3421RE: Mini Art for Educational purposes?

  • handmadeheritage
    Oct 30, 2013

      Kathie, I love the idea of sets! Like for history, one ATC has clip art of Patrick Henry another has "Give me Liberty or Give me Death." The kids can keep them for trading after they've played a match-up game with them for a few weeks. How totally fun it would be to find another co-op for instance on the same topic as your co-op class and trade similar themed cards. But I guess I'm just dreaming now. :-) Melissa, it would be fun to create a whole bunch of ATCs about a country you're studying. I also thought of make ID ATCs of leaves (and also to label different botanical features of leaves, like different veination or leaf edges) when we were collecting fall leaves for preserving this week.

      btw, way off topic, but I just learned after 17 years of pressing leaves with my daughters, painting Modge Podge on the preserved leaves restores their color and makes them pliable again, so they're not brittle. We tried it out and loved the results.

      Michelle

      ---In homeschool_links_and_forms@yahoogroups.com, <mphin278@...> wrote:

      I love this idea, and did try it out.  When my daughter was studying ducks I made a swap for Duck themed ATCs, etc.  Basically pick a fact and create a card around it (species, behavior, etc.).  There wasn't much interest so I haven't tried again, though right now we're focusing on France so that would be a fun one I think!

      Melissa

      ---In homeschool_links_and_forms@yahoogroups.com, <kjfm99@...> wrote:

      theme them,  History should be easy, science too.  Make sets that go with the topic, you can find clip art and sayings from the earliest times to current affairs.    States and capitals,  lots of ideas come to mind, and sharing is totally a great idea!  English you could do parts of speech,

      Kathie

      Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2013 8:24 AM
      Subject: [Homeschool_Links_and_Forms] Mini Art for Educational purposes?

      I know a few of us on here were talking about ATCs a while back. ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) are 2.5 x 3.5" trading cards, the size of baseball cards, that kids make themselves and trade with others. I'm wondering if anyone has used them for educational purposes?

      My daughters have enjoyed them for years and we even had a monthly club of fellow homeschoolers who met in our home and made and traded together for a few hours once a month last school year. But I'm wondering about all the many ways I could use them educationally as well and was hoping someone else has done so. I have encouraged my daughters to make a card about something we've learned occasionally, such as the day we ID'd a wild flower in our backyard, my daughter and I both made ATCs of the flower. (I included some facts we learned about the wildflower on my ATC, which I gave to my daughter. I'm attaching a picture, but not sure if I'm doing that right.)

      (I know teachers in traditional classrooms make and trade with other classrooms across the country or around the world, and I'm wondering if they do this solely as a geography lesson or if they might incorporate other lessons as well.)

      Here's an article that was in Family Fun a few years ago about ATCs (this article is actually where we first heard of them): http://spoonful.com/crafts/artist-trading-cards

      Any thoughts or ideas you have, I'd love to hear them.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic