RE: [Homebrew_PCBs] Re: Software Recommendations

  • Anthony Toft
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2004
      > decide. I really like the idea of printing the traces with my printer,
      > making a negative, and exposing and etching my own boards.

      PCBExpress can't do this directly, they add a grey background and dots
      to the printout to prevent it. You can futz with the image and remove
      this but it's a pain, especially as you don't have the elements that
      make more complex boards more simple. Like transferring netlists, (most
      useful) the DRC (pretty useful for double checking your work) and
      autorouting (quite useful to get you quickly to 90% done)

      I switched from PCBExpress to Eagle and never looked back (except to
      transcribe some older projects) yes the user interface is a bit klunky
      but it's livable with

      --
      Anthony Toft <toftat@...>
    • Dave Mucha
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2004
        --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Toft <toftat@c...>
        wrote:
        > > decide. I really like the idea of printing the traces with my
        printer,
        > > making a negative, and exposing and etching my own boards.
        >
        > PCBExpress can't do this directly, they add a grey background and
        dots
        > to the printout to prevent it. You can futz with the image and
        remove
        > this but it's a pain, especially as you don't have the elements that
        > make more complex boards more simple. Like transferring netlists,
        (most
        > useful) the DRC (pretty useful for double checking your work) and
        > autorouting (quite useful to get you quickly to 90% done)
        >
        > I switched from PCBExpress to Eagle and never looked back (except to
        > transcribe some older projects) yes the user interface is a bit
        klunky
        > but it's livable with
        >
        > --
        > Anthony Toft <toftat@c...>

        Anthony is correct.

        Express only offers a simple output and even if you bring it into
        PAINT and remove all the dots and get a picture that looks like a
        board, it will not have the exact pin hole layout.

        If you plan on going the Toner Transfer route, you would be well
        served to use one of the free versons of the softwar or just do it in
        your cad program.

        Dave
      • Phil
        Message 3 of 22 , May 1, 2004
          re. negative images - If you can output gerbers, you can get almost
          any manipulation of the impage you want via the various gerber
          utils. I wouldn't bother with a layout package that cant do that.

          I am an Eagle user, Its powerful, I like it and have gotten used to
          the interface but it is *very* non-intuitive, especially if you are
          used to using Windows Software. Every command is a little different
          (some do right click, some dont, for example) and some operations are
          a lot more complex than they need to be (move multiple objects
          and "clip board" operations, for examples). But the free package is
          quite capable and worth spending the time to learn.

          Phil
        • Leon Heller
          Message 4 of 22 , May 1, 2004
            Message 5 of 22 , May 1, 2004
              > On a more serious note, though, does OrCAD offer a student discount?

              The student version is free... however its limited to the number of parts,
              and I don't think you get the autorouter. At least it used to be that way.

              Ron