pcb headers and sockets?

  • tomg@fullnet.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
      If this is too far off-topic, let me know (and, if possible, point me
      to a more-appropriate group).

      I am re-designing some pcbs, to make the equipment they're in easier
      to manufacture, and service or upgrade.

      The pcbs currently have quite a few wires that are soldered directly
      to them, that go to front-panel controls (and to other pcbs).

      The wires to all of the front-panel controls are also soldered
      directly to the solder lugs of the controls (switches, pots, etc).

      To make manufacturing and service/maintenance/upgrading faster and
      easier, I think that ALL of the wire connections to the pcbs should
      use removable connectors, such as pin headers on the boards and crimp
      sockets on the wires. Also, where desirable and logical, I think
      that sets of multiple individual wires should be replaced with ribbon
      cables, with appropriate headers and sockets.

      To make this possible, I think that I will have to re-design the
      front panel controls, to use a pcb behind the front panel, changing
      all of the controls from solder-lug types to pcb-mount types. That
      way, I can use headers, sockets, ribbon cables, etc, to connect the
      existing pcbs to the front panel controls (via headers on the new
      front-panel-interface pcb).

      Here's where I would like some help:

      I am not very familiar with the vast majority of the myriad different
      types of wire-to-board (and board-to-board) connector systems that
      are available. There seem to be *zillions* of different ones. And the
      catalogs, and even the manufacturers' websites, seem to assume that I
      already know how they're assembled and installed, etc. But THAT'S
      what I'm trying to find out, so I can decide which ones would be
      convenient and cost-effective to put into the design.

      So: Does anybody have any "favorite" makes and models of wire-to-
      board (or board-to-board) connectors? (They need to be able to handle
      at least 1.5 Amps and up to at least 15 V DC. And they need to be
      easy and cheap to assemble.) Or any least favorites?

      What I was also HOPING to find was someplace that sells ready-made
      ribbon-cable types of assemblies, in short lengths (4 to 6 inches),
      with versions having 2, 4, and 6 conductors, with connectors already
      installed on both ends. I have looked long and hard and can only find
      standard computer-type cables that are ready-made (i.e. either way
      too many conductors, or way too long).

      Anybody?

      Regards,

      Tom Gootee

      http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg

      -----------------------------
    • Jeremy Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
        I use AMP MTA connectors, But to do lots of them, you want either an air powered tool, or the pistol grip/head combo. The pieces themselves are economical.
        I also use AMP flexstrip ribbons to connect a front panel, Available from 2 to 20 contacts in .1 or .05 spacing , but Mouser only lists up to 4 inches, (I only use 1) - that may not be long enough for you. They also seem to be " luxury" priced for the convenience they offer It's cheaper to by 20's and split off the wires you need.

        Molex also offers bunches of solutions.

        www.mouser.com
        Search for AMP MTA and Molex K.K.

        JT
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Stefan Trethan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
          You can go to electronics_101 buit IMO it is not too far off here.
          Connectors...
          1.5A as you require is already a lot, i'd suggest rethinking where
          you need that much. For 1.5A screw terminals seem better than
          the 0.64mm square pins, they are not designed for current.
          There are scew terminals which come with a pin strip for the board, on
          which
          they plug onto. (so you needn't undo the screws).
          If you can get them "floppy" type connectors (the small 3.5" floppy type)
          are also good. they carry 2.5A and have bigger pins than 0.64mm headers.
          <http://www.elcomp.at/Sit-Grup/Gr10/10-05-04C-Floppy-LeiterplAnschl-PSL.htm>
          see he also has cables (i assume no use to you as he is in Austria).

          If you want to use the 0.64mm headers you can get either ribbon-cable
          connectors or, especially for low pin numbers, there are plug housings
          where separate crimp connectors fit in (you know them from the PC, like
          the speaker, reset etc...). I have a hard time to find a source for these
          connectors.

          ST

        • Leon Heller
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004

            > So: Does anybody have any "favorite" makes and models of wire-to-
            > board (or board-to-board) connectors? (They need to be able to handle
            > at least 1.5 Amps and up to at least 15 V DC. And they need to be
            > easy and cheap to assemble.) Or any least favorites?

            I use Molex 0.1" KK series connectors, they are cheap and very reliable. The
            Molex crimp tool for the terminals is expensive, but alternatives are
            available for under 20 GBP. They can be attached with pliers and then
            soldered, but tend to break when the wire is flexed.

            Leon