Re: etch resist as solder mask, and laminator discovery

  • sailingto
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010

      > (This list is about doing things cheaply, right? :)

      GREAT!!! That means "I" am on the right list - I'm CHEAP!! :):)

      Ken
    • David B
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2010
        --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, DJ Delorie <dj@...> wrote:

        > First, some photos: http://www.delorie.com/pcb/lab/
        >
        > I wanted to try this in case I needed it in the future, and this board
        > was simple enough that it didn't matter if it worked or not. Got to
        > remember to avoid the thin bits of mask between pads, though - they
        > easily come loose.
        >
        > The discovery is about laminating 1/16" (63 mil) clad. Usually my
        > laminator doesn't like accepting these, I have to push pretty hard to
        > get it to "catch" and roll through. This time, I was trying to avoid
        > air bubbles in the mask. Usually I wrap the film around the leading
        > edge of the board, and hold the trailing edge tight, so that air
        > bubbles won't get trapped. In this case, I didn't quite have enough
        > film (it was a scrap) so I put the pcb on a piece of paper, leaving
        > most of the paper on the leading edge side, and taped the film over it
        > (taped it to the paper, not the pcb). That way, the laminator could
        > grab the paper and I had time to pick up the trailing edge of the film
        > and hold it while the laminator pulled in the paper/film/pcb.
        >
        > I was expecting problems when the pcb got to the rollers, but it got
        > drawn in just as smoothly as the paper! There was a bump when it
        > exited, but the lamination was nearly perfect. So I'm thinking, when
        > you do 1/16 clad, leave enough of the TT/film/whatever paper on the
        > leading edge that you can fold it over enough to tuck under the pcb's
        > edge, so that the laminator can grab the fold and draw the PCB in.

        Try cold rolling through the laminator first. I find this pushs the air out before hot laminating.

        > Anyway, back to the mask... after developing, I put it under the UV
        > again for 3x my normal exposure to harden it. Any idea how it will
        > hold up to soldering? It's Riston.

      • DJ Delorie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
          "David B" <davidlbarber@...> writes:
          > > I was expecting problems when the pcb got to the rollers, but it got
          >
          > Try cold rolling through the laminator first. I find this pushs the
          > air out before hot laminating.

          The discovery isn't about air bubbles, it's about getting 1/16" PCBs
          to *fit* into the laminator. If I hold the end of the film up as it's
          entering, I usually don't have problems with air bubbles. *Steam*
          bubbles are a different story - but laminating below 212F seems to
          solve that problem.