2010 Fall retreat

  • McMahon, Mike W.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
      Dear Sangha,

      Traditionally one of the midwest sanghas has hosted a fall  retreat led by Brother Chan Huy- a wonderful teacher in our tradition, originally from Viet Nam, now living in Montreal.  All of the Midwest sanghas and the general public are invited. The retreat typically begins on Friday evening and ends with a tea ceremony on Sunday afternoon, usually 30-40 people.

      At meditation on Monday we discussed the possibility of hosting the retreat this fall.  The response was affirmative and enthusiastic.

      I've received a commitment from Mark Watson and Bevely Hayes to commit time and energy to planning and facilitating the retreat.  This is a large commitment, Thanks!!!   Also, Brother Chan Huy has agreed to lead us!

      In addition, I would ask all members of our community to consider opening heart and mind, time and energy towards helping and participating in the retreat. I know we all have busy schedules and many commitments, so I make this request without particular expectations, but know that any effort you can offer would be appreciated. It will take many hands to make the retreat happen.

      This is a great opportunity for us to grow in our individual practice and as a community.  It is also a way of offering Thay's beautiful teaching to the larger community.

      Thanks to all of you for your presence and practice!!
      Below is a beautiful Thich Nhat Hanh poem.

      Blessings,
      Mike

      Our True Heritage

      The cosmos is filled with precious gems.

      I want to offer a handful of them to you this morning.

      Each moment you are alive is a gem,

      shining through and containing earth and sky,

      water and clouds.

      It needs you to breathe gently

      for the miracles to be displayed.

      Suddenly you hear the birds singing,

      the pines chanting,

      see the flowers blooming,

      the blue sky,

      the white clouds,

      the smile and the marvelous look

      of your beloved.

      You, the richest person on Earth,

      who have been going around begging for a living,

      stop being the destitute child.

      Come back and claim your heritage.

      We should enjoy our happiness

      and offer it to everyone.

      Cherish this very moment.

      Let go of the stream of distress

      and embrace life fully in your arms.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010

          I don't have a date yet.  Bro. Chan Huy is available on the dates below.  I have emailed inquiries to the three retreat centers we discussed, Schuyler, Creighton and Knowles Mercy.  I am following up with phone calls today.  Will keep you posted.
          Mike

          Oct 1
          Oct 15
          Nov 5
          Nov 12 (least preferred)

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
            Here's me helping out a bit.
            Another option on retreat centers:
            There is also a retreat center in Bellevue NE called the Columban Center. They can take 48 people in double rooms. Fr Chuch Lintz was at the Worker House tonight and he was interested in hearing more about Thich Naht Hanh. He suggested the Columbans where he works. 1902 Calhoun Bellevue / 291-192

            Any info on Chan Huy that I can forward to Chuck?
            Grace

            "I believe that we shall see the good things of the Lord in the Land of the Living" ~Love in Christ, Grace

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
              Thanks Grace!!! as you can see, we needed this referral as the other places were booked.
              Below is a site for a retreat flyer for another local sangha that has Chan Huy preside.  There is some info about him, and considerable info about the retreat- ours will be basically the same.

              Blessings,
              Mike

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                Mike, did you read that the kitchen does not have a stove?

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9, 2010
                  Hi Grace and all,

                  Yes I noticed that.  The food will be catered.  However we may have to be creative about providing tea during the retreat- or not provide it.  Thanks for the heads up.

                  The planning group (Mark, Bev and me) will be getting together for our first meeting soon.  If anyone would like to join us let me know.
                  We'll probably meet about once a week until we get a handle on things.  There will be plenty of opportunities for people to contribute time and energy down the line as things unfold.  I'll try to keep you posted.

                  Blessings,
                  Mike