Re: newbie::Sorry but what is EDM?

  • mikegw20
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
      > Yes it is electrodynamc milling.
      [snip]

      > I've seen a few machines in a factory and was intrigued by it ever
      since.

      Now that sounds like fun. I wonder how much interference it causes.
      As I live under/near a flight path it might be handy to know.

      Do you have any links of homebrew setups/schematics/designs/accident
      reports?

      Cheers

      Mike
    • Bengt Sjölund
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
        EDM = Electrical Discharge Machining

        Google for EDM and you will find more information

        Cheers
        Bengt

      • Stefan Trethan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
          On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:20:09 +0200, Bengt Sjölund <bengt@...> wrote:

          > EDM = Electrical Discharge Machining
          > Google for EDM and you will find more information
          > Cheers
          > Bengt

          of course, what was i thinking with that dynamic...

          ST
        • Stefan Trethan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
            On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:40:06 +0200, mikegw20 <mikegw20@...> wrote:

            > Now that sounds like fun. I wonder how much interference it causes.
            > As I live under/near a flight path it might be handy to know.
            > Do you have any links of homebrew setups/schematics/designs/accident
            > reports?
            > Cheers
            > Mike

            I don't think it is an issue.
            Think about arc welding, you use a lot more current there.

            ST
          • JanRwl@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
              In a message dated 7/1/2005 3:46:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              mikegw20@... writes:

              Yes it is electrodynamc milling.

              How 'bout "Electricity Destroying Metal"???

            • lcdpublishing
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
                Good one! I like that. Within industry, the metal cutting guys
                have a bit of fun with the EDM guys. The Wire EDM machines look
                much like a sewing machine so of course, the metal cutting guys
                refer to them as such.

                In metal cutting, we have HORSEPOWER and BLUE-HOT chips,
                EDMs have amps and swarf

                In metal cutting, we have FLOOD COOLANT to cool the tool
                EDMs have flushing (sounds silly).

                In Metal cutting, we have LARGE CARBIDE TOOLS,
                EDMs use thin brass wire (for wire machines)

                In Metal cutting, we have BIG VICES AND CLAMPS
                EDMs have "Glue stops"

                Metal cutting guys remove CUBIC INCHES PER MINUTE of metal
                EDMs remove microns per minute

                And so on.....

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
                  On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:51:31 +0200, <JanRwl@...> wrote:

                  > Yes it is electrodynamc milling.
                  > How 'bout "Electricity Destroying Metal"???

                  No it's really electric discharge machining, we established that fact a
                  few posts ago ;-)

                  Tho i like your version too... or maybe "Electric Detonations Making my
                  pcbs.".

                  ST
                • lcdpublishing
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
                    No silly, that would have to be EDMmPCB

                    :-)

                    > Tho i like your version too... or maybe "Electric Detonations Making
                    my
                    > pcbs.".
                    >
                    > ST
                  • Stefan Trethan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
                      On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:32:30 +0200, lcdpublishing
                      <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

                      > No silly, that would have to be EDMmPCB

                      well, it got abbrevated again.

                      ST
                    • Robert Hedan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
                        "How 'bout "Electricity Destroying Metal"???"

                        In my case it's more Electricity Distorting Metal...

                        Robert
                        :D

                        Be sure to visit the group home and check for new Links, Files, and Photos:

                        If Files or Photos are running short of space, post them here:
                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • ramamurthy3030
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 7, 2005
                          I read it to be Electrical Discharge Machining.
                          http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/edm.html

                          Regards,
                          S.Ramamurthy

                          --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
                          <stefan_trethan@g...> wrote:
                          > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 06:48:17 +0200, mikegw20 <mikegw20@h...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > EDM? I had a quick search in the messages and I get the feeling
                          it is
                          > > some sort of electrode ablative process. Does someone have a
                          link or
                          > > two that spells it out so I don't have to pester you with silly
                          > > questions.
                          > > Thanks
                          > > Mike
                          >

                          > Yes it is electrodynamc milling.
                          > Basically a series of sparks eordes the workpiece.
                          >
                          > It is done under a fluid (water or special oil), and there are
                          many
                          > different methods (wire EDM, sinking, ...).
                          >
                          > The advantage over mechanical milling would be way better
                          resolution, no
                          > expensive cutters to buy that dull quickly.
                          > No cutting into the epoxy, the result wold look just like
                          chemically
                          > etched.
                          >
                          > I've seen a few machines in a factory and was intrigued by it ever
                          since.

                          > ST
                        • Stefan Trethan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 7, 2005
                            On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:58:16 +0200, ramamurthy3030
                            <ramamurthy3030@...> wrote:

                            > I read it to be Electrical Discharge Machining.
                            > http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/edm.html
                            > Regards,
                            > S.Ramamurthy

                            Yes you are right. my mistake was corrected back then.

                            ST