Re: [Homebrew_PCBs] Gerber file converter

  • Stefan Trethan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
      I had this sitting in my inbox for ages now, finally I got around to
      try it and it is just what I was looking for.

      Can we use this tool commercially? To produce documentation for
      commercial products is what I mean, not to sell the software itself.

      Also a suggestion for future versions: Allow merging of several gerber
      files into one tiff, e.g. copper with outline.

      This tool exactly fills a void, it was such a bother to export gerber
      to images, thanks for making it.

      ST

      On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Adam Seychell<a_seychell@...> wrote:
      > Hi, I recently updated gerb2tiff command line tool for converting Gerber
      > files to TIFF raster image.
      > If anyone is interested, the new version is available for download at my
      > home page
      > http://members.optusnet.com.au/eseychell/gerb2tiff.html
      >
      > Adam
    • Leslie Newell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi Stefan,

        It is GPL so you can use it for any purpose. You could even sell it if
        you wished but any changes you make must be made available to others for
        free.

        Les

        Stefan Trethan wrote:
        > I had this sitting in my inbox for ages now, finally I got around to
        > try it and it is just what I was looking for.
        >
        > Can we use this tool commercially? To produce documentation for
        > commercial products is what I mean, not to sell the software itself.
        >
        > Also a suggestion for future versions: Allow merging of several gerber
        > files into one tiff, e.g. copper with outline.
        >
        > This tool exactly fills a void, it was such a bother to export gerber
        > to images, thanks for making it.
        >
        > ST

      • Adam Seychell
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2009
          Stefan Trethan wrote:

          > I had this sitting in my inbox for ages now, finally I got around to
          > try it and it is just what I was looking for.
          >
          > Can we use this tool commercially? To produce documentation for
          > commercial products is what I mean, not to sell the software itself.
          >
          > Also a suggestion for future versions: Allow merging of several gerber
          > files into one tiff, e.g. copper with outline.
          >
          > This tool exactly fills a void, it was such a bother to export gerber
          > to images, thanks for making it.
          >
          > ST

          Hi Stefan , its nice to know someone out there has a use for it. Yes,
          its GPL and no restriction to use it commercially, provided the program
          is unmodified.
          gerb2tiff initially accepted multiple Gerber files that would render
          each consecutively onto a single overlay. I removed this feature for no
          good reason other than I thought it wasn't needed. You can concatenate
          multiple Gerber files ending in a M02 command and then use the resulting
          Gerber file. But its trivial for me to modify the program to read
          multiple files via the command line.

          Let me know of any other features requests or problems including bugs,
          and documentation. Its been tested on a collection of about 70 Gerber
          files from about 12 different CAD packages. I'll notify you on the next
          release, version 1.0.3.

          Adam