Re: [Homeschool_Links_and_Forms] Re: Hello

  • Lenora Lynne
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 30, 2009
      I am sorry that I have not posted an intro yet. I have been very busy!
      I am Lenora, married to my wonderful highschool sweetheart since '91, and we
      ve three blessings here and one up in heaven I look forward to meeting one
      day.
      We started homeschooling in fall of '06 and have not looked back since. We
      ve DD17, DD12, DS8, 2 cats (Noel and DC) and 3 dogs (Liam - GSD, Bear -
      Lab/Newfie, and Honey - Lab, Shepherd, Rat terrior), and a colony of geckos
      that call our home their home too. :)
      Right now DH is looking for work, we are working on a homebusiness of crafts
      and homemade items, and I teach piano, guitar and voice out of our home.
      We live in Texas, unfortunately planted here in the city until the Lord
      decides to move us. We would LOVE to be on acreage where I could have
      chickens, Dexter cows, sheep, and a large garden and orchard! I really do
      not like living in the city and am a country girl at heart.

       Lenora Lynne
      Ephesians 6 KJV
      http://daycountrycrafts.webs.com/ http://www.psalm98musicstudio.webs.com
      http://lenorasblessings.blogspot.com/ http://craftersamongus.ning
      com/profile/LenoraLynne
      www.facebook.com/lenora

    • SandraModersohn
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 30, 2009
        My name is Sandra. I'm 29 years old, I have 3 little girls, one age
        three and twins age 4. I am not Christian, nor do I belong to any other
        particular religion. My children are eager to learn and we've been
        enjoying 'doing school' this year.

        I've been using workboxes to organize our days, though I actually use
        envelopes instead of boxes, and we do reading and language lessons,
        math, and simple science (daily weather observations and charting etc)
        every day, Monday through Friday. We also toss in some history and
        extra science and math on some days. Other days we go out and explore
        the world with little 'field trips'. Some people think I'm crazy for
        doing all this with 3 and 4 year olds. But we fit 12 activities into
        just a couple of hours a day and we all enjoy it. They complain every
        weekend that there is no school!

        I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and I hope that I'll be
        able to be a useful member here.
      • Galadriel Simons
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
          Hi Sandra! Welcome to the group. I've never heard of a workboxes or
          envelopes idea for schooling before. I'd love to hear more about what you
          have in your envelopes. I have a 1st grader, and preschooler and a 2 yr
          old. I create my own curriculum, and we also do lots of different
          activities through the day and week. Do you plan on homeschooling into
          elementary school? Hope the fall is treating you well.
          Galadriel Simons

          On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM, SandraModersohn
          <treblesand@...>wrote:

          > My name is Sandra. I'm 29 years old, I have 3 little girls, one age
          > three and twins age 4. I am not Christian, nor do I belong to any other
          > particular religion. My children are eager to learn and we've been
          > enjoying 'doing school' this year.
          >
          > I've been using workboxes to organize our days, though I actually use
          > envelopes instead of boxes, and we do reading and language lessons,
          > math, and simple science (daily weather observations and charting etc)
          > every day, Monday through Friday. We also toss in some history and
          > extra science and math on some days. Other days we go out and explore
          > the world with little 'field trips'. Some people think I'm crazy for
          > doing all this with 3 and 4 year olds. But we fit 12 activities into
          > just a couple of hours a day and we all enjoy it. They complain every
          > weekend that there is no school!
          >
          > I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and I hope that I'll be
          > able to be a useful member here.

        • Polly Wallis
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
            I too came from one of the other groups.  We started homeschooling when our son was 3 and we mostly used K and 1st grade workbooks from Sam's Club, hooked on phonics and did other fun stuff and went to the library story hour and stuff geared to preschoolers.  Now he is in 4th grade homeschool and we are going a little more ecclectic this year, but for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade we used Alpha Omega life pacs and Switched on Schoolhouse.
            I have been married for 30 years to the same wonderful man and also have 2 older daughters that we homeschooled 3rd grade through 12th grade.
            Polly Wallis

          • Wendy Ivanov
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
              Hi, My name is Wendy and I have joined several homeschool groups so I can learn about it. I am very disappointed with Public school and the way the handle our kids. My concern is that I don't even know where to start and now I see your post and it seems and answer to my prayers.

              I have a 20 year old that is currently in Tech and always went to Public Schools and then I have a 9 year old that just started 04th grade and has not been adapting very well. What I mean is that he had always been a mostly A some B student and now he has not been doing that well. According to the teachers he knows the material but rushed through his assignments so he can read, or he just wont pay attention. The funny thing is that when we do homework or just work at home he does great. Which leads me to think that he needs more individual attention. I also want to have God as part of his learning journey and as we know that is not part of regular schooling.

              The issue that I have is that I work full time, I do work 3 days from home so I am thinking I could do it, but I don;t even know where to start. I need near the Mall of Georgia and I am not sure if there are groups that maybe have some kids that they tutor so I could arrange for the 2 days I go to work. I am thinking that maybe I could leave the work for him so he can do it.

              The other major issue I have is that my husband doesn't want me to homeschool, he has in his mind that my son wont get social skills, but in the last 2 weeks that I have joined all these groups I have realized that homeschooled kids not only socialize a lot but have the opportunity to do much more that what regular school kids get to do.

              My plan is if I understand where to start is to start homeschooling right after winter break and then if it works continue until he graduates if it doesn't work he would have to continue 5th grade at his regular school.

              I am open to any ideas as well as guidance as I have no clue on where to start. I live in Gwinnett County Georgia.

              Thanks,

              Wendy

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
                Welcome Wendy,
                You could contact the coop group at First Baptist Sugarhill.  They have classes, I believe on Tuesdays, but I don't know what the time frame is.  I live in Winder, GA. Yahoo has lots of homeschool groups.  Just search for groups in Georgia and you might get some ideas.
                As far as your husband- some people just have a wrong idea like you said about homeschool.  Maybe he needs to read some of the posts or talk to other people who homeschool and he might feel more at ease over the whole thing.  I don't think it would work well if you both weren't wanting the same thing.
                Polly Wallis

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                <jocktrusty@ ...> wrote:
                > I am a stay at home mom to 3 kids. They are 11,8,2 years of age. I
                homeschool all of them. They are in 6th,3rd and preschool. I have been
                homeschooling for two years. I use Rod and Staff cirr.

              • Diane
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Hi Wendy,

                  I also moved from another group to here....My name is Diane I am wife to
                  one Momma to 4, I homeschool 3, and my oldest, we just put in a military
                  charter school where he is doing fairly well.

                  My favorite curriculum so far is Tapestry of Grace which makes it really
                  easy to teach multiple levels. It is literature based and has everything
                  laid out in a weekly schedule except for math and science. Sonlight is
                  another option which is lit based, and I loved it when I only had one
                  child....but even though I am organized, I can only be so
                  organized....and that did not include teaching 2 entirely different sets
                  of subject matter over a wide age gap....I LOVE LOVE LOVE their one stop
                  shopping, you can get EVERYTHING you need for the year right from their
                  catalog.

                  Another FABULOUS resource is Rainbow Resource, they have an online
                  catalog, but their print catalog is what I use to dream over....think
                  the old Sears catalog, only all books, games, and other homeschool,
                  family friendly oriented cool stuff. Most of it is cheaper than just
                  about anywhere else.

                  Look for your state homeschool association, the one in California is
                  California Homeschool Network, and their motto is 'Know the Code', as in
                  the education code under which we function in order to educate our children.

                  Wendy Ivanov wrote:

                  > Hi, My name is Wendy and I have joined several homeschool groups so I
                  > can learn about it. I am very disappointed with Public school and the
                  > way the handle our kids. My concern is that I don't even know where to
                  > start and now I see your post and it seems and answer to my prayers.
                  >
                  > I have a 20 year old that is currently in Tech and always went to
                  > Public Schools and then I have a 9 year old that just started 04th
                  > grade and has not been adapting very well. What I mean is that he had
                  > always been a mostly A some B student and now he has not been doing
                  > that well. According to the teachers he knows the material but rushed
                  > through his assignments so he can read, or he just wont pay attention.
                  > The funny thing is that when we do homework or just work at home he
                  > does great. Which leads me to think that he needs more individual
                  > attention. I also want to have God as part of his learning journey and
                  > as we know that is not part of regular schooling.
                  >
                  > The issue that I have is that I work full time, I do work 3 days from
                  > home so I am thinking I could do it, but I don;t even know where to
                  > start. I need near the Mall of Georgia and I am not sure if there are
                  > groups that maybe have some kids that they tutor so I could arrange
                  > for the 2 days I go to work. I am thinking that maybe I could leave
                  > the work for him so he can do it.
                  >
                  > The other major issue I have is that my husband doesn't want me to
                  > homeschool, he has in his mind that my son wont get social skills, but
                  > in the last 2 weeks that I have joined all these groups I have
                  > realized that homeschooled kids not only socialize a lot but have the
                  > opportunity to do much more that what regular school kids get to do.
                  >
                  > My plan is if I understand where to start is to start homeschooling
                  > right after winter break and then if it works continue until he
                  > graduates if it doesn't work he would have to continue 5th grade at
                  > his regular school.
                  >
                  > I am open to any ideas as well as guidance as I have no clue on where
                  > to start. I live in Gwinnett County Georgia.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Wendy
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Victoria H
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Hey Wendy,
                    I understand your situation all too well. My oldest daughter is 7 and was having some issues in public school as well and at first my husband wasn't exactly pro homeschooling either. It helped for him to realize that we could always put our children back into public school if that turned out to be the most beneficial. Now that we have agreed to give it a try, on the terms that if it didn't work out after one school year we would let our daughter go back to public school, my husband wouldn't have it any other way. We have watched our children excel above and beyond our expectations. You should talk to your husband and make sure he understands your reasoning for wanting to do this and why you think it's a beneficial decision for your child. You should also explain that his support in doing this is crucial and that you would like for him to have more information before he decides against it completely.
                    Best of Luck,
                    Victoria

                    Wendy Ivanov wrote:

                    > Hi, My name is Wendy and I have joined several homeschool groups so I
                    > can learn about it. I am very disappointed with Public school and the
                    > way the handle our kids. My concern is that I don't even know where to
                    > start and now I see your post and it seems and answer to my prayers.
                    >
                    > I have a 20 year old that is currently in Tech and always went to
                    > Public Schools and then I have a 9 year old that just started 04th
                    > grade and has not been adapting very well. What I mean is that he had
                    > always been a mostly A some B student and now he has not been doing
                    > that well. According to the teachers he knows the material but rushed
                    > through his assignments so he can read, or he just wont pay attention.
                    > The funny thing is that when we do homework or just work at home he
                    > does great. Which leads me to think that he needs more individual
                    > attention. I also want to have God as part of his learning journey and
                    > as we know that is not part of regular schooling.
                    >
                    > The issue that I have is that I work full time, I do work 3 days from
                    > home so I am thinking I could do it, but I don;t even know where to
                    > start. I need near the Mall of Georgia and I am not sure if there are
                    > groups that maybe have some kids that they tutor so I could arrange
                    > for the 2 days I go to work. I am thinking that maybe I could leave
                    > the work for him so he can do it.
                    >
                    > The other major issue I have is that my husband doesn't want me to
                    > homeschool, he has in his mind that my son wont get social skills, but
                    > in the last 2 weeks that I have joined all these groups I have
                    > realized that homeschooled kids not only socialize a lot but have the
                    > opportunity to do much more that what regular school kids get to do.
                    >
                    > My plan is if I understand where to start is to start homeschooling
                    > right after winter break and then if it works continue until he
                    > graduates if it doesn't work he would have to continue 5th grade at
                    > his regular school.
                    >
                    > I am open to any ideas as well as guidance as I have no clue on where
                    > to start. I live in Gwinnett County Georgia.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Wendy
                    >
                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  • k_baize7
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2009
                      Just had to jump in and offer no advice, :)but acknowledge Polly from Winder. My husband grew up in Winder! We are in Missouri now. All of my in-laws are still there, though. We have been homeschooling for ten years now. The oldest went on to college, one graduating this year, two in elementary, and the youngest just started kindergarten. I look forward to the group and pooling resources.

                      Kim Baize

                      --- In Homeschool_Links_and_Forms@yahoogroups.com, Polly Wallis <pollyannawallis@...> wrote:

                      > Welcome Wendy,
                      > You could contact the coop group at First Baptist Sugarhill.  They have classes, I believe on Tuesdays, but I don't know what the time frame is.  I live in Winder, GA. Yahoo has lots of homeschool groups.  Just search for groups in Georgia and you might get some ideas.
                      >> Polly Wallis
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • leigh ann
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                        Welcome Sandra- I have three boys, 8yrs and 2 1/2 yr old twins. I am mainly a reader here, I post very seldom, but I have learned a lot from those who have been there and done that. My oldest is in year one of Ambleside online curriculum that I have tweaked to suit our family. I would love to hear more of what your do for your young ones, especially your 3 yr old. I want to do some things with my little ones, starting out very gently. I mostly want them to play outdoors in nature, but I think a little structure time would not be bad. I had thought about focusing on a color and a shape a month. Starting a nature box with those colors and shapes we find in nature. Anyway, we start Monday.
                        Welcome- sounds like you are off to a great start. I have read a lot about workboxes lately, they sound fun and organized. I like the enevlope idea. You got me thinking...
                        The wonderful thing about homeschooling is its uniqueness. Each family can form their homeschooling on what is best for them and their family. Much luck to you on your journey.

                        Leigh Ann
                        http://www.bareffotcowboys.blogspot.com
                      • SandraModersohn
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 7, 2009
                          Sorry for taking so long to respond to you, Galadriel. Please don't
                          think me antisocial. Life just got in the way!

                          If you do a quick internet search about workboxes, you'll quickly get
                          the idea from peoples blogs about it. It is a wonderful way to organize
                          your day and it allows students to easily see what they need to do
                          through the day. Basically, you set out 12 boxes (or one set of 12
                          boxes for each child) and fill each box with one activity. As they go
                          through their day, they can see how much more they have to do and it is
                          pretty motivational.

                          We use envelopes. And, since my kids are so close in age and are all
                          doing pretty much the same things right now, we use one set of 12 big
                          envelopes. Each envelope has a number fastened to the front with
                          Velcro. When we finish the activity in the envelope, we get to put then
                          number on the chart that is attached to the front of the envelope
                          crate. This way, we can see how far we have come and they just love to
                          get to number 12!

                          You don't have to do 12 things, but it really makes it easy to pull out
                          activities that you otherwise just don't 'find time' to do. Because you
                          get everything together the night before and all the materials are
                          organized for you when you start, the day goes so smoothly that you
                          actually gain extra instruction time! My three year old started reading
                          last week. And I know that if I wasn't doing these envelopes, I would
                          never have 'found the time' to help her find her way this easily,
                          quickly, and painlessly.

                          I find it to be a great, low stress approach to organizing the day.

                          If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to share what we use in the
                          envelopes each day ( I know that when I started I thought 12 activities
                          was a lot to come up with everyday!) and I'd love to hear if anyone else
                          out there uses this method.

                          Sandie

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 7, 2009
                            Leigh,

                            I know my little one thrives on this system we're working with. Her
                            sisters are a year ahead of her, so I like to make games where their
                            skills can be worked but I can change the rules a little so my 3yo can
                            play too. For example, we play a game where we take turns choosing a
                            letter tile from a bin and then we have to come up with a word that
                            starts with that letter. My 3yo started out by just telling me the name
                            of the letter. Now she has to tell me the name and the sound it makes.
                            Today, she came up with her first word, just like her sisters.

                            As far as colors and shapes go, we just talk about everything all the
                            time. I never spent time on a particular color, other than to maybe
                            make it a "red day" where we find all the red things in the
                            neighborhood. You could do that with shapes too. When we have to wait
                            in line somewhere, like at the grocery store, we often play games. You
                            could have them find things shaped like triangles or things that are the
                            color green etc. We play it with letters, or we find things that are in
                            groups of 3, etc.

                            Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement. I'm so grateful
                            to have found a group to share the journey with!

                            Sandie