kent, WA
            If you have horses, then you have mud, right? Wrong! There are many great
            ways to manage mud on your farm. Join HCW for this free presentation at this
            huge Auburn feed and tack store. Details: 253-630-3330 or e-mail web site.

            Horses and NO Mud!
            Saturday, April 30th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon, FREE!
            Renton, WA
            Tour a 3-horse place that recently went from having horses in mud up to
            their hocks to having perfectly dry paddocks, a small grassy pasture and
            lots of wonderful wildlife enhancement areas. See gravel footing, horse
            fencing, environmentally sensitive horse waterers, wetlands enhancement
            projects, native plants as mud managers, compost bins, and lot, lots more!
            To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation District at
            206-764-3410x125 or e-mail.

            The HCW Horse Farm Management Series
            Tuesdays, May 10th, May 24th, May 31st, and June 7th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m..
            Monroe City Hall Council Chambers, Monroe, WA
            Join HCW in South Snohomish County for this 4 week series to learn
            techniques to reduce mud, manage manure, make pastures more productive,
            provide for wildlife plus have healthy horses and a chore efficient farm!
            To register or for more information contact Snohomish County Department of
            Public Works at 425-388-6401 or k.woodmcguiness@....

            Managing Horse Manure
            Friday, May 13th, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
            Middleburg, VA
            Join HCW on the East Coast to hear about manure management techniques which
            can make your place healthier for horses, reduce insect populations, help
            your farm become more productive during the growing season, AND make it a
            chore-efficient place for you to enjoy! COST: $20 (includes continental
            breakfast, lunch and handouts). To register and receive directions contact
            the Prince William Soil and Water Conservation District, 703-594-3621 or
            e-mail.

            No Bugs Here!
            Saturday, June 11th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
            Stanwood, WA
            Tour a 5-acre horse farm with innovative, all-natural insect control
            techniques. Jubilee Farms breeds Missouri Foxtrotters, raised and handled
            with natural horsemanship techniques. Some of the insect control techniques
            include Victor Fly Traps, biological fly control, fly tape, goldfish in
            water troughs, resident swallows, and of course excellent mud and manure
            management techniques which substantially reduce insect habitat. COST:
            $5/household or free to 4-H households. To register and receive directions
            contact the Snohomish Conservation District at 425-335-5634x4.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 11, 2005
              To view this email as a web page, go here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/05_2005.html> .

              The Green Horse
              Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

              May 2005

              The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
              http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
              Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

              This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

              In this issue...
              * Message from Alayne: In the Mirror
              * Barn Swallows: Free, Easy and Natural Bug Control
              * Alayne Blickle Receives Green Globe Award on Earth Day
              * West Nile Virus Updates for Northwest Horse Owners
              * Farm Focus: Jubilee Farms
              * Educational Events

              Message from Alayne: In the Mirror
              I had an incredible opportunity this past month. After more then 20 years I
              went back to visit the university where both my husband Matt and I
              graduated, Southern Illinois University (SIU). Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/05_2005.html#article1> to
              read the rest of Alayne's message.
              Quote of the Month
              "Some people have animal eyes--bears' eyes, cats' eyes, pigs' eyes, but
              horses have human eyes and I love horses better than people."
              Jose Garcia Villa
              Barn Swallows: Free, Easy and Natural Bug Control

              by Patti Loesche

              By the time you read this, the barn swallows will be back among us in force,
              following their earlier-arriving kin, the violet-green and tree swallows. As
              their name implies, barn swallows thrive around human dwellings associated
              with livestock, and stables are very popular nest sites. If you have horses,
              the arrival of the barn swallow is likely to elicit one of three responses:
              yearning that a few might deign to nest nearby, utter delight at the return
              of these lively and graceful summer neighbors, or delight tinged with dismay
              that your local habitat is, well, a little too attractive to swallows. Click
              here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/05_2005.html#article2> to
              read the full article.

              Alayne Blickle Receives Green Globe Award on Earth Day

              The Green Globe Award is King County's highest honor for businesses,
              organizations and individuals who have gone the extra mile in environmental
              stewardship and have participated in one or more Department of Natural
              Resources and Parks programs. On Friday, April 22nd, the Green Globe Award
              Ceremony was the centerpiece of King County's Earth Day Expo activities at
              Westlake Park in downtown Seattle. Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/05_2005.html#article3> to
              read the full article.
              West Nile Virus Updates for Northwest Horse Owners

              The following information was taken by permission from the Washington
              Department of Health¹s April 29, 2005 West Nile Virus Newsletter. For more
              information on how horse owners keep up their vigilance against mosquitoes
              see the April 2004 issue of The Green Horse on the HCW web site.
              Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/05_2005.html#article4> to
              read the full article.
              Farm Focus: Jubliee Farms
              This 5-acre horse farm has innovative, all-natural insect control
              techniques. Jubilee Farms breeds Missouri Foxtrotters. Join HCW and see
              unique, gravity-based compost bins, gravel paddocks, a beautiful covered
              arena, recently established pastures and, of course, a very cute baby
              Foxtrotter! COST: $5/household or free to 4-H households. To register and
              receive directions to see this great place in person, contact the Snohomish
              Conservation District at 425-335-5634x4. Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/05_2005.html#article5> to
              read the full article.

              Educational Events
              Click here
              <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/05_2005.html#article6> to
              find out more details about these events.

              Monroe, WA
              The HCW Horse Farm Management Series
              Tuesdays, May 10th, May 24th, May 31st, and June 7th
              6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Monroe City Hall Council Chambers
              Join HCW in South Snohomish County for this 4 week series to learn
              techniques to reduce mud, manage manure, make pastures more productive,
              provide for wildlife plus have healthy horses and a chore efficient farm! To
              register or for more information contact Snohomish County Department of
              Public Works at 425-388-6401 or e-mail.

              Middleburg, VA
              Managing Horse Manure
              Friday, May 13th, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
              Join HCW on the East Coast to hear about manure management techniques which
              can make your place healthier for horses, reduce insect populations, help
              your farm become more productive during the growing season, AND make it a
              chore-efficient place for you to enjoy! COST: $20 (includes continental
              breakfast, lunch and handouts). To register and receive directions contact
              the Prince William Soil and Water Conservation District, 703-594-3621 or
              e-mail.

              Chimacum, WA
              Horse Pasture Management
              Thursday, June 9th, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Location TBD
              In this class we will cover basic techniques for good pasture management
              including how grasses grow, creating a winter paddock, rotational grazing,
              and managing small, grassy areas. Learn how to make changes now so your
              pastures are more productive and nicer to look at this coming summer! To

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 12, 2005
                To view this email as a web page, go here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/06_2005.html> .

                The Green Horse
                Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

                June 2005

                The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
                http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
                Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

                This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

                In this issue...
                * Message from Alayne: It Just Is
                * Controlling Weeds with Goats and Sheep
                * Farm Focus: Blickle-Livengood Farm
                * Educational Events

                Message from Alayne: It Just Is
                Liz Clark recently loaned me a thoughtful book by Mark Rashid called Life
                Lessons from a Ranch Horse, which I have appreciated reading. In it the
                author recants a little parable that I found interesting and thought I¹d
                share this month. Click here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/06_2005.html#article1> to
                read the rest of Alayne's message.

                Quote of the Month
                ³You are bound only by your decision to have boundaries.²
                Harry Palmer, author of ReSurfacing®

                Controlling Weeds with Goats and Sheep
                When it comes to controlling weeds, most of us think of hand pulling,
                herbicides, mowing, etc. But if you¹re looking for natural, non-toxic ways
                to control weeds you may be surprised to find out that goats and sheep can
                be a useful part of your weed management strategy. Used alone, goats and
                sheep will not prove to be the silver bullet for weeds, but they can be a
                great addition to your weed control toolbox. Click here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/06_2005.html#article2> to
                read the full article.

                Farm Focus: Blickle-Livengood Farm
                Wednesday, June 29th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
                Take time this summer to learn about new updates in horse farm management.
                Visit the working horse farm belonging to the director of Horses for Clean
                Water, Alayne Blickle, and her husband Matt Livengood. In addition to
                running an environmentally friendly horse farm, Alayne and Matt ride and
                show reining horses. Five acres is set up for six horses with grassy
                pastures, mudless paddocks, composting areas, barn, shelters, and two riding
                arenas.
                We will focus this tour on new ideas and information in the horse farm
                management world. Visit with product dealers and see demonstrations of new
                techniques and materials.
                This is the first tour in several years at Alayne¹s place ‹ join us for a
                special event!
                Click here
                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/05_2005.html#article3> to
                read the full article.

                Educational Events
                Meet HCW Staff at these upcoming events this summer. Visit the Educational
                Events page for detailed class descriptions.

                Stanwood, WA
                No Bugs Here!
                Saturday, June 11th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
                To register and receive directions contact the Snohomish Conservation
                District at 425-335-5634x4.

                Maple Valley, WA
                Tour the Horses for Clean Water Demonstration Farm
                Wednesday, June 29th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
                Blickle-Livengood Farm
                FREE! To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation District
                at 206-764-3410x125 or e-mail.

                Enumclaw, WA
                Bullock Romneys
                Tuesday, July 12th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
                FREE! To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation District
                at 206-764-3410x125 or e-mail.

                North Bend, WA
                Wild and Wooly!
                Thursday, August 4th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
                FREE! To register and receive a map contact the King Conservation District
                at 206-764-3410x125 or e-mail.

                Redmond, WA
                Simpatico Stable Tour
                Thursday, August 25th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
                Simpatico Stable

                <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/06_2005.html#article4> to

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 9 11:13 PM
                  To view this email as a web page, go here
                  <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/07_2005.html> .

                  The Green Horse
                  Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

                  July 2005

                  The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
                  http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
                  Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

                  This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

                  In this issue...
                  * My New Schoolmaster: Importing a Horse from Canada
                  * Kicking the Wood Chewing Habit
                  * Resources for Dealing with Wildlife
                  * Farm Focus: Bullock Romneys
                  * Educational Events

                  My New Schoolmaster: Importing a Horse from Canada
                  This month Patricia Cosgrove (one of our Horses for Clean Water
                  Demonstration Farm owners) shares her experience importing a horse from
                  Canada. Learn what it takes to transport a horse over the border and find
                  out how her new schoolmaster is working out! Click here
                  <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/07_2005.html#article1> to
                  read the rest of Patricia's story.

                  Quote of the Month
                  ³You have two choices when a defining moment comes along, you can do one of
                  two things. Define the moment...or let the moment define you.²
                  From the movie Tin Cup

                  Kicking the Wood Chewing Habit
                  When horses start a wood chewing habit, it can be destructive and expensive..
                  It can also be dangerous to your horse's health. Learn why horses chew on
                  wood and how you can get them to kick the habit. Click here
                  <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/07_2005.html#article2> to
                  read the full article.

                  Resources for Dealing with Wildlife
                  Summer is the time when we usually interact with wildlife the most, friendly
                  or otherwise. If you live in Washington, check out this list of handy
                  resources to get answers to all your wildlife questions. Click here
                  <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/07_2005.html#article3> to
                  read the full article.

                  Farm Focus: Bullock Romneys
                  Thursday, August 4th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., North Bend, WA
                  Join us for a free educational tour of a horse place that does its best to
                  live in harmony with its wild neighbors. See habitat on a horse farm for
                  elk, deer, coyote, fox and more. Lee Kantar, District Wildlife Biologist
                  from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, will be the featured
                  speaker on the tour. We will do a walk-through of the horse property to look
                  at horse management techniques compatible with beneficial wildlife. Bring
                  your wildlife questions and join us for this FREE educational event. Click
                  here
                  <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/07_2005.html#article4> to
[...]

                  Marysville, WA
                  The HCW Winter Horse Farm Management Series
                  Tuesday evenings, September 20th to October 18th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
                  Kellogg-Marsh Grange, Marysville, WA
                  To register or for more information contact the Snohomish Conservation
                  District at 425-335-5634x4.

                  Stanwood, WA
                  Rott-N-Ridge Ranch Farm Tour
                  Saturday, September 17th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
                  FREE! To register or for more information contact the Snohomish Conservation
                  District at 425-335-5634x4.

                  North King County, WA
                  Free Classes for Livestock Owners
                  date and place TBA
                  For registration or more details call the King Conservation District at
                  425-277-5581x120.

                  Monroe, WA
                  Horse¹n Around on Lord Hill
                  Saturday, October 1st, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
                  COST: $5 per household or free to 4H households. To register and receive

                  <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/07_2005.html#article5> to

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 11, 2005
                    To view this email as a web page, go here
                    <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2005.html> .

                    The Green Horse
                    Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

                    August 2005

                    The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
                    http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
                    Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

                    This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

                    In this issue...
                    * Message from Alayne: Victory Lap
                    * Controlling Creeping Buttercup in Pastures
                    * Worm Queen, Mary Appelhof, Passes Away
                    * Diesel Fuel
                    * Farm Focus: Simpatico Stables
                    * Farm Focus: Rott-N-Ridge Ranch
                    * Educational Events

                    Message from Alayne: Victory Lap
                    This past Saturday was a grand day; warm temperatures and sunny skies made
                    for the ultimate summer riding weather. It was made even more perfect by a
                    special trail ride Matt and I took to the Snohomish River in Lord Hill Park,
                    a 1500-acre multi-use Snohomish County Park. It was so much fun! My horse
                    Pepper loves water and it was simply delightful to see her play, literally
                    play, in the water. Being there with Pepper and watching her be so happy
                    meant a great deal to me. In fact, as I sat there on her I realized it felt
                    like a victory lap. And let me tell you why... Click here
                    <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2005.html#article1> to
                    read the rest of Alayne's message.

                    Quote of the Month
                    "I don't ride my saddle, I ride my horse."
                    Ray Hunt, from the new book Cowboy Logic

                    Controlling Creeping Buttercup in Pastures
                    Yellow flowering weeds are a common sight in most pastures; some of them are
                    relatively harmless while others can be dangerous to your horse's health and
                    the productivity of your pastures. For example, mustards or dandelions that
                    can be tolerated and do not cause much damage. However, buttercups are
                    something to watch out for--they are often ignored until they have become a
                    major problem. Click here
                    <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2005.html#article2> to
                    learn ways to manage buttercup in your pastures.

                    Worm Queen, Mary Appelhof, Passes Away
                    Many of you may have heard Alayne speak enthusiastically in her classes
                    about worm bin composting and the ³Bible² of worm composting Worms Eat My
                    Garbage. Click here
                    <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2005.html#article3> to
                    read the full article.

                    Biodiesel
                    Ever think about how that big rig you drive may not exactly be the best
                    thing for conserving fuel and reducing our nation's dependence on oil? Well,
                    now your one-ton dually can actually be environmentally sensitive because
                    biodiesel fuel is becoming increasingly more available in the Puget Sound
                    Region. Click here
                    <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2005.html#article4> to
                    read the full article.

                    Farm Focus: Simpatico Stables
                    Thursday, August 25th, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Redmond, WA
                    Imagine a commercial boarding facility with 6 hours of mud-free daily
                    turnout for each of 43 horses! In downtown Redmond! With access to an
                    indoor, outdoor arena, track AND trails! Click
                    here
                    <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2005.html#article5a> to
                    read the full article.

                    Farm Focus: Rott-N-Ridge Ranch Recycles!!
                    Saturday, September 17th, 10 a.m. to 12 noon, Smokey Point/Arlington, WA
                    From recycling horse manure to rainwater harvesting this 5-acre farm
                    definitely reduces and reuses! Click here
                    <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2005.html#article5b> to
                    read the full article.

                    Educational Events
                    Meet HCW Staff at these upcoming events this summer and fall. Visit the

                    at 425-277-5581x125 or e-mail <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

                    Marysville, WA
                    The HCW Winter Horse Farm Management Series
                    Tuesday evenings, September 20th to October 18th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
                    Kellogg-Marsh Grange, Marysville, WA
                    To register or for more information contact the Snohomish Conservation
                    District at 425-335-5634x4.

                    Stanwood, WA
                    Rott-N-Ridge Ranch Farm Tour
                    Saturday, September 17th, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
                    FREE! To register or for more information contact the Snohomish Conservation
                    District at 425-335-5634x4.

                    North King County, WA
                    Free Classes for Livestock Owners
                    date and place TBA
                    For registration or more details call the King Conservation District at
                    425-277-5581x125.

                    Monroe, WA
                    Horse¹n Around on Lord Hill
                    Saturday, October 1st, 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon
                    COST: $5 per household or free to 4H households. To register and receive
                    directions contact the Snohomish Conservation District at 425-335-5634x4.

                    Kirkland, WA
                    Winter Horse Farm Management Series
                    Wednesday evenings, October 5th to 26th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
                    To register or for more information call 425-576-3851 or e-mail
                    <sgonsar@...>.

                    Renton, WA
                    Workshops for Livestock Owners
                    Thursday evenings, October 13th to November 3rd, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
                    This fall join the King Conservation District for four FREE workshops on
                    livestock management practices. To register or for more information call
                    425-277-5581x125 or e-mail <Roseanne.Campagna@...>.

                    Brush Prairie, WA
                    Horse¹n Around in Clark County
                    Saturday October 22nd, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
                    Clark Conservation District office
                    Join HCW and Clark Conservations District for a full day¹s workshop on mud,
                    manure and pasture management options.
                    COST: $12 per person, which includes lunch and handouts. Registration is
                    limited--to register or for more information call 360-883-1987.

                    San Juan Islands, WA
                    HCW Horse Farm Management Workshops
                    Saturday, October 29th, details TBD
                    Pasture, manure and mud management workshop. To register or for more
                    information call 360-378-6621 or e-mail <heatherh@...>.

                    Click here
                    <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/08_2005.html#article6> to
                    find out more details about these events.

                    If you have any questions or would like to submit an article for publication
                    in The Green Horse <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/>,
                    please e-mail info@....

                    If you wish to be removed from future mailings, send a blank message to:
                    We would hate to see you go.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    ------ End of Forwarded Message
                  • Elizabeth Clark
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 11, 2005
                      To view this email as a web page, go here
                      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/09_2005.html> .

                      The Green Horse
                      Promoting the equestrian lifestyle within a sustainable environment

                      September 2005

                      The official newsletter of Horses for Clean Water,
                      http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com
                      Published by Alayne Blickle, Director of Horses for Clean Water

                      This month's sponsor: SweetPDZ Horse Stall Refresher

                      In this issue...
                      * Message from Alayne: Happy Trails
                      * Spreading Compost
                      * Katrina Strands Many; Rescuers Wait for Evaluation of Worst Hit Areas
                      * Tip of the Month: Footing Material
                      * Farm Focus: Lord Hill
                      * Book Review
                      * Educational Events

                      Message from Alayne: Happy Trails

                      Anyone who knows me knows that competitive reining is a big part of my life..
                      But I am also passionate about trail riding, the non-competitive, yet
                      equally important, side of my riding experience. In this issue of The Green
                      Horse I'd like to share with you a couple of my favorite trails in
                      Washington. Click here
                      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/09_2005.html#article1> to
                      read the rest of Alayne's message.

                      Last Chance To Spread Compost This Year!

                      Most of you just enjoyed a nice long Labor Day weekend but now it is time to
                      get to work spreading compost! A good rule of thumb is spread your compost
                      on your pastures some time between Labor Day and mid-October. Compost can
                      also be spread earlier in the growing season (between mid-March to early
                      October), but spreading compost in early autumn is one of the most important
                      times of year--it will help your grass plants get through the winter and be
                      productive next spring. Click here
                      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/09_2005.html#article2> to
                      read some tips on getting the job done.

                      Katrina Strands Many; Rescuers Wait for Evaluation of Worst Hit Areas

                      If you didn't catch this article from TheHorse.com, it gives you some
                      insight on this tragedy from the perspective of horse owners in the area and
                      the Veterinary Medical Assistance Teams that have been deployed. If you'd
                      like to assist the teams that are working to help injured and displaced
                      animals, this article includes a link where you can make a secure donation.
                      Click here
                      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/09_2005.html#article3> to
                      read the full article.

                      Tip of the Month
                      If you need footing material, now is the time to get it! Click here
                      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/09_2005.html#article4> to
                      read this month's tip.

                      Farm Focus: Horse¹n Around on Lord Hill

                      On Saturday, October 1st, from 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon, come horse around on
                      Lord Hill. Join Horses for Clean Water to tour a small acreage horse farm in
                      Snohomish, WA that has implemented wonderful, innovative mud, manure and
                      pasture management techniques. Learn how to get your property ready for
                      winter--see ways to manage three horses on less than two acres of pasture.
                      Click here
                      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/09_2005.html#article5> to
                      read the full article.

                      Book Review: Trail Riding and Horse Camping Books

                      Click here
                      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/09_2005.html#article6> to
                      read the full review.

                      Educational Events
                      Meet HCW Staff at these upcoming events this fall. Visit the Educational

                      <http://www.horsesforcleanwater.com/thegreenhorse/09_2005.html#article7> to