Hi - New member from New Zealand

  • Hilary
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2004
      Hello all -

      I was so glad on my browse thru Yahoo groups tonight to find this
      group. I'm Hilary, and I have a nearly 11 yr oldl son Daniel, and a
      2 and a bit son Flynn. I have onyl just begun homeschooling
      Daniel, he has been attending a Steiner School, and has been asking
      me for years to h/school him. I finally felt like I had
      the 'headspace' and the courage to say yes this year. So, hehas
      been out of school for the past 3 months. We are **slowly** finding
      our way together in this new life. We actually have done absolutely
      ZERO formal educating so far... I felt like he just needed a break
      or a detox from school, but now he is feeling bored and he needs
      more... and yet he seems resistant to things I suggest. I am
      starting to feel niggly inside myself toward him sometimes, an I
      hate feeling this way .... I guess I am adjustign to this new life
      too - and it feels hard to suddenly be responsible for my sons
      education!!! Its a big thing!! WOW!!!
      I guess I have tended to sway more into the unschoolers territory,
      and yet I know I need to be actually feeding him more than I am
      (don't i??). I guess I am feeling a bit lost just at the moment.

      Daniel has huge problems with writing - suspect dysgraphia (very
      highreading level however) and so its real hard to get him to do any
      drawing or written work.

      Looking forward to learning here,
      Warm regards,
      Hilary

      PS: you might like to check out my website - www.labouroflove.org
    • Tammy Baco
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2004
        Welcome. One of the really cool things about the net is meeting people from all over the world. We live in the states, Florida. I have 3 daughters ages 11,9, and 5.
        I don't know what the laws are in New Zealand but if you can unschool him I say go for it! I don't unschool my dd's but that is becasue my hubby doesn't agree with it so we tend to lean towards Charlotte Mason method.
        Ask him what he is interested in...cars, weather, volcanos, ...whatever...and then find books together about that, do experiments if you can. Drawings. Look up info on the net. Make models of the stuff he likes. Cook things together. Read out loud to both of your sons everyday. Let them ( even the 2 yo) choose books and you choose sometimes also. Go for walks in the woods or beach or wherever you can. Go to museums.
        Tammy

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Trinidad Ramirez
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
          Hi Hilary,

          I too hs my boys in a unschooling type of way. But
          right now they're learning painting (walls and such),
          collecting insects and reading classics like Tom
          Sawyer. They are 9 and 14 and we just moved almost
          across the United States from California to Tennessee.
          This is a big change of environment for us and a
          learning experience as well in itself. This is our
          4th year and we're not doing anything on a daily
          basis; my 9 year old did learn to read a couple of
          years ago pretty much on his own within a couple of
          weeks. Now he wants to learn cursive and we are
          planning to do Math U See and IEW (Institute for
          Excellence in Writing). My mom is always comparing
          them to my sister's kids who are also hs'd. Their
          parents use Abeka exclusively. The oldest son
          couldn't adjust to it so he's in public school now. I
          don't knock Abeka but they want the kids to conform to
          the curriculum not vice versa. Anyway, maybe your son
          would like music lessons or something even like
          archery. He can learn responsibility and
          accountability and be proud of his accomplishments.
          Or maybe see what hs groups are in your area and check
          them out. Good luck and fun journey.

          Trini in TN

          --- Hilary <hilary@...> wrote:

          > Hello all -
          >
          > I was so glad on my browse thru Yahoo groups tonight
          > to find this
          > group. I'm Hilary, and I have a nearly 11 yr oldl
          > son Daniel, and a
          > 2 and a bit son Flynn. I have onyl just begun
          > homeschooling
          > Daniel, he has been attending a Steiner School, and
          > has been asking
          > me for years to h/school him. I finally felt like I
          > had
          > the 'headspace' and the courage to say yes this
          > year. So, hehas
          > been out of school for the past 3 months. We are
          > **slowly** finding
          > our way together in this new life. We actually have
          > done absolutely
          > ZERO formal educating so far... I felt like he just
          > needed a break
          > or a detox from school, but now he is feeling bored
          > and he needs
          > more... and yet he seems resistant to things I
          > suggest. I am
          > starting to feel niggly inside myself toward him
          > sometimes, an I
          > hate feeling this way .... I guess I am adjustign to
          > this new life
          > too - and it feels hard to suddenly be responsible
          > for my sons
          > education!!! Its a big thing!! WOW!!!
          > I guess I have tended to sway more into the
          > unschoolers territory,
          > and yet I know I need to be actually feeding him
          > more than I am
          > (don't i??). I guess I am feeling a bit lost just at
          > the moment.
          >
          > Daniel has huge problems with writing - suspect
          > dysgraphia (very
          > highreading level however) and so its real hard to
          > get him to do any
          > drawing or written work.
          >
          > Looking forward to learning here,
          > Warm regards,
          > Hilary
          >
          > PS: you might like to check out my website -
          > www.labouroflove.org

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tammy Baco
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
            I don't like Abeka curric. It's sooo public school, seatwork busywork. UGH. I do like the science books and the history but only for reference.
            Tammy

            --- Hilary <hilary@...> wrote:

            > Hello all -
            >
            > I was so glad on my browse thru Yahoo groups tonight
            > to find this
            > group. I'm Hilary, and I have a nearly 11 yr oldl
            > son Daniel, and a
            > 2 and a bit son Flynn. I have onyl just begun
            > homeschooling
            > Daniel, he has been attending a Steiner School, and
            > has been asking
            > me for years to h/school him. I finally felt like I
            > had
            > the 'headspace' and the courage to say yes this
            > year. So, hehas
            > been out of school for the past 3 months. We are
            > **slowly** finding
            > our way together in this new life. We actually have
            > done absolutely
            > ZERO formal educating so far... I felt like he just
            > needed a break
            > or a detox from school, but now he is feeling bored
            > and he needs
            > more... and yet he seems resistant to things I
            > suggest. I am
            > starting to feel niggly inside myself toward him
            > sometimes, an I
            > hate feeling this way .... I guess I am adjustign to
            > this new life
            > too - and it feels hard to suddenly be responsible
            > for my sons
            > education!!! Its a big thing!! WOW!!!
            > I guess I have tended to sway more into the
            > unschoolers territory,
            > and yet I know I need to be actually feeding him
            > more than I am
            > (don't i??). I guess I am feeling a bit lost just at
            > the moment.
            >
            > Daniel has huge problems with writing - suspect
            > dysgraphia (very
            > highreading level however) and so its real hard to
            > get him to do any
            > drawing or written work.
            >
            > Looking forward to learning here,
            > Warm regards,
            > Hilary
            >
            > PS: you might like to check out my website -
            > www.labouroflove.org

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor