Re: FR4 cutting?

  • engmstevens@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1, 2012
      Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I made a few phone calls to some local guys in the maker scene and theyve all pointed me to something like this

      http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200309554_200309554

      I was originally hesitant but I had a chance to see how the edges come out and I was somewhat content with how they look.
      Honestly, after comparing this tool to a true "PCB shear", I can't really tell the difference.

      I think Ill check harbor freight online or some places locally in dallas.

      --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "sheldon_mp_cooper" <bigbazinga@...> wrote:

      > I second that. That's exactly what I've been using. For a guide line for cutting with a straight cut aviation tin snip, I show the board outline in the Eagle image export used for etching.
      >
      > --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "leeleduc" <leeleduc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I use 0.031" instead of 0.062" FR4 for hobby use. It's much easier to work with. I can cut it cleanly with a paper trimmer or with sheet metal shears. I use the toner transfer method and this thickness works well with my laminator, no mods needed. I also find that my drill bits last longer. At first I was concerned about the board flexing but this was not a problem at all. Give it a try.
      > >
      > > --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "engmstevens@" <engmstevens@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've been reviewing options for PCB cutting and my options are limited by the fact that I live in an apartment with no garage, so power tools are out of the question.
      > > >
      > > > I've looked into guillotines and brakes, hacksaws (fiberglass dust sucks), score and snap, and any other option i can think of but I can't really decide. Has anyone had any kind of real success with any of these?
      > > >
      > > > Hacksaw would obviously be the choice of inexpensive and easy but I'll be damned if I can cut a straight line. I always have to go back over with a file to clean the edges. Score and snap took forever. I've seen videos of people using 6 or 8" inch sheet metal brakes but never got any feedback when I sent them PMs regarding blade life.

    • sheldon_mp_cooper
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 2, 2012
        I did a Google search and found this exchange:

        Easiest way to cut PCB's? (with no dust issues)

        http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/62929-easiest-way-cut-pcbs-4.html

        ----------

        Post:

        Tile wet saw. You can get small cheap ones where the blade runs through a water bath, no pump, and eliminates dust. A continuous rim tile blade may not be optimum but a segmented blade or turbo style blade should do well. You can get cheap Chinese variants of these blades that would be fine for circuit board. Look for a blade that states it's for concrete or granite. You can get them cheaply in the 3 to 4 inch size that fits one of these cheap $50 saws.

        Response:

        Now THAT makes sense.

        ----------

        And since you mentioned Harbor Freight:

        4" Tile Saw with Wet Tray

        http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-tile-saw-with-wet-tray-3733.html

        --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "engmstevens@..." <engmstevens@...> wrote:

        > Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I made a few phone calls to some local guys in the maker scene and theyve all pointed me to something like this
        >
        > http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200309554_200309554
        >
        > I was originally hesitant but I had a chance to see how the edges come out and I was somewhat content with how they look.
        > Honestly, after comparing this tool to a true "PCB shear", I can't really tell the difference.
        >
        > I think Ill check harbor freight online or some places locally in dallas.
        >
        > --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "sheldon_mp_cooper" <bigbazinga@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I second that. That's exactly what I've been using. For a guide line for cutting with a straight cut aviation tin snip, I show the board outline in the Eagle image export used for etching.
        > >
        > > --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "leeleduc" <leeleduc@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I use 0.031" instead of 0.062" FR4 for hobby use. It's much easier to work with. I can cut it cleanly with a paper trimmer or with sheet metal shears. I use the toner transfer method and this thickness works well with my laminator, no mods needed. I also find that my drill bits last longer. At first I was concerned about the board flexing but this was not a problem at all. Give it a try.

      • Simao Cardoso
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 2, 2012
          engmstevens@... wrote:

          > I've been reviewing options for PCB cutting and my options are limited
          > by the fact that I live in an apartment with no garage, so power tools
          > are out of the question.

          I personally recommend 3 tools:
          a carbide scriber like
          http://www.amazon.com/Carbide-Metalsmith-Scribe-Marking-Tools/dp/B000SV7EYQ/ref=sr_1_5?qid=1333403310
          a longest blade strong scissor you can find like
          http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HT
          +SNIPS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=14-566
          The third is just a hard and thick sandpaper glued on a flat wood piece.

          I have the exact tools on shown pictures, payed 20eur for them locally
          and they are really great. I had cut large >1m wide panels down to my
          needs with them, easy and fast. With the sand paper it's possible to
          give a nice finish, the dust don't go up in the air and can be vacuum
          cleaned from the sandpaper.

          If you have a bit more money to spend, buy a cheap CNC driller and
          router and order your pcb panels cut to the table size.

          PS: I have now found a even better scissor
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stanley-Aviation-Snip-Long-Cut-2-14-566-/190505892563
          Anyone wants mine? :(
        • D
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 8, 2012
            Hi,

            --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "engmstevens@..." <engmstevens@...> wrote:

            > I think Ill check harbor freight online or some places locally in dallas.

            I use an 8" sheet metal sheer from Harbor Freight and I'm happy with the results. It cost around $125.

            BR,
            Dennis
          • Robert Jones
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
              What is the catalog no or product name of the sheet metal cutter on Harbor Freights website?

              Thanks

              ________________________________
              > I think Ill check harbor freight online or some places locally in dallas.

              I use an 8" sheet metal sheer from Harbor Freight and I'm happy with the results. It cost around $125.

              BR,
              Dennis

            • Erik Knise
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
                Item # 90757 - http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-bench-top-shear-brake-90757.html

                It sure has gone up in price in the last few years...Grizzly's is way
                cheaper. http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Mini-Shear-Brake/T23109

                Something like http://www.grizzly.com/products/Plate-Shear-8-/T23100
                is about 1/2 the price and should yield similar results.

                --
                Erik L. Knise
                Seattle, WA

                On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Robert Jones <olmanjones@...> wrote:
                > What is the catalog no or product name of the sheet metal cutter on Harbor Freights website?
                >
                > Thanks
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Stefan Trethan
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
                  I use a lever shear just like this.
                  For the best edge I have shimmed the blades closer together with paper strips.

                  Cutting boards longer than the blade requires some force, because the
                  shear tends to pull to one side and you need to steer against, but it
                  is quite possible.

                  I usually clean the edges on some sandpaper to remove any loose fibers.

                  ST

                  On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM, engmstevens@...
                  <engmstevens@...> wrote:
                  > Thank you everyone for the recommendations.  I made a few phone calls to some local guys in the maker scene and theyve all pointed me to something like this
                  >
                  > http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200309554_200309554
                  >
                  > I was originally hesitant but I had a chance to see how the edges come out and I was somewhat content with how they look.
                  > Honestly, after comparing this tool to a true "PCB shear", I can't really tell the difference.
                  >
                  > I think Ill check harbor freight online or some places locally in dallas.

                • waynehcausey
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
                    Which is better for FR4 cutting: Shear or Shear/Brake?

                    --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Erik Knise <elknise@...> wrote:

                    > Item # 90757 - http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-bench-top-shear-brake-90757.html
                    >
                    > It sure has gone up in price in the last few years...Grizzly's is way
                    > cheaper. http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Mini-Shear-Brake/T23109
                    >
                    > Something like http://www.grizzly.com/products/Plate-Shear-8-/T23100
                    > is about 1/2 the price and should yield similar results.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Erik L. Knise
                    > Seattle, WA
                    >

                    > On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Robert Jones <olmanjones@...> wrote:
                    > > What is the catalog no or product name of the sheet metal cutter on Harbor Freights website?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • Harvey White
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
                      On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:05:42 -0000, you wrote:

                      >Which is better for FR4 cutting: Shear or Shear/Brake?

                      No real difference. I have a shear/brake combination, and the brake
                      is not used for FR4. Mostly a matter of cost for you. Mine is a 30
                      inch, gotten on sale, and I have used the shear, brake, and roll
                      features.

                      Harvey

                      >--- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Erik Knise <elknise@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Item # 90757 - http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-bench-top-shear-brake-90757.html
                      >>
                      >> It sure has gone up in price in the last few years...Grizzly's is way
                      >> cheaper. http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Mini-Shear-Brake/T23109
                      >>
                      >> Something like http://www.grizzly.com/products/Plate-Shear-8-/T23100
                      >> is about 1/2 the price and should yield similar results.
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> Erik L. Knise
                      >> Seattle, WA
                      >>

                      >> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Robert Jones <olmanjones@...> wrote:
                      >> > What is the catalog no or product name of the sheet metal cutter on Harbor Freights website?
                      >> >
                      >> > Thanks
                      >> >

                      >> > ________________________________

                    • waynehcausey
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
                        Harvey, thanks for the info.

                        I am wandering if the Griggly 8" mini shear/brake would be easier on coated PCB than the shear?

                        Will the shear/brake make straight cuts better than the the shear?

                        Does anyone have experience with both?

                        Wayne

                        --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:05:42 -0000, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >Which is better for FR4 cutting: Shear or Shear/Brake?
                        >
                        > No real difference. I have a shear/brake combination, and the brake
                        > is not used for FR4. Mostly a matter of cost for you. Mine is a 30
                        > inch, gotten on sale, and I have used the shear, brake, and roll
                        > features.
                        >
                        > Harvey
                        >

                        > >--- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Erik Knise <elknise@> wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> Item # 90757 - http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-bench-top-shear-brake-90757.html
                        > >>
                        > >> It sure has gone up in price in the last few years...Grizzly's is way
                        > >> cheaper. http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Mini-Shear-Brake/T23109
                        > >>
                        > >> Something like http://www.grizzly.com/products/Plate-Shear-8-/T23100
                        > >> is about 1/2 the price and should yield similar results.
                        > >>
                        > >> --
                        > >> Erik L. Knise
                        > >> Seattle, WA

                      • Erik Knise
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
                          Wayne,

                          I have used a variety of shears. The dedicated ones tend to be larger
                          and have a larger capacity. The combo machines usually have a smaller
                          capacity but are still great for light and/or intricate work. The
                          little 8 inch guy is rated for 22 gauge steel which is roughly .03"
                          thick. It will probably cut thicker steel but the blades won't last
                          very long. PCB's in my experience cut pretty easily. They are
                          dense/rigid but not hard enough to destroy most blades. Dull them
                          yes, but not destroy them like cutting thick metal does. A plate
                          sheer is going to give you more capacity if you are using boards up to
                          .125" thick but normal .060-.015 boards should cut fine with the 8
                          inch shear or tin snips. Most of us use ~.030 inch boards anyways.

                          As for the straightness of the cut they will be equal. The brake
                          portion is for bending metal. That could be handy if you want to try
                          to make your own heatsinks or cases. Most guillotine style shears
                          have an in feed table to support the work which would make it easier
                          to use than a plate sheer. A table would be relatively easy to add to
                          either style.

                          --
                          Erik L. Knise
                          Seattle, WA

                          On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM, waynehcausey
                          <wayne.causey@...> wrote:
                          > Harvey, thanks for the info.
                          >
                          > I am wandering if the Griggly 8" mini shear/brake would be easier on coated PCB than the shear?
                          >
                          > Will the shear/brake make straight cuts better than the the shear?
                          >
                          > Does anyone have experience with both?
                          >
                          > Wayne
                        • Shannon Haworth
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
                            I would chime in here and agree that a break is useful if you decide to
                            bend metal as well as cut PCB boards. For PCB cutting, it is irrelevant.
                            Neither a pro or a con.

                            On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Erik Knise <elknise@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Wayne,
                            >
                            > I have used a variety of shears. The dedicated ones tend to be larger
                            > and have a larger capacity. The combo machines usually have a smaller
                            > capacity but are still great for light and/or intricate work. The
                            > little 8 inch guy is rated for 22 gauge steel which is roughly .03"
                            > thick. It will probably cut thicker steel but the blades won't last
                            > very long. PCB's in my experience cut pretty easily. They are
                            > dense/rigid but not hard enough to destroy most blades. Dull them
                            > yes, but not destroy them like cutting thick metal does. A plate
                            > sheer is going to give you more capacity if you are using boards up to
                            > .125" thick but normal .060-.015 boards should cut fine with the 8
                            > inch shear or tin snips. Most of us use ~.030 inch boards anyways.
                            >
                            > As for the straightness of the cut they will be equal. The brake
                            > portion is for bending metal. That could be handy if you want to try
                            > to make your own heatsinks or cases. Most guillotine style shears
                            > have an in feed table to support the work which would make it easier
                            > to use than a plate sheer. A table would be relatively easy to add to
                            > either style.
                            >

                            > --
                            > Erik L. Knise
                            > Seattle, WA
                            >
                            > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM, waynehcausey
                            > <wayne.causey@...> wrote:
                            > > Harvey, thanks for the info.
                            > >
                            > > I am wandering if the Griggly 8" mini shear/brake would be easier on
                            > coated PCB than the shear?
                            > >
                            > > Will the shear/brake make straight cuts better than the the shear?
                            > >
                            > > Does anyone have experience with both?
                            > >
                            > > Wayne

                          • waynehcausey
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
                              Erik, Shannon;

                              Thanks for comments. I will opt for the shear/brake from Grizzly.

                              Wayne

                              --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Haworth <shannon.haworth@...> wrote:

                              > I would chime in here and agree that a break is useful if you decide to
                              > bend metal as well as cut PCB boards. For PCB cutting, it is irrelevant.
                              > Neither a pro or a con.
                              >
                              > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Erik Knise <elknise@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Wayne,
                              > >
                              > > I have used a variety of shears. The dedicated ones tend to be larger
                              > > and have a larger capacity. The combo machines usually have a smaller
                              > > capacity but are still great for light and/or intricate work. The
                              > > little 8 inch guy is rated for 22 gauge steel which is roughly .03"
                              > > thick. It will probably cut thicker steel but the blades won't last
                              > > very long. PCB's in my experience cut pretty easily. They are
                              > > dense/rigid but not hard enough to destroy most blades. Dull them
                              > > yes, but not destroy them like cutting thick metal does. A plate
                              > > sheer is going to give you more capacity if you are using boards up to
                              > > .125" thick but normal .060-.015 boards should cut fine with the 8
                              > > inch shear or tin snips. Most of us use ~.030 inch boards anyways.
                              > >
                              > > As for the straightness of the cut they will be equal. The brake
                              > > portion is for bending metal. That could be handy if you want to try
                              > > to make your own heatsinks or cases. Most guillotine style shears
                              > > have an in feed table to support the work which would make it easier
                              > > to use than a plate sheer. A table would be relatively easy to add to
                              > > either style.
                              > >

                              > > --
                              > > Erik L. Knise
                              > > Seattle, WA
                              > >
                              > > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM, waynehcausey
                              > > <wayne.causey@...> wrote:
                              > > > Harvey, thanks for the info.
                              > > >
                              > > > I am wandering if the Griggly 8" mini shear/brake would be easier on
                              > > coated PCB than the shear?
                              > > >
                              > > > Will the shear/brake make straight cuts better than the the shear?
                              > > >
                              > > > Does anyone have experience with both?
                              > > >
                              > > > Wayne

                            • Harvey White
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
                                On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:42:34 -0000, you wrote:

                                >Harvey, thanks for the info.
                                >
                                >I am wandering if the Griggly 8" mini shear/brake would be easier on coated PCB than the shear?

                                Nope. It's the flex of the board when sheared. Less when cut, even
                                less if diamond cut or milled.

                                My understanding of a shear vs a shear/brake is that the brake part
                                allows bending metal, and therefore, is not relevant to the argument.

                                >Will the shear/brake make straight cuts better than the the shear?

                                You need to hold the board against a straight brace and keep it from
                                wandering when sheared. Otherwise, a shear does a fine job. Good
                                lighting and layout marks on the board will help.

                                Harvey