RE: [Homebrew_PCBs] Re: etching the OD of a cylinder to create a graduated dial

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 22, 2013
      Jim,

      Looks like a fun machine but a bit too complex compared to contact printing
      and chemical etching.

      Rick

      Message 65 of 65 , Mar 26, 2013
        Here is an update of my progress:

        The spray on (negative type) photo resist and developer will arrive on
        Thursday. In the mean time, I took some nominally 1.125 " diameter copper
        pipe and cut off a 1/2" piece. Then I turned some cold rolled steel down for
        an interference fit. I left a shoulder on the steel. I was then able to
        force fit the soft copper onto the steel using my bench vise. Then I put the
        assembly back on the lathe to true it all up and drill a center hole. My
        finished outside diameter of 1.125" means my scale must be 3.545" long.

        I then drew a 6" line with my CAD program and printed it out. To my
        surprise, the printed line was 6.000" so no correction factor is needed. I
        then drew a simple scale with 10 segments and 4 small tick marks per
        segment. I also put numbers to the right of each segment line. After
        printing out, I taped it to the OD of the copper and it was a perfect fit.

        So next I will print it out on clear plastic, trim the excess, and wait for
        the chemicals. If I understand the term "negative type" correctly, what is
        black on the artwork will be copper free after etch. If true, that sure
        saves toner.

        Rick